The Kennedy 2012 Silver Half Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by McBlzr, Jan 19, 2014.

1. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

2012-S Kennedy Silver PCGS PR70.JPG

Chester-Copperpot posted this on another forum, so this is his quote:

Should we crack out our 2012 Silver Proof sets for grading ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

As has been said on two other forums currently active, cracking out a modern to submit for grading and slabbing, hoping to achieve a 70 and the other adjectives, is gamble you more likely than not will be disappointed with.

4. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

More Kennedy collectors than silver eagle collectors? I think not.

5. ryanlglass

ryanlglass Active Member

perhaps it is a hype fad price? I think the 1950 D Jefferson is a great example of low mintage coins with low premiums. Yes they were worth a lot of money decades ago, but hording has made great examples of the coin very very common.

6. Ed Sims

Ed Sims Well-Known Member

Now would be a good time to sell any duplicates if you have any. If you wait too much longer the demand, and price, probably won't be there when you go to sell. There's only so many people out there who would pay these prices and once they get theirs there is only the way the prices will go, down. Plenty of supply and no demand.

7. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

Who in thier right mind would collect Kennedy half dollars, YUK. They are such an ugly coin.. Save your money and buy Franklins!

8. Ed Sims

LOL!

Seriously, the only Kennedy half dollars that have any eye appeal are the 90% silver 1964, the 40% silver 1965 to 1970, and the 90% silver proof San Francisco issues from 1992 to the present only because they have real silver in them. That is my opinion and you have the right to accept or reject it.

9. Nuglet

Nuglet Active Member

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  10. 132andBush

132andBush Member

I reject. I'll take Kennedys over Franklins any day.

ryanlglass and BUncirculated like this.
  11. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

People who actually collect for the love of the hobby.

12. ryanlglass

ryanlglass Active Member

heck yea, Kennedy's are great looking coins

gamebird98 likes this.
  13. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

The other reason that the 2012 silver half dollar is selling so high is because it is part of the 2012 silver proof set, which is selling for $170 on ebay. It is almost three times its original price.

McBlzr likes this.
  14. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

LOL. Are you not the King of Kennedys in Maine, and perhaps the whole east coast? I don't think people sense your sarcasm.

Caleb likes this.
  15. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I hope mine will go up in value too! I paid $20 for mine July 2012. But there is some gross Rev hazing/toning.

2012-S 50c Obv Slab Silver PF69UC.jpg

2012-S 50c Rev Slab Silver PF69UC.jpg

16. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

Not "the King", just a collector but if I can convince people to collect Franklins instead of Kennedys then that means more Kennedys for me!

17. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I suspect that your PR-70 will suffer the same fate as the geeks and loose the grade even though it is on the slab. Maybe one day a TPG will find a way to guarantee that a coin will remain in its present condition, but the fact is that most problems that appear after a coin is put into a slab (or any other form of long term storage) was there before it was placed there. If there comes a day when foolproof storage methods are made, I will buy PR-70 coins, until then I consider them a waste. JMHO

18. Ed Sims

The only difference between a modern proof 69 and proof 70 is the quota was already met for the proof 70's. The grading services all have a predetermined percentage of proof 70's they will designate as such and once that number has been reached it won't matter what the coin looks like it will only get a proof 69. How they determine which becomes a proof 69 and a proof 70 is a flip of a coin, because really, there truly isn't any difference between the two grades based solely on how the coins are produced.

19. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Don't forget, there were an additional 50,169 of these halves in the Limited Edition Silver Proof Set. So, the tentative mintage is actually 395,443 + 50,169 = 445,612.

Draft saved Draft deleted