The Head of a fool stamped on the neck of an @ss!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by jhinton, Mar 4, 2013.

1. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

You and me both, Joseph. The old counterfeit counterstamps are more appealing to me too.
    Good to see you on CT again, Joseph. Still collecting counterstamps?

Bruce

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jhinton

jhinton Well-Known Member

I liquidated most of my collection in auctions about 4-5 years ago. I needed the capital to fund an expansion of my construction company. I have finally found time to enjoy coins again so I will start acquiring more pieces. The only one I have right now is a good ole Devins & Bolton large cent.

4. James O'Brien

James O'Brien Active Member

Where I come from an ass is just another word for donkey.
    A jackass is a particularly stupid (or stubborn) male donkey.
    It is often used to describe a person with the same attributes.

My Dad used to tell a story about a great-uncle of his who had a donkey that knew its way home. When he'd run out of money, he'd sell this donkey to someone in the pub - knowing that the donkey would escape and come back to him. Allegedly, he sold the same donkey about 50 times !

We had friends over from the States and Dad told them "his uncle used to 'sell his ass' down the pub every other Saturday night." They were speechless - until we explained the context.

BRandM likes this.
  5. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

George actually did not want to be king. He preferred to be out hunting. He let his minister Godoy (the prince of peace) run the country with help of his wife.

6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

In this case, the title is a reference to the actual coin. These counterstamps were derided even when they were made. For a bit more of the history of the phrase, read here: http://www.eccentricbliss.com/2015/07/two-kings-heads-not-worth-a-crown/

Draft saved Draft deleted