The Heir Apparent.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Golden age, Dec 3, 2016.

1. gibsport

gibsport Active Member

I've tried with my stepchildren, nieces and nephews, and oldest grandchild. I am currently just starting to go thru pennies and filling Lincoln books with my 7 year old grandson. We spent the whole day after Thanksgiving pretty much with just that. He didn't even ask to play basketball which is his normal request. Hopefully, I can get him hooked. Otherwise, who the heck knows what will happen to them

Golden age and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Golden age

Golden age Go for the gold

That is excellent, we should all make an effort to at least try to groom, or introduce the hobby to someone/s with the hope they will become a collector. My instructions had detailed inventory list, and a couple of trusted places that would buy at fair prices, if that was what that wished to do, not a request. My hope would be to continue adding to the collection, but could sell if wanted. I would hope that some reading this post would realize that immortality is not a reality, and this topic, as unpleasant as it is to think about, should be addressed. Again you never know, when an accident, or something could occur. Better to be prepared.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  4. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly.

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Why is it "terrible"? No matter what they get it will be more than they had, and if they don't want to do any effort to do a little research into what they have they deserve what they get. I don't OWE them a windfall.

6. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

It's kind of like life insurance, do you want to leave your beneficiary, $10,000, or $20,000, for example. Plus, I wouldn't want anyone unscrupulous to benefit from my death. To each their own, I guess. I will say that I'm surprised at some of these replies, and leave it at that.

Golden age likes this.
  7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

My collection is for my enjoyment, not so I can leave a windfall to my heirs. My life insurance is to make sure the final debts of my estate are settled. If I had dependents that were reliant on me for their support it might be different, but my closest heir is a nephew who is well set and who earns more than I do. He doesn't need support.

8. Johndoe2000$

TIS THE SEASON TO BE JOLLY, MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Golden age likes this.
  9. Johndoe2000$

Some people huh ?

Golden age likes this.
  10. Golden age

I guess. This thread was actually meant for people that care about their beneficiary, not for those that don't, and their ideas or plans.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  11. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

I will teach my kid about everything I can , and hope she will pickup the hobby and not sell anything , but I also left a detailed list with both purchase and suggest sell for price ...

From the hobby center and think tank of MTS.LLC

Johndoe2000$ and Golden age like this.
  12. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

I even intend to put her through the a.n.a courses when she is old enough

From the hobby center and think tank of MTS.LLC

Johndoe2000$ and Golden age like this.
  13. Golden age

Wow, your posts, are a breath of fresh air. It's great that you are grooming another collector, and have excellent plans for the future. I wish everyone could at least "attempt" to bring others into the hobby. I have started my nephew collecting coins, and gift him one on occasions. He loves the mercury dimes, walking liberty halves, and especially the silver dollars, because of the size. The younger generation, for the most part, never see the large coins, not even Ikes in circulation. It's awesome to see the look on his face when given a SAE, or especially, a Morgan, or peace dollar. Thanks for your contribution to this thread.

ldhair and Johndoe2000$ like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted