The Internet

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Otter, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Otter

Otter Likes shiny objects

So I have been out of active collecting for a number of years. I see the Grey Sheet is still around. Not sure what else has changed.

How has the internet changed the coin collecting industry?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Have your heard of eBay?

4. Otter

eBay -- but of course

LOL, yes. When I first was active, you hardly ever saw slabbed coins and shops had bid boards. I am guessing that only slabbed coins are on eBay and there seems to be quite a bit of controversy over slabbing vs. using your own eye -- which obviously is much more difficult to do digitally.

I am familiar with a number of industries, especially those historically full of mom and pop shops, that the internet has set on its heels....eliminating business that add little value along the way and creating new ones.

In the 'old days', you got coins by going rolls, buying from a local dealer (who almost always had a shop), a club, or on the high-end an auction. Does eBay play a huge roll now?

Lets say I want to sell some old silver, I used to have to go to my local shop, is anyone buying direct?

5. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Boy, you have a LOT to learn!! :mouth:

There are slabbed coins on eBay but the only ones that eBay allows to be listed in the heading or description are PCGS, NGC, ANACS and ICG. All other TPGs (Third Party Graders) are not allowed to be referenced in the heading or description although a photo of the slab (and its grade) is allowed.

And there are tons of, how shall I say, "less than accurate" TPGs out there. What SGS calls an MS-70 a reputable TPG may call an MS-63 (or less).

There a lots and lots of raw coins on eBay. Like you said, it is hard to grade a coin from only photos, especially when the photos are taken to hide a coin's defects.

Oh, and there are TONS and TONS of counterfeits being sold as genuine on eBay. Most of these are from China. Many of these counterfeits are easy to spot once you know what to look for but many are deceptive. Lately there have even been some very deceptive fake PCGS slabs popping up on eBay. For a real eye opener click on search and search the threads for "counterfeit", "China", "Chinese", "fake", etc.

Not every seller on eBay is a crook but there are enough of them that you have to be careful.

6. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

For me it's been about access to information and community. Back about ten years ago I found the newsgroup rec.collecting.coins, and was on there pretty much every day. It took a few years but I got fed up with the un-moderated format and started up Coin Talk as a clean alternative. Now I couldn't even imagine the old days when it was just me and whatever books I bought or got from the library.

7. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

And we are eternally grateful to you for creating CoinTalk.

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

PLEASE:
    Don't just jump into this new market until you do a lot of 'update' reading.

Feel free to ask questions, and ask a lot.

And... have fun!

9. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

Peter, I totally agree, If it weren't for the internet I probably would not be back into coins.
    There are a lot of evils online, but sites like Cointalk help wade through the mire and avoid most pitfalls.
    There is so much information and coin sources available online it is incredible.

10. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

Just don't ask Frank. ;) :D
    Sorry, I could not resist.
    If you hadn't guessed Otter, there is also some lighthearted ribbing that goes on here. Welcome

11. Otter

So besides CoinTalk, what is another good source of update reading?

Ribbing, I am also a member/moderator of several scuba related forums, where good (and sometimes bad-) natured ribbing goes on.... :)

12. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Otter,

Are you a member of ANA (American Numismatic Association)? If you are, you have access to their extensive numismatic library. All it will cost you is shippig and insurance each way.

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Otter:
    I would subscribe to Coin World and Numismatic News, both are still around, although the subscription prices may amaze you.

The get the usual suspects: The Guide Book (Red Book) and then decide on a series that you want to collect.

Odds are that there will be reference book for that series.
    Also, check out Whitman Publishing -- they have a whole series of reference books on many topics, including medals, and a soon to be published book on the Guide Book (sure to be a best seller).

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Treashunt said: Also, check out Whitman Publishing -- they have a whole series of reference books on many topics, including medals, and a soon to be published book on the Guide Book (sure to be a best seller).

Hey Frank, is there a reference guide out there that deals with medals produced by the US Mint? Time period between 1970 to present day.

15. Otter

Sounds like much has changed and much has remained the same. Maybe I should go re-read by red/blue books from the 60s and 70s :)

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Draft saved Draft deleted