The Headbutting Lincoln Cent GTG

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ddddd, Jul 18, 2019.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

I think many of us don't mind the grade much, but the grade does still matter for the general market. I'm almost certain it would sell for more if the label read MS 65 vs MS 62 (in part because there are enough buyers who for some reason set arbitrary limits, like nothing below MS 63....I know because I've run into some of these people).

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Hmm. I'm a little disappointed with my MS64 sandpaper. You think CAC would sticker it? ;)

Just kidding, I would never buy one of those.

Pickin and Grinin and ddddd like this.
  4. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

This reminds me of a 1931-S Lincoln that I bought in the late 60s from a hole-in-the-wall coin shop on Royal Street in the French Quarter of New Orleans. I bought it as an AU back before they had invented grades like AU53 and 55 and 58. I guess I would have said it was a 58. Anyway, I sent it to PCGS and they called it a 62. I think the idea is that they thought it was worth 62 money, whatever that was. I'm not a big error person, but I think that one is really neat!

ddddd and Paul M. like this.
  5. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I agree but I’ll say 63 bn

6. ddddd

ddddd Member

The "worth 62 money" way of grading seems to have lost its place over the years since nowadays people tend to pay more (in many but not all cases) for a 58 based on the "everyman" registry sets (as well as some realizing that a 62 usually means a coin with a lot of hits/marks vs a 58 being relatively clean but showing a hint of wear).

And I'm not a big error person either, I just liked the look.
    Ever since running into @lordmarcovan Box of 20(ish) threads, I've been inspired to collect in a similar manner.

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted