The inscrutable US Mint: Order "on hold"

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by dreamer94, Aug 31, 2007.

1. dreamer94

dreamer94 Coin Collector

Can anyone explain what it means for an order to be "on hold". It is amazing that the US Mint web site has gone so far as to have an FAQ titled "Various order statuses" that doesn't mention "On Hold". They state:

The different order statuses are Your Order is in Process, Your Order Request is Completed, There is a Problem Processing Your Order ,Your Order was Cancelled and Your Order is Suspended. For more detailed information regarding these shipping statuses, please refer to the questions and answers related to each status by clicking on the links.

Elsewhere, they state
    "Orders can be in a temporary status of; suspended (S), error (E) or held (H) during the normal order processing period. If your order is still in one of these statuses after 7 business days, please contact customer service at 1-800-USA-MINT (6468)."

So, it could be normal and temporary.
    But WHAT THE #@*& DOES IT MEAN? :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Probably means you ain't getting it. :)

4. decru

decru Member

On Hold mean that you have a reserved order, but the mint needs to verify the existence of your card, and that you are not violating the 1 per option limit (if you are ordering somethig with a limit). The hold status has nothing to do with you actually getting the coin.

However, if you ordered the Jefferson gold, alot of people ordered without noticing that a wait list had begun. From estimates on this board that started around 2:17pm est. As long as you got a confimation number and ordered before the wait list went into effect you will get your coins.

5. dreamer94

dreamer94 Coin Collector

I'm not worried about that. I completed checkout at 12:32pm and have a fairly low order # compared to the others that I've seen.

I just wish the mint would explain their terms.

6. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

the mint explains nothing to anyone.

7. Moen1305

Moen1305 Mysticism and Tyrants

All I got was a confirmation # and the backorder status.

1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 10/09/2007.

I kind of doubt I'll ever see anything though.

8. Danr

Danr Numismatist

It is like doing business with aliens

9. dreamer94

dreamer94 Coin Collector

Mine says that too where the items are listed.
    "Backordered" seems to apply to single items; "on hold" applies to the entire order.
    However, at the top of the order page, it says

Order number: xxxxxxxxxx
    Order Date: 08/30/2007 at 12:32 AM
    Order Status: Your order request is on hold.

(PS: I like your signature)

10. Philly Dog

Philly Dog Coin Collector

My order was in around 1:30 pm got order # and it said the proof and unc are on hold and backordered with a delivery date for both of 09-24-07

I want to see if by Thuresday if the hold thimg is off my order

11. dreamer94

dreamer94 Coin Collector

It's strange that the order time is listed as 12:32am, not pm.
    That happened with the first First Spouse order also.

12. Philly Dog

My order does say PM . I hope they do not say you ordered to early am

Has anyone got a Track #

Tracking Number(s):
    Tracking number and carrier link
    not available for this shipment.

13. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

dreamer looks like you and me will be screwed onthis one. i have 12:20 am on my order too. Let me know how it goes :(

14. dreamer94

dreamer94 Coin Collector

I wouldn't worry about it. The same thing happened with the MW and AA First Spouse order and it was delivered without a problem. There's no possible way an order could have been placed at 12:20am (or at 11:59:59 for that matter). The items weren't even listed in the online catalog early.

Anyway, the email confirmation of the order is timed 12:33pm, so I think it will be clear.

After I get the coins, I might tell the Mint so they can investigate. Just another confusing aspect of buying from them online.

15. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

After all of this, I have been looking at my tracking order page repeatedly and although the item status on one item has changed to due to ship 9/24/07, I STILL don't have an Order Date nor do Ii have a transaction time. It's not fortrying. I have looked exactly where you all said to find it, but to no avail, it is missing from my Order Summary.

16. bama guy

bama guy Coin Hoarder

Mike, all I can do is relate my experience on the time stamp thing. I was curious about what my time stamp was other than what the email said. I call the mint and talked to some semi- new customer service Representative. I knew I had seen this time stamp on some of my order stuff but could not remember how or where. Anyhow this young lady (assume) talked to her supervisor and told me they (the mint) could give me the time I ordered but I could not go directly to it. I will take part of the blame for that. I Probably did not explain what I wanted very well . Some old people get confused very easily but she thanked me for calling the mint and said some other stuff and I left. I appreciate her trying

Anyhow I found that if you have an account you have to sign in and then go to the track order and enter your order number and last name. Did not show that time stamp when I just went to the mint home page and entered that stuff. Had to log in first. It worked for me the last time i tried it. I thought at one time you could go on your order history and click on the number and it would show that but it would not work for me last time I tried. As I have said some old people get confused easily.

what I find kind of weird is the number of "next in Line" or "sorry charlie" orders that the mint is accepting. Either the mint has a of people like me working for them and someone forgot to flip the off switch or the mint anticipates lots of order canceled. Anyhow will be a couple of days before we can expect any movement I would think.

I would not worry about the AM thing either guys. It has been reported several times in here. Who know it could be a time zone thing.

One good thing about this forum is people can compare notes. If it looks like you are having a problem then you should have time to fix it before orders are cancelled. Looks like eveyone is on the slow down loading page right now.

17. Philly Dog

I just went to check on my order and I guess with the holiday no updates yet.
    my date is still 09-24-07

On there Spouse page it still has taken orders wait list
    Product will be available for shipping 10/30/2007.

18. dreamer94

dreamer94 Coin Collector

I've attached a screen capture of my order confirmation to show you where the order date (and time) is. I blanked out the identifying information.
    I hope this helps. Given the apparent variability in the confirmations, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were missing the date.

19. Philly Dog

I must sign in on the mint site to see my time. If I do not sign and only use my order # I see everything but the time

PS anyone with any new info on the hold stuff?

20. Posted this information on another thread:

My order number 262871xx also read "Your order request is on hold". Just talked to a US MINT representative and they said it takes 7 to 10 days to check your background/creditcard etc.... Once the information is confirmed the "HOLD" status will be released. - :smile

Draft saved Draft deleted