The last country to use silver coins.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Ron W

Ron W Member

You have the best explanation for a answer than anyone on this forum about this subject.. Thanks for the great input.

giorgio11 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

At least we all agree about this topic........

4. giorgio11

giorgio11 Senior Numismatist

As for misinformation, let's clear up a couple of things regarding Kennedy halves. I used to have one of the top-notch Registry Sets of Kennedy halves, and my 1964 SMS that sold for $47,000 still holds the all-time auction record as of this date.

So I have some credentials.

The last silver Kennedy halves struck for circulation were the 1969-D Kennedys, made to the extent of more than 129 million pieces, according to the Red Book. The 1970-D and 1970-S Kennedy halves are silver—that is true—but they were not struck for circulation. If you wanted a 1970-D silver Kennedy half, originally you had to buy a Mint Set, and if you wanted a 1970-S silver Kennedy half, you had to buy a Proof Set. Nowadays, of course, many sets have been broken up. And younger collectors do not remember such "old facts." This was the year I turned 21, so I remember it pretty clearly!

And I remember picking out 1969-D and 1968-D 40% silver Kennedy halves from circulation ... as well as the 1965–67 coins that lack a mintmark. You still can find them occasionally in bags of half dollars. It is possible that some 1970-dated proofs and mint set coins entered circulation later, but that would be the exception, nt the rule.

Kind regards,

George

manny9655, TheGame and coin_nut like this.
  5. czyznie

czyznie New Member

Hi there, I'm interested in late-circulating silver coins. I think we can distinguish those coins which were struck for circulation purpose, and those which werent, but were in circulation e.g. this 200 korun czech coin.

USA is not even close to the last silver coins.

Coins i know about(except of mentioned above):
    - Poland- 50 000 zlotych 1988 Pilsudski- 1 million pcs(pretty low mintage but it circulated)
    - Hungary- 200 forint 1992-1994; National Bank, Ferenc Deak, each about 6 millions pcs.
    - Latvia- 10 latu 1993 Proclamation of republic(i've seen a little worn ones)
    - Germany- 10 mark and 10 euro coins- usually minted more than 1.5 million pcs
    - Portugal: 500 and 1000 escudos minted in huge number; sometimes 2 million pcs for 10 million people country. Plus 7.5 euro even from 2017 and 2018 which are oficially circulating commemorative coin but the mintage is low
    -Austria; 5 euro coins, minted even 500 000 pcs for 9 million people country

I think if the mintage is far bigger than amount of collectors in some coutry we are dealing with more or less circulation coin. It must have bullion value lower then nominal of course. Sadly due to the Copernicus-Gresham law "bad money drives out good" so we dont see silver coins daily, theres simply too much worthless money in circulation

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  6. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I agree the US was not the last at all. We might have have been the last major country minting high purity silver in the billions.

Good list. To it I would add the Mexican 20 Nuevos Pesos from 1993-1995.

7. czyznie

czyznie New Member

I skipped it becauce it was mentioned earlier. Hungary, huh? Poland here

8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Those do not count in my opinion. :) Germany's last "regular" silver coins were minted in 1974, and taken out of circulation on 1 Aug 1975. All those later pieces (10 DM, €10 and nowadays €20) could/can be had at face. But they were and are not intended for circulation.

Christian

9. Ag76

Ag76 Coins 'n' history

10. Bubbles hehehe

Bubbles hehehe New Member

Mexico was the last country to still put silver coins in circulation

11. czyznie

czyznie New Member

Hi, I encountered recently silver (15g .900) 100 francs coins minted between 1984 and 1997. Those are, in my opinion, classic circulating commemorative coins because mintage is pretty big (up to 5 millions). Here you have 100 fr i bought recently, it is visible worned out.

Chrisild, i cant agree 10 mark coins were'nt strike for circulation purpose- mintage is too big for collectors, plus fineness (.625) is to weak for bullion coinage. Also you can easily get those in circulated state.

Bonus: visibly worned out in circulation 2004 10 euro coin (18 g .925). Mintage- 4 millions (800 000 each mint)

Attached Files:

Ag76 likes this.
  12. czyznie

czyznie New Member

Recently i found these 2013 french 5 euro coins. It's .333 silver, mintage 2 000 000 pcs each, not proof coins. What's more, these were probbably distributed in bank rolls. Classic commemorative circulating coins for me. What do you think? Maybe some French could tell some more about these coins? I can't find anywhere composition of this coins, I only know 1/3 is silver, rest is probbably copper or copper nickel.

Attached Files:

13. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Hi czyznie,

Those are non-circulating commemorative coins with an "uncirculated finish" they were not for circulation and sold directly to collectors.

some series examples here in case you are interested in the rest of this collector series from 2013.
    https://www.coin-database.com/series/france-values-of-the-french-republic-euro.html

it's .333 silver and the rest is filler metals, copper nickel ect. the way everyone does it for the leftovers after the silver content. you know about what there is to know except for the rest of the series really.

14. czyznie

czyznie New Member

Yes, I know about other coins from this serie. However, mintage of 25 euro coins is much, much smaller. Concept that this 5 euro coins were minted for collectors purpose only doesn't make sense because theres no 2 millions of collectors in France, no chance. Maybe some of this coins were sold directely to collectors, but how do You explain distributing these coins in bankrolls? This is not how you treat collector issues ;) I mean, I realise 5 euro coins did not circulate (because of Copernicus-Grisham law) but it doesn't mean it wasn't planned to be circulating commemorative coins. On numista not so long ago these were described as circulating commemorative coins.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  15. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

According to Numista, it was not a circulating coin.
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces1785.html

I didn't realize when I replied that to his was an old thread. Shame on me!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted