The Jefferson Nickel that Never Was ...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by johnmilton, May 20, 2022.

1. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Felix Schlag won the contest in a field of 390 entries for the Jefferson Nickel design. The strange thing is, the mint changed the design almost completely before the first coins were issued in 1938. It makes you wonder why did the mint pick Schlag's design in the first place? Here is a modern fantasy piece that showcases the original Schlag design.

Proposed 1938 Matte O.jpg Proposed 1938 Matte R.jpg

This design was never produced in coin form. Schlag submitted a plaster model, but it was never turned into dies that could make a finished coin. This is modern fantasy piece.

The Jefferson portrait was changed slightly and the lettering was changed to the "Roman style." The reverse was modified completely.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

This #21 souvenir display pannel was part of my Jefferson Nickels collection years ago...It has been posted on CT coin forum before....if you search the title.

Sold off with most of my Jeffersons collection...but still have 2 complete sets of MS and proofs with varieties, DSCN4218-1.jpg DSCN4215-1.jpg DSCN4217-1.jpg

4. russell1256

russell1256 Well-Known Member

I would love to buy a copy.

5. Paddy54

Not copy he made 150 of them for family and friends...as the mint screwed him a second time, as he was to get 200 proof nickels...and the mint did not supply him the 200 proofs as promised. He ended up scrounging up the 150 to make these boards.
    It was very well done...the frame a nice light oak. And all were professionaly done.and signed.
    You could see the reverse,I often wonder if it had toned?

6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

From what I have read, Schlag had these cards made up to sell, but there was little interest in them at the time. He donated one to the Chicago Historical Society, which had helped him develop the Jefferson Nickel design, and another to the ANA and give a few to friends. The rest were stored in his attic. It must have been a better than average attic because they don’t seen to heat, cold or moisture damaged.

When wife was ill, he sold the remaining cards and a small coin collection. He was surprised when the cards cropped in numismatic ads for $300 each. Schlag lamented that he was never able to get the big bucks for his signature. The money always seemed to go to the after sellers. I think Heritage holds the record high price at $5,250. I could have bought one a decade ago for around $1,800.

7. Paddy54

Well my mind set Schlag got the nasty end of the stick a few times from the government.
    He was a WW l vet who fought for the Kaiser.
    I do know he didn't pass a rick man...in fact his head stone was donated by a nickel club,and to my knowledge that was years after his passing.

Draft saved Draft deleted