The History of the Dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by chrisild, Jan 16, 2017.

1. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

This year the Spanish Mint will issue a kilo (1000 g, diameter 100 mm) silver coin dedicated to the Historia del Dólar / History of the Dollar. What is neat about the design is that it features eight coins which represent this history. (Here is some info in Spanish.)

Face value €300 but of course these pieces are surcharged. Mintage will be limited to 1,000 pieces, I think. The coin will probably be presented by the mint (FNMT-RCM) at the World Money Fair next month. Guess we will also learn more about the price tag then.

Hope the embedded links below work. If not, click the article link above. :)

Christian

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Golden age

Golden age Go for the gold

Very nice, and no doubt, way expensive.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Oh, wow. How do I maneuver myself into owning one of these? :)

Johndoe2000$ and Kentucky like this.
  5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

By putting some dollars aside? ;) Well, I'll pass. Basically I like the idea of "coins on coins", but I don't really see much of a design effort here. Oh, and as for the "eight" coins, well, seven are displayed, and the silver beast itself is number eight ...

Christian

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Since when is 300 Euros a dollar? Or do they know something we don't? :)

7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

300 euro is the arbitrary denomination. ;)

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

very cool design. expensive. I also collect "coins with small coins as the design itself".

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Going into currency trading are ya Michael ? :D

It's a good looking coin - I like it ! And they no doubt made it that big so they could depict the designs of the coins they are using to illustrate what a "dollar" was at various times in history and in different countries.

Now if they could only figure out something appropriate to commemorate ducats ! :smuggrin:

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  10. onecenter

onecenter Member

Lovely design. Cannot imagine what a 100mm diameter would look like in hand. The heft would be incredible!

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  11. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

You know that thing about a roll of quarters in a sock? Well, this coin is four rolls of quarters in a sock. You'd only need to swing it once. :)

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted