The last Emperor of the Northern Song Dynasty

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Loong Siew, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

The last emperor of the Northern Song Dynasty.

Emperor Qin Zong (1126-27). Jing Kang Yuan Bao. Li script. Hartill 16.510.

In his twenties when his predecessor, the literary gifted but politically incompetent Emperor Hui Zong abdicated the throne to him. His reign lasted no more than a year before the Imperial family was captured and the Northern Song capital Kaifeng was overran by the Jurchen Jin army. Thus his coinage are noted to be very rare.

Although his capture marked the end of the Northern Song Dynasty where half of China fell to Jin rule, the prosperous south continued the Dynasty under the southern Song Dynasty with their capital in Lin An (modern day Hangzhou) for many years to come before falling to the Mongols. 2016-04-26 00.22.46.jpg

stevex6, chrsmat71, Orfew and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Is there a reason for the poor craftmanship of this coin? Northern Song coins are typically of very high quality, but this one looks like the coins from the eras of multiple smaller dynasties.

Thanks for sharing this very rare coin.

Loong Siew likes this.
  4. Loong Siew

Times of war... when the Jin army invaded and the subsequent campaigns by Yue Fei after, craftsmanship was the least of their concern. Notwithstanding iron coinage (often a sign of bad times) was also used

Alegandron and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  5. TypeCoin971793

Yup. War will do it. I forgot about that.

Loong Siew likes this.
  6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i have a few coins of the penultimate northern song fellow you mentioned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stevex6 and Loong Siew like this.
  7. Loong Siew

Very nice...! The Song Emperors are interesting as that they change their regnal Titles regularly. But they do have amazing calligraphic styles..

8. TypeCoin971793

I am particularly fond of the gold and seal scripts of the Song Dynasty. They are some of the most beautiful coins produced in imperial China.

Loong Siew likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted