The last country to use silver coins.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Oct 24, 2012.

1. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

But the question was silver used in business strikes.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

There are several possible answers but I believe (I don't "know") that the last freely circulating silver coin would be the Austrian 10 Shilling minted through 1973. This coin probably passed out of circulation in 1978 but would have "circulated" somewhat right through the '90's.

Much depends on how you define your terms and to some extent the last circulating silver is merely the the least silver value relative to face value. As recently as 2006 the Japan silver 100 Y was worth 80c US in face value and only about 50c in silver. It would circulate to some extent. Japan has a 10,000 Y coin that can, at least in theory, circulate even today.

4. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

That coin ceased to be legal tender in April 1975, and could be redeemed until the end of March 1977. But as the Cu-Ni coin that replaced it had a similar design, some of those silver pieces may afterwards have "circulated" to some extent indeed.

In Germany the 5 DM silver coin, last minted in 1974, was legal tender until the end of July 1975. Since it could (and still can) be redeemed, some people may have used it after that date, but I suppose those were exceptions.

Also, both Austria and Germany issued silver collector coins at face value until late 2010 (AT) or early 2011 (DE). So theoretically people could come across them in circulation. Practically, however, pretty much every piece stayed in the hands of dealers and collectors. ;)

Christian

5. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

The ASE is minted in business strikes and proof.

PS The issue is actually the last country to use silver coins.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I think a better way to phase it would be "What was the last country to issue silver coins intended to circulate as money."

The US puts out a business strike quality ASE but they don't intend for it to circulate as money. Canada recently issued a $20 face value silver coin ofr $20 and the face value is greater than the intrinsic value so it could in theory circulate, but the mintage was restricted and it has a collector value significantly greater than it's face value. It is also not intended to circulate. Several years back when silver was low it dropped below the face value of the silver maple leaf and they could circulate (if you could get someone to accept them) but that didn't more up Canada's date for last issuing circulating silver coins. But the Mexican 10, 20, and possibly 50 New Pesos of 1993, 94, and 95 were released into circulation with the intention that they would circulate as "coin of the realm" along with the 1, 2, and 5 new pesos coins.

giorgio11 and brandon08967 like this.
  7. marid3

marid3 Member

Thanks Conder -this is why I come to CT.

8. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

brandon08967 likes this.
  9. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

ASE's are legal tender and have been used in "everyday transactions."

If I am being too technical, just say that instead of trying to prove me wrong.

Burton Strauss III likes this.
  10. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

I agree, confusing thread

11. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

That's because there is no easy and obvious answer. :)

Christian

12. rockyyaknow

rockyyaknow Well-Known Member

You are alive!

13. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

I stopped using silver years ago. Nothing but plastic spoons and forks for me now.

Mike Davis likes this.
  14. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

As an experiment, I used one of the 2012 Canada $20 silver coins ($20 for $20 program) to purchase a coffee at Starbucks last spring. They took it without hesitation...

Technically, that coin was promoted as something that could be used anywhere in Canada, as legal tender...

Roger
    --

15. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

I am not too sure. That post was from 10/25/2012.
    His latest activity is from 2/18/2013

I sure hope he's okay.

16. rockyyaknow

rockyyaknow Well-Known Member

I did not read the date. Thanks for clearing that up.

17. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Sorry if i missed it in this thread, but didn't Mexico mint a bimetallic silver coin for circulation 20 year ago or so? I know i own some circulated pieces.

18. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Yes, Tyler G. mentioned those here. Have been to Mexico before and never got any of those in circulation. But that does not mean they did not circulate. :)

Christian

19. truchadorada

truchadorada New Member

hahaha... USA is not even close to be the latest country to have been using silver in their coins. Americans always think they are the big deal.

Mexico, France, Germany they issued coins until '70, '80 and '90.

20. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

Second, did you notice that this thread is almost 5 years old?

Chris

21. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

hahaha... 5 year old thread..BTW welcome to CoinTalk

Draft saved Draft deleted