The Kibotoi of Apameia

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Aug 10, 2015.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Wow, cyrrhus, that's a mighty admirable set! I think Mat just posted the Augustus one a couple of days ago.

Cyrrhus likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I only have this ancient Greek coin of Apameia. It figures Tyche on obverse, with Athena holding Nike on reverse. TychAthNik.jpg TycAtNi Apameia.jpg

stevex6, Pishpash, Bing and 3 others like this.
  4. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

got that one also:)) better example and one with a Elephant !!

5. Cyrrhus

He your is different them mine, I have one with Athena !!
    See pictures of a few more.
    And what about the Augustus with the Meander river symbol on the reverse !!

IMG_0118.JPG IMG_0119.JPG

chrsmat71, TIF, stevex6 and 5 others like this.
  6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Those are indeed great coins, Cyrrhus, but not all Apameias are created equal. The coin with elephant is the Apameia of Seleucis and Pieria, Syria. Apameia ad Maeandrum was founded by Antiochus I, named after his mother Apama. Apamea Syria was founded by Seleucus I, named after his wife, Apama. (It was a fortress at which he stabled 500 elephants!)

zumbly likes this.
  7. Cyrrhus

oooo sorry, I know there are three cities called like this, that what you have a lot, common names.
    Maybe a nice new topic? How many Seleucis are there?

8. John Anthony

The Seleucids were ornery about using the same name over and over. Probably Laodicea is the most overused: Laodicea on the Lycus, Laodicea Pontica, Laodicea Combusta, Laodicea ad Libanum, Laodicea ad Mare, Laodicea (Arcadia), Laodicea (Mesopotamia), Laodicea in Media, not to mention Beirut was once Laodicea in Phoenicia.

But in that sense, they were no different than we are today. There are 41 cities in the US named Springfield.

9. Cyrrhus

fantastic John !!

10. Cyrrhus

Another Apameia, from another city....Tigris?
    Now I have to prepare myself for my bike ride tomorrow after work !! have a nice evening !!

IMG_0078.JPG IMG_0079.JPG

chrsmat71, Bing, dlhill132 and 5 others like this.
  11. Here's the coin in question. Nice brassy surfaces and a little on the heavy side
    Phrygia, Apameia AE forgery.png
    8.77g
    23.9mm

12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> well, I certainly "love" your coin's eye-appeal!! (it's yummy, iamtiberius)

Here are the stats associated with my sweetie:

Phrygia, Apameia AE20
    Date: 100-50 BC
    Diameter: 20.5 mm
    Weight: 7.7 grams

Obverse: Helmeted head of Athena.
    Reverse: Eagle between pilei

[​IMG] phyb.jpg

oh, and here is that same link that I posted on page-1 (it has several diameter and weight references)

https://cngcoins.com/Search.aspx?PAGE_NUM=&PAGE=1&TABS_TYPE=1&CONTAINER_TYPE_ID=2&IS_ADVANCED=1&ITEM_DESC=Phrygia Apameia eagle&ITEM_IS_SOLD=1&SEARCH_IN_CONTAINER_TYPE_ID_1=1&SEARCH_IN_CONTAINER_TYPE_ID_3=1&SEARCH_IN_CONTAINER_TYPE_ID_2=1

NOTE => I would "not" worry about your coin's weight, for I merely glanced at the coin-shop tab and noticed that their examples ranged from 7.3 grams through 9.7 grams!! (your sweet example fits perfectly into the ol' mix, my friend)

whatever you do => do "not" listen to JA

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    chrsmat71, zumbly, Bing and 3 others like this.
  13. John Anthony

You're right - questionable it is. The weight is a little too high, the style is off, and the color is brassy. Even if it was authentic and over-cleaned, it should have a more coppery look. I would guess it was a tourist token of some sort.

14. I've only seen 1 other example that has the same coloring. It was in a forum member's gallery. I bought this at a coin show in Oceanside from an individual who specialized in american colonials. I'll never see that $40 again. haha

15. John Anthony

Don't take my word for it, post it at FORVM.

16. I have had it in my questionable folder for about 6 years now. But, there seems to be some others just as heavy/heavier
    http://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=114697

17. John Anthony

Yeah, the range on these is so big, I'm guessing there had to be two denominations. That one looks brassy too, so it might have been the alloy they were using. I'm going to make the bold assertion that I am unequivocally and resolutely on the fence about this one. :)

Magnus Maximus likes this.
  18. zumbly

The one in this CNG lot has the same coloring as yours too:
    http://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=35607

I recall reading a paper that stated that this particular issue from Apameia was struck in brass... I'll see if I can locate the paper again. The smaller denominations had different types (Zeus/Artemis, Tyche/Pan, and I believe one other) and were struck in bronze.

I don't think yours is outside of the median weight range, though as JA mentioned the range was quite wide. Some in CNG's sale records, in Spinal Tap fashion, go all the way "up to eleven" :D.

Jwt708 likes this.
  19. zumbly

20. Cyrrhus

Just arrive today a new one: Vespasian Apameia, Plancius Varus !! IMG_0122.JPG IMG_0123.JPG

chrsmat71, Orfew, Bing and 2 others like this.
  21. John Anthony

zumbly likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted