The INFERIOR Nixon portrait! IMHO

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GSDykes, Apr 6, 2016.

1. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

You compare, the left image is of the campaign token/medal made by the Franklin mint, utilizing Robert's masterful portrait of Nixon. On the right the new 2016 U.S. dollar (non-circulating). I often wonder why the US mint did not resurrect Gilroy Robert's sculpture? Did the Franklin mint have a patent on it? or?? Everhart's (sp) version is terrible, note the hair, the eye wrinkles, the lines on the jacket, the posing of the lips, etc. etc.. Certainly they should have bought this from whoever has the copyright and used it instead of Everharts (sp) version. The new Kennedy dollar is terrible as well, and the Reagan dollar is an insult. I hope the mint cannot sell any of these. That they eat them - and melt them!!

Nixon_both.jpg

tommyc03 and coinzip like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Roberts or the Franklin Mint probably does have a copyright on the design.

GSDykes likes this.
  4. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

What's going on with the suit jacket? That cant be a realistic rendering of fabric texture

GSDykes likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't agree with @GSDykes !

The Mint knows exactly what it is doing. Once the coin is released, tens of thousands more will probably be ordered because a bunch of fools will think the eye is doubled.

Chris:woot::woot:

GSDykes and Santinidollar like this.
  6. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

Wow.... that's a huge difference.

7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

The one on the left is Nixon. The one on the right is of someone, but it sure ain't Nixon.

8. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

He's wearing a suit made of fine northern pine.

ThinnPikkins and Evan8 like this.
  9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

What were they trying to make him look mature?

10. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Sadly enough there are no more Robert's, Gasparro's, Barber's, Gobrechts, Saint Gauden's, etc., working for the Mint, just computer CAD geeks.

Draft saved Draft deleted