The large bronzes of Ptolemies

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Basileus Antialcidas, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Basileus Antialcidas

Basileus Antialcidas Active Member

So I just received my first Ptolemaic AE and by far the largest coin of my collection, 43mm 70g Ptolemy IV ! I was wondering why would they make such big coins? What would be the use for it? It seems quite impractical to have such heavy coins (I imagine several) with you to just go and buy something casually, as I suspect being a bronze coin it should not hold a huge value, but rather a face value that would not have to do anything with the metal's weight.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

I don’t know why they made such big coins with low values but they still did that with pennies until around a century ago. Just look at US and Canadian large cents. I think maybe they did it so people wouldn’t lose them?

Egry likes this.
  4. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

upload_2021-3-9_19-20-56.png
    Ptolemy lll AE Reduced Drachm
    OBS: Head of Zeus Ammon
    REV: Eagle facing left on thunderbolt.
    Cornucopia with fillets in Left Field
    ΧΡ Chrestogram between legs
    ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΠΤΟΛΕΜΑΙΟΥ
    Sv 964
    40mm 73.9gm

Broucheion, Alegandron, Bing and 7 others like this.
  5. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Maybe it was worth more then?
    The 18th century 5 kopek from Russia is a massive 42mm and 52g, but it had solid buying power

Pellinore, Evan Saltis and dougsmit like this.
  6. John Conduitt

John Conduitt Well-Known Member

Perhaps it was to do with the weight. As others have said, in more modern times there were similarly huge copper coins because people were used to silver being worth face value, but the authorities wanted to switch to copper (for various reasons, sometimes honourable, sometimes not).

In Georgian Britain, they needed to mint copper coins due to a severe shortage of small change. Silver was in short supply and in any case low denominations made of silver were very small. It was believed the face value of a coin should correspond to the value of the material it was made from, so each tuppence coin was made from two pence worth of copper (2 ounces).

George III 'Cartwheel' Twopence, 1797
    upload_2021-3-9_19-17-45.png
    Birmingham. Copper, 41mm, 56.89g (S 3776).

In Russia in the 1650s, tsar Alexis I began minting large numbers of copper kopeks to increase government revenue and help fund his wars. Since the value of the copper kopek was artificially equated to the value of the silver kopek, this led to a devaluation of the ruble and a severe financial crisis. There were riots.

Alexis I Kopek, 1654-1663
    upload_2021-3-9_19-24-20.png
    Moscow. Copper, 14x7mm, 0.56g (KG 1103).

Unsurprisingly, Peter I's copper coins were larger - his 5 kopeks in 1725 was 19.8g.

Peter I the Great 5 Kopeks, 1725
    upload_2021-3-9_19-35-50.png
    Kadashevsky Mint, Moscow. Copper, 19.8g (KM 165).

By the time of Elizabeth, they were double the size.

Elizabeth 5 Kopeks, 1759
    upload_2021-3-9_19-19-41.png
    Ekatarinburg. Copper, 41mm, 53.54g (Bit 439).

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  7. NewStyleKing

There was even heavier ae's that weighed c 90g + and measured c 46 mm of Ptolemy ll/lll. They must have figured hugely in bar room brawls and riot coshes where several put in a sock would be a great truncheon.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  8. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Silver was always scarce in Egypt, therefore bronze was a great alternative for low valued transactions and denominations. This was a win for the authorities, bronze had pure fiduciary value. Only silver tetradrachms were minted in the Ptolemaic kingdom (with very rare issues of didrachms and drachms.) These large silver denominations were easy to control, and using the Phoenician standard, the silver coins were not quickly exported since this weight standard was not used outside Egypt and Phoenicia. So the silver that was available stayed in Alexandrine territory as much as possible. Egypt therefore had a very close monetary system, both their silver as bronze.
    Since there are no smaller silver denominations, the authorities had to produce these fiduciary bronze coins to fill the gap, and these can sometimes weigh ~90g (largest bronze denomination). The largest bronze denomination is actually valued as a drachm, which is in my opinion a quite high value. I am sure that a Egyptian person living in that time were hoarding silver coins and wanted to get rid of the bronze token coins as much as possible.

9. OutsiderSubtype

OutsiderSubtype Well-Known Member

To add to what @Pavlos said the closed monetary system where only Ptolemaic coins of a unique standard were allowed to circulate was a deliberate strategic choice by the kings.

In addition to the profit potential from confiscation / re-minting, the system ensured that Cyrenaica, Phoenicia, Cyprus etc. could only trade their strategic natural resources to Egypt. Timber for shipbuilding for example. The Ptolemies saw it as a "national security" concern to maintain their supplies of timber and metals.

10. OutsiderSubtype

I guess that is a reason to post my Ptolemy III obol from Tyre. It's not especially big but it's definitely "sell us your cedars or else" money.

coin-outsider-collection-1wpCBb-stitched-basic-medium.jpg
    Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt. Ptolemy III Euergetes. 27mm, 11.94g. Minted circa 246-222 BCE. Bronze obol. Tyre mint. Obverse: Head of Zeus-Ammon right. Reverse: ΠTOΛEMAIOY BAΣIΛEΩΣ. Eagle holding a thunderbolt facing left. Club mint mark (for Tyre) in the left field. Svoronos 708.

Broucheion, Alegandron, Bing and 5 others like this.
  11. NewStyleKing

And yet Sheshonq lla's falcon sarcophagus is huge and made of solid silver ( I have seen it in Cairo) c 880 BC
    upload_2021-3-9_20-1-6.jpeg
    Inside there was a golden mask that attaches to a decayed cartonnage mummy case.
    [​IMG]

So with silver being scarcer than gold this must be technically more valuable than Tutankhamun's solid gold inner coffins...or not!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    philologus_1 likes this.
  12. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

I actually prefer the Ptolemaic issues from the Levant, quite north of Alexandria. :)
    upload_2021-3-9_14-6-53.png
    upload_2021-3-9_14-12-41.png

13. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

I would tend to agree with those that believe that after the coinage reform of c 265 BC when the bronze drachm was introduced, that the Ptolemies did attempt to strike a bronze coinage that was rather closer in value to its actual weight. These coins are very impressive and that factor alone might have been enough for them to become acceptable. However striking these coins must have taxed the then current technology of striking coins to its limit. However it should be noted that in the main the coins are well struck, centered and are usually devoid of significant problem associated with die deterioration. Ptolemy IV ae Drachm Alexandria 218?-204 BC Obv Head of Zeus Ammon right Rv Eagle standing left wings folded on thunderbolt. Lorber CPE B 508 Svoronos 992 66.80 grms 42 mm Photo by W. Hansen Sv992-3ptIV.jpeg

Broucheion, Alegandron, Bing and 3 others like this.
  14. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Another example of what @OutsiderSubtype mentioned regarding the deliberate strategy for a closed monatary system is the Pergamene kingdom. Eumenes II started to issue "cistophoric" tetradrachms (cistohphorus), these were tariffed at 3 Attic drachms, so when exporting these tetradrachms the coin loses 1 drachm of it's value. Therefore these tetradrachms were staying in the Pergamene monetary system as much as possible. A clever way to control all the silver in your lands.

philologus_1 and OutsiderSubtype like this.
  15. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

ptolemy II (2).JPG Ptolemy III best.jpg Ptolemy IV (2).jpg

These Egyptians were lightweights compared to the bronze coins of the Roman Republic who were circulating at the same time period.

P1150665 (5) Aes grave.JPG
    a Dupondius Aes grave weight 450-500 gram, a Sestertius around a Kilo,
    (one in the British Museum)

Broucheion, Alegandron, Bing and 2 others like this.
  16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Has anyone heard the story that these large bronzes were used in the first vending machines? As I recall the story (but not the source), the coins could be rolled down a troth and open a dispenser of holy water according to the weight of the coin. Does anyone have the source for this? I do object to the idea that these were 'small change'. Most ancient coins were quite a bit of money. A small silver or large bronze 'drachm' was closer to a fifty dollar bill than to a fifty cent piece. Prices then were not like modern gas stations stating prices in tenths of a cent ($2.67 and 9/10ths here today). Who are they kidding?

17. OutsiderSubtype

@dougsmit

I have also heard that Heron of Alexandria invented such a "vending machine". I think if you search for his name you should be able to find sources.

I think many of his inventions were used in temples to make the temple experience more impressive.

18. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

There was a famous statuary group of two gods and goddesses which would magically embrace each other when the time was right.
    It was because one statue was iron and the other lodestone, and they had it hooked up to some machinery underneath that allowed the magnets to snap together and wow the public.

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  19. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Active Member

The weights of the heaviest Ptolemaic bronzes (69 and 92 gm) suggest to me that these correspond to a coin “drachm” and “octobol “respectively, although this is not the conventional view. In any case these coins were still fiduciaries, i.e, they were valued at more than their intrinsic value.

92 gm is the weight of the deben (= 10 qedets) the weight standard of the New Kingdom and later.

Ross G.

20. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Hero/Heron of Alexandria did invent a coin-operated vending machine for holy water, as well as a steam engine, the Aeliopile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_of_Alexandria

Here's my big, bad, bronze

PTOLEMAIC EMPIRE

EGYPT. ALEXANDRIA.

Ptolemy IV 221-205 BC AE Drachma. (75.52g, 41mm, 12h)

Obverse: Bust of Zeus Ammon right

Reverse: ΠΤΟΛΕΜΑΙΟΥ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ, Eagle standing left on thunderbolt, cornucopiae in front, ΛΙ between legs

Reference: SNG Cop 199.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

Indeed! I have some information about this in my coin document associated with my 80-drachmai Augustus AE issue from Alexandria (Emmet 1; Köln 1; RPC I 5001) because that coin is more contemporary with the inventor. Although the type is comparatively light to "biggy-sized" Ptolemaic issues, its weight of almost 16 grams would still have been sufficient to provide the needed catalyst. See the image below along with the text in blue which came from this now inactive webpage: http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/HeronAlexandria2.htm
    upload_2021-3-9_16-48-29.png
    A coin was to be inserted in A and land on the receiver R causing it to fall. This action would raise the other side of the lever P to rise opening the valve and allowing water to flow out of the spout M. The coin would slide off of the receiver and the valve would close.

And better yet, for a modern-day model, see here:
    https://www.smith.edu/hsc/museum/ancient_inventions/hsc18b.htm

Draft saved Draft deleted