The Infamous King George III

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Catbert, Dec 12, 2008.

1. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

pitures.gif :yes:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

ae is a latin abbreviation for copper. av or au is gold, ar is silver

It refers to the design of the piece. The design is cataloged as #311 in British Historical Medals. It is referenced by the design and then variations are listed. Another reason is because they may not know the differences. NGC frequently get attributions wrong.

I've seen the reference to there only being 24 struck in Bartons metal but I suspect that number may be too low. I've probably seen at least half dozen different pieces listed for sale in the past 10 years. That seem like an unusually high number. On the other hand it probably does have a low mintage. D&H were seemingly were unaware of the Bartons's metal pieces. At least they aren't listed in the book. My 180 Barton's metal is a nice proof with silver obv and rev and light toning around the edges. The edge of the coin at first glance looks like solid copper (almost a dull brass color) but if you look closely you can see a very thin silver layer on either edge. (Plate coin in Dr Doty's book on the Soho Mint.) My 181 is a deep brown bronzed proof. Still need a 179. I've tried for one a couple times but no luck yet.

4. Olmanjon

Olmanjon Member

Would love to post a picture but just cannot figure out how to do it. Anyway-from what you are saying it appears that mine is the 180 variety. As a certified au, about how much is it worth on say ebay? Mine looks just like catberts.

5. largecent37

largecent37 Coin Collector

Nice medal and thanks for the history lesson!

6. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Great looking medal! I think medals are very underrated and are both beautiful and historic.

I think the criticisms offered of George III are unfair. Having a mental disease (in his case, porphyria) does not make him a bad man. In fact, unlike his relatives and children, he was a serious and sober devoted father and husband.

That said, I do understand resentment about his blocking full Catholic participation in Great Britain.

George III is a very beloved figure in British history. We, Americans, rightfully feel some animosity toward him because of his being King during the Revolutionary War.

Here is my medal of George III celebrating his survival of an assassination attempt in 1800:

George III.jpg George IIIa.jpg GMso.jpg

guy

Draft saved Draft deleted