The Heir Apparent.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Golden age, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Golden age

Golden age Go for the gold

Wondering what plans some have made for the passing down of your collections. It would be a terrible thought that your beneficiary just take them to some unknown coin dealer or worse to unload them, and getting ripped off. I have given instruction, both by word of mouth, and by a note in my S.D.B.. Maybe some have other/ better way ? If you haven't already made plans, It is never too soon to think of these things, because you never know. Thanks.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I have no heirs. Could be fun. :)

4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I'm not making any plans to die before I open my Christmas gifts, so I'll let you know after the holiday. How depressing...:(

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It may the hardest variable, but I suggest time. Take some time to show some coins to them, the more valuable or historically significant they are, the better. If they see how important you think they are, they will remember when the time for passing them along comes. If they show a spark of interest, send them a subscription of coin world or other magazine so they can have a chance to expand. Encourage any specific areas they seem to enjoy until one really clicks and see that they go to that individual when divided. My coins were just something Dad did until Disney dollars were shown from my collection. He then moved to colorful foreign paper money, but was hooked on MPCs from world war 2 and has a nice collection, now he is getting interested in Ancients, Morgans and Peace, and bullion. If I make another decade or so, he will cover all of my collection, so thats the plan :) Jim

The old saying " Man plans , God laughs "

6. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

Maybe one or more of my kids will want them when they're older. If not, my younger brother is a collecter. Considering I am a 4th generation collector, I hope one of the kids shows interest.

I have left handwritten instructions and an excel spreadsheet. Also on certain coins I wrote something to the effect of "this coin is special" and explained why.

7. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Honestly couldn't care less what happens to my collection once I'm through with it. The new owners can keep them. They can research their value and sell them for market value. They can sell them for ten cents on the dollar. They can melt them down and make silver bullets to hunt werewolves. By then, I'll be beyond caring.

mill rat41 and Chas Carlson like this.
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

That's not a plan. It's a request.

9. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

That's how I feel about mine as well, even how I wish to be buried... I'll be dead and in paradise, what do I care?!

10. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

DH and kiddos know that 'the stuff' is worth something and to put effort into disposing. Neither of the offspring seems to have inherited the dragon gene ('ooo, shiny and precious, must hoard'), so hopefully they will get a decent return when they unload it all.

Golden age and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  11. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I've actually thought about this. My kids are long passed away so I have no immediate heirs.
    I have a "step" daughter & through her I have a grandson & granddaughter & oddly enough a great granddaughter.
    I'm hoping my grandson will have interest he's and 10 mild autistic.
    I'm not close to family members but at one time my granddaughter and I were inseparable.
    It's amazing how time changes things. It's a necessary subject we don't like to think about but has to be done.

CoinZone, Golden age and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

If you don't know what to do with your collection, just arrange to have it shipped to South Carolina after your death. I've got plenty of low-life relatives who will be glad to steal it.

13. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

My plans are to grow my replacement in our hobby. This is my grandson and I several years ago searching for Lincolns for his album as pictured on the cover of the MSNS Michmatist magazine.

At age 7 he gave a short talk on his Lincoln collection at a meeting of our local coin club. If he maintains an interest he will end up with my large cent date set, a set of IHC's, Lincolns, two cent pieces, type sets, and Civil War tokens.

[​IMG]

Golden age, wgpjr, Smojo and 5 others like this.
  14. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

I hope to sell my collection before I go to the nursing home. Like it or not we are all nursing home material.

15. Santinidollar

Seriously, I keep a detailed inventory with what I paid and an attempt at "market value." Hopefully, I will have to update the latter several times before I go to my reward. The inventory program I use also has space where I put anything noteworthy about a coin.

Since my two heirs aren't collectors, I will do the dirty deed of selling the collection myself if I get enough advance word of pending demise. Unfortunately, we all probably know that can happen.

Golden age and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Yeah.....you could leave it all to me...... devil.gif

The camera equipment too. devil.gif

Attached Files:

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

That's just lovely Bill. And just such a handsome child. I'm sure when he grows up he'll be more than proud to have a grand dad like you.

PennyGuy and Golden age like this.
  18. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I'm already aspiring to be the Godfather to @Paddy54 collection. I'm sure we could work something out 11910895.gif

19. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

He's eight years old now. Last year in 2nd grade he told his teacher that Abraham Lincoln was the 16th President. She wanted to know how he knew that, so he told her he collected pennies. Collecting coins teaches kids a lot of things.

20. Santinidollar

He's 8? Hmm, there's a chance I've found a future buyer for my collection.:)

21. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Well let the bidding begin . .......I too have no heirs..... so I will be entertaining all offers. As far as you being my Godfather I think not! I would believe that would be the other way around.......and actually I've been a Irish Godfather for some time now..... you could end up with a leprechaun a nasty one. :)

tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted