The infamous Zimbabwean $100 trillion dollar bill

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by bugo, Jan 19, 2017.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

said it before and i will say it again "NOVELTY"

midas1 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I'll say it again: 1000% value increase.

Paul M. likes this.
  4. mpcusa

Increase over what ?? Over Face...LOL

5. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Over what I paid for it.

6. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

The bills were printed by the Zimbabwe Government as legal tender. Inflation got out of control, as it has in other countries, and the country demonetized the bills in 2009. As an issued legal tender they are not a "Novelty". If people want to collect them that is their right.

As I mentioned, Coin World said that the Trillion Dollar note is going for around $40. eBay has them priced all over the board from ridiculous to really ridiculous. If you own some and want to keep them, fine, but now with the prices I saw on eBay, may be the time to sell. Having said that, I got mine for nothing so I'm going to keep them, how often can you show your non-collecting friends a trillion dollar bill?

I also have a few of the infamous Iraq bills, I'm not selling them either. I'm not keeping them as an investment, I'm keeping them because of the history behind them.

ashyblue likes this.
  7. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

I got mine for free and sold them for $35 each.

What was my % of profit?

8. TheMont

From your name, it looks like you're a dealer, so what's your % of profit? Well subtract the expenses for owning a store from $35 and then maybe you will know that if you paid nothing for them you didn't make a % of profit, you made $35 less your operating expenses.

Jeez, dealer sense of humor.

9. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I bought them because I wanted to. The same reason I bought any of my bills or coins. Novelty? It's all about perspective.

10. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

LOL. point taken. Most collectors believe dealer operating expenses are a myth. Heh.

11. TheMont

That's the different between a coin and currency collector and a investor or speculator. I buy something because I like it. I collect a series because I like it. I hope to pass my collection down to my grandson, a YN, but if he doesn't like something that I collected I'm sure there's someone else that does. Do I care about making a profit? It would be nice, but it's not the driving force in my collecting.

Now if you want to talk about my investment portfolio, yes I do maintain 20% of precious metals in it, and hope to make a profit from that section of my investments when it time to start liquidating.

SteveInTampa likes this.
  12. mpcusa

I am all for collecting what you want, not going to hate you for that :)

13. ashyblue

ashyblue Member

the time it was printed it was worth around 50C U.S dollar , and later the goverment money was bankrupt and the have no official money atm. Although since the word Dollar is printed on the note , then it's getting really popular for collector. The note is no longer being made , and I believe it will by each year passing , adds a lot of value as you see in online. Hope it helped

14. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

there are so many countries and governments that failed and whose currency is now worthless. They are now considered novelties (like the 1910 Russian ruble).
    But, this means that they are super cheap! So I can now buy a whole bunch of really beautiful notes on the cheap. Works well for me.

15. mpcusa

Beautiful notes for cheap ! that,s win, win !! :)

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  16. CurrencyArtist

CurrencyArtist New Member

Ever heard the old country folks saying:
    "DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE MULE GOING BLIND!
    JUST SIT IN THE SADDLE AND HOLD THE LINE".

If Some Zimbabwe Note Collector wants to pay you
    $50-Million USD for 10-$100-Trillion Dollar Notes!
    Meets you at your Bank! Signs AGREEMENT! Then Wires the money into your Bank Account! Your selling a "COLLECTABLES ITEM" PEOPLE HAVE PAID THOUSANDS FOR GOLD PLATED HUMAN EXCREMENT! WHO CARES SELL THE DARN THINGS! LOL

17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Don't need a photo of a Mercury dime reverse in a trillion dollar Zimbabwean currency thread.
    Don't need bold font or mostly caps.
    Some of your post is indecipherable gibberish.

hotwheelsearl and bugo like this.
  18. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Now they're going for less than $2. I should have sold mine when the price was up and bought another one to replace it with when it went back down.

19. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Pet Rock syndrome.
    I don't have one, but I would spend $2 for a worthless note.

20. Gemtastic

Gemtastic New Member

I bought some from apmex a few years ago. I paid $7 each for them. Gave my nephew and my son in law one and kept the rest.

21. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Who is selling them for $2.00?

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted