The inglorious end of the Tetrarchy

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by jamesicus, Oct 17, 2017.

1. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Recap of historical events during 307 AD following the defeat and execution of Severus II:

The Tetrarchic structure begins to crumble

On 28 October 306, the Citizens of Rome revolted against oppressive taxation and petitioned Marcus Aurelius Valerius Maxentius (Maxentius), son of retired Augustus Maximian Herculius, to assume Imperium. This he did, initially adopting the appellation of Princeps although his army proclaimed him Augustus. Maxentius persuaded his father, Maximian Herculius, to come out of retirement in order to serve as his "colleague Augustus". Galerius Maximian, the de-facto legitimate Augustus, rejected these actions as illegal and instructed Severus (because Rome was in his sphere of authority) to engage Maxentius and depose him.

Early in 307 Severus commanded an army that marched south into Italy to engage Maxentius as instructed by Galerius Maximian. Severus was not well served by this army that maintained loyalties to its previous commander, Maximian Herculius, and indeed many soldiers deserted Severus. The forces of Maxentius quickly defeated those of Severus who was captured and subsequently executed in Rome. Maximian Herculius thereupon set about organizing the defense of Rome against an anticipated attack by Galerius Maximian and in April travelled to Gaul seeking an alliance with Constantine, Caesar of the West, in order to strengthen his position. The alliance was duly consummated and cemented when Constantine married the daughter of Maximian Herculius, Fausta Flavia Maxima (Fausta). Constantine assumed the title and powers of Augustus later in the year (not recognized by Galerius Maximian) after affirmation by Maximian Herculius. There was now a legitmately appointed Augustus - Galerius Maximian, one dubiously assumptive Augustus - Maximian Herculius, and two very questionably appointed Augusti - Constantine and Maxentius. The structure of the Tetrarchy was now in shambles.

Chronology of Events:

306 AD
    * Severus is proclaimed Augustus of the West by Galerius Maximian in July.
    * Constantine is designated Caesar of the West by Galerius Maximian in July.
    * On 25 July Constantine assumes control of the Western Mints -- Trier, Lyons & London.
    * The Citizens of Rome revolt against oppressive taxation.
    * The Citizens of Rome petition Maxentius (son of Maximian Herculius) to assume Imperium.
    * Maxentius adopts the title of Princeps.
    * Later the army at Rome proclaims Maxentius Augustus - rejected by Galerius Maximian.
    * Maximian Herculius emerges from retirement to serve as "colleague Augustus" to Maxentius.
    * Galerius Maximian instructs Severus to depose Maxentius.

307 AD
    * Early in the year, Severus marches south into Italy with an army to engage Maxentius.
    * The forces of Maxentius defeat those of Severus who is captured.
    * Severus is subsequently executed in Rome.
    * Maximian Herculius travels to Gaul seeking an alliance with Constantine.
    * Constantine marries Fausta, daughter of Maximian Herculius, in April.
    * Galerius Maximian marches into Italy with an army to depose Maxentius.
    * Galerius Maximian is unsuccessful in subduing Maxentius and withdraws.
    * Maxentius is left in control of much of Italy, Northern Africa and Spain.
    * Constantine is affirmed as Augustus by Maximian Herculius.
    * Constantine assumes the title and powers of Augustus sometime after 25 July.
    * Galerius Maximian does not recognize Constantine's elevation to Augustus.

The inglorious end of the Tetrarchy

In the spring of 308 Maximian Herculius had a falling out with his son, Maxentius, and left to join his now son-in-law, Constantine, in Gaul. In the autumn of 308 Galerius Maximian organized and convened a conference at Carnuntum consisting of himself, Diocletian and Maximian Herculius to discuss and resolve the "Augusti problem". Diocletian was but a shadow of his former self, both mentally and physically, due to the severe illness that befell him in 304 and consequently Galerius Maximian "ran the show" -- he was now the dominant force in the Tetrarchy. Galerius Maximian did not recognize either Constantine or Maxentius as Augustus, proposing instead that his old friend and comrade, Flavius Valerius Licinianus Licinius (Licinius) be appointed Augustus of the West to replace the deceased Severus and he obtained the concurrence of Diocletian and Maximian Herculius in this maneuver. Maxentius was declared an enemy of the state by the conferees and Maximian Herculius once more went into retirement. Galerius Maximian proposed that Constantine be recognized as Caesar, although Constantine did not acquiesce.

Constantine was incensed at his proposed "demotion" to Caesar subservient to Licinius as was Maximinus at the elevation of Licinius to Augustus, and so Galerius Maximian designated both of them Filius Augustorum: "son of the Augustus" -- a somewhat empty title of convenience and compromise -- in an attempt to mollify them.

There now followed a struggle between the Imperial Claimants: Maximian Herculius, who had again emerged from retirement as a self-proclaimed Augustus, and evidently with intentions to usurp Constantine, was defeated in battle by Constantine in 309 and committed suicide in 310. Maximinus was proclaimed Augustus by the troops of his army in the same year.

Galerius Maximian, the last surviving original Tetrarch and reigning senior Augustus, was afflicted with a fatal urinary/reproductive tract disease in 308 and died a painful, lingering, death on 5 May 311.

Maximinus and Maxentius formed a Military Compact early in 312 but Maxentius was defeated and killed by the forces of Constantine during a famous battle at Milvian bridge outside Rome later that year. The forces of Maximinus were defeated by those of Licinius in 313, Maximinus committing suicide later that year. Constantine and Licinius were subsequently proclaimed co-Augusti, bringing down the curtain on this Historical Period.

Chronology of Events:

308 AD
    * Maximian Herculius quarrels with his son, Maxentius, early in the year.
    * Maximian Herculius flees to Gaul to join his son-in-law, Constantine.
    * Conference of Carnuntum: Galerius Maximian, Diocletian and Maximian Herculius.
    * Galerius Maximian nominates Flavius Valerius Licinianus Licinius (Licinius), to be Augustus.
    * Licinius is appointed Augustus of the West.
    * Maximian Herculius goes into retirement yet again.
    * Maxentius is declared to be an enemy of the State.

309 AD
    * Constantine and Maximinus are appointed Filius Augustorum by Galerius Maximian.
    * Maximian Herculius again emerges as a self-proclaimed Augustus.
    * Maximian Herculius is defeated by Constantine in battle and deposed.

310 AD
    * Maximian Herculius, accused of plotting against Constantine, commits suicide.
    * Maximinus is proclaimed Augustus by the troops of his army.
    * Galerius Maximian now recognizes Maximinus and Constantine as Augusti.

311 AD
    * Galerius Maximian dies on 5 May after a long and painful illness.

312 AD
    * Maximinus and Maxentius enter into a Military Compact.
    * Maxentius is killed in battle with Constantine at Milvian bridge outside Rome on 28 October.

313 AD
    * Licinius marries Constantia, (half) sister of Constantine in January.
    * Maximinus is defeated in battle with Licinius and flees east.
    * Maximinus subsequently commits suicide in Tarsus.
    * Conference of Milan -- Constantine (West) and Licinius (East) are proclaimed co-Augusti.
    * Edict of Milan -- proclaims religious tolerance of Christianity.

Representative coins of this period - RIC Volume VI

Numerous new reverse depictions now came into use on the reduced folles..

In 310 a variety of Mint symbols/letters appear in the reverse field.

RIC VI, Londinium, No. 90, Maximian Herculius as Augustus emerged from retirement:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    DN MAXIMINIANO PFS AVG ................................... GENIO POP ROM -- PLN

RIC VI, Londinium, No. 110, struck by Constantine in memory of his father, Constantius:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    DIVO CONSTANTINO PIO ...................................... MEMORIA FELIX -- PLN

RIC VI, Ostia, No. 35, Maxentius as Augustus:

[​IMG]
    IMP C MAXENTIVS PF AVG ............................. AETERNITAS AVG N -- MOSTP

Ostia Mint..

RIC VI, Londinium, No. 209b, Maximinus (Daia) as Augustus:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    IMP MAXIMINVS PF AVG ........................................ GENIO POP ROM -- PLN

RIC VI, Londinium, No. 209c, Licinius as Augustus:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    IMP LICINIVS PF AVG ......................................... GENIO -- POP ROM -- PLN

RIC VI, Londinium, No. 234, Constantine as Augustus:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    CONSTANINVS PF AVG ...................................... SOLI INVICTO COMITI -- PLN

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Great write up and wonderful coins!

jamesicus likes this.
  4. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Great coins and even better write up! Thank you @jamesicus!

jamesicus likes this.
  5. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Amazing write up and coins!

jamesicus and Deacon Ray like this.
  6. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Excellent presentation, @jamesicus ! Your fact sheets are a great resource for collectors and historians.

jamesicus likes this.
  7. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Great write up. The only one of those guys I have from London is Constantine.

Constantine I Victoria reverse London.jpg 3mtDqB6i8xLKmJo49tJSeFf27pkTP5.jpg

dlhill132, Ajax, RAGNAROK and 15 others like this.
  8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

These write ups of your on the tetrachs are really helpfull to me @jamesicus , as I've mentioned before...It is very hard for me to keep them all straight!

I've posted this quite a bit lately, but it's going to be in the top 5 coins of the year for me easy...I really dig it!

100_8619.JPG

MAXENTIUS, FOLLIS, 306-312 AD
    O: IMP C MAXENTIVS P F AVG, Laureate head right

R: CONSERV VRB SVAE, Roma seated left in tetrastyle temple presenting globe to Maxentius, captive seated between; wolf and twins in pediment, Victories each holding a wreath as acroteria. Mintmark AQP, Aquilea mint, RIC:113

25 mm, 6.1g.

9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

jamesicus likes this.
  10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I especially enjoy the succinct chronology of events. Thanks for the writeup, @jamesicus!

jamesicus likes this.
  11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Fantastic write-up!

jamesicus likes this.
  12. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

As always, I LOVE the coins and the wonderfully informative write-ups!

jamesicus likes this.
  13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Great history lesson @jamesicus and needless to say wonderful coins.

jamesicus likes this.
  14. GerardV

GerardV Well-Known Member

Yep, I resemble that remark. Plus, the coins are just plain cool.

Little by little I find myself sucked into coins from this time frame. Maybe it's where I will finally find a collecting "home" instead of being an impulse buyer like I am now...when that does happen it will be @jamesicus who gave me the spark to narrow my focus on this time period. Of course, impuse buying has benefits too. :woot:

His threads, and the threads/posts of few others, are a must read, every single time.

15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@jamesicus this write up, actually, ALL of your write-ups have been great. Super info, well laid out, and thoughtful.

The only LONDON Coins that I have to offer are from the trouble makers... (And as troublemakers, they are before the Tetrarchy)

upload_2017-10-18_7-34-54.png
    RI Carausius usurper in Britain CE 287–293 BI Ant 4.7g 24mm London radiate cuirassed - PAX AVG Pax stndg l branch scepter S—P RIC V 475

RI Allectus 293-296 AE Quinarius London Virtus Galley AE17 2.3g S 13870 RIC 55.JPG
    RI Allectus 293-296 AE Quinarius London Virtus Galley AE17 2.3g S 13870 RIC 55

RI Constantine I AVG Follis Votive  XX seated captives 2.69g 18mm RIC VII 191 London.JPG
    RI Constantine I AVG Follis Votive XX seated captives 2.69g 18mm RIC VII 191 London

16. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Very interesting writeup. I really enjoyed reading it.

jamesicus likes this.
  17. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great story at @jamesicus and thanks for breaking it down into a very digestible timeline. The squabbling and internecine warfare inevitably tore apart the fabric of the tetrarchy. I guess absolute power absolutely corrupts.

jamesicus and Alegandron like this.
  18. jamesicus

First let me apologize for not replying to individual posts -- I do appreciate all of the nice comments and observations -- I am afraid there are too many for me to backtrack and respond to each one now. Right after I had posted this thread my wife, Beverly, suffered severe back and chest pains and I had to rush her to the Hospital emergency room. She has a long history of heart disease and has had two by-pass surgeries and several stent insertions in the past. She has been in the hospital since last Sunday (I think) and I have been with her most of the time. So I have not been able to follow this thread very much. I did want to correct a few (minor) errors and add a couple of things -- I will try to do that shortly. I am quite worn out from walking the long corridors of the Hospital -- I feel every one of my eighty eight years every time I visit her -- I have to pause my walker and sit down quite frequently. Well, enough of my tale of woe -- there is good news: our Cardiologist consulted with several of his colleagues and they all recommended that no surgery or stenting should be undertaken -- that her heart has suffered enough trauma already and it is best to live with its diminished functioning (or words to that effect) and manage it through a monitored drug treatment program. So she will not have surgery and I will be able to bring her home later today!

I do want to add that the coin pics I used for this post are, except for the great Maxentius that I just purchased from Victor Clark, London Mint issues for that is what I have. Please post pics of any coins you have from this time period issued by other mints. Thank you.

19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Since we mention these, we should show them.
    Constantine as FIL AVG from Heraclea
    rv4560bb1669.jpg

Maximinus II as FIL AVGG from Thesalonika
    ru4100bb1401.jpg

We always hear that both were Filius Augustorum as shown above for Maximinus. Constantine lacks that final G so should be Filius Augusti. Significant???

zumbly, dlhill132, Ajax and 10 others like this.
  20. jamesicus

Excellent! Thank you for doing that. Under conventional usage, the single G should denote single Augustus ......... I will do more research.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  21. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I haven't received this one being shipped from Europe, so I haven't posted it or done a write up yet whike I await the transatlantic journey to be completed, but I'll go ahead and share it anyway.

Dt3Z9SKaYpZ8M6dnqY4fk2gN5Wxdi7.jpg
    Licinius I
    AE Follis
    London Mint 308-324
    Obverse:
    IMP LICINIVS PF AVG: Laureate bust of Licinius right.
    Reverse: GENIO POP ROM: Genius standing left. S/F in field, PLN in exergue.
    Diameter: 21.02mm Weight: 2.68 grams.
    References. RIC VII, 3.

jamesicus, dlhill132, Ajax and 14 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted