Featured The Gubernaculum challenge

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

No, no I’m obviously not talking about the anatomic genital ligament of the human body...Rather, I’m referring to a specific type of iconography found on many roman coins : the rudder.
    2000 years ago, ships were steered by a rudder looking like a large steering oar that was pivoted or even held by hand over one side of the boat. Therefore, a rudder depicted on a coin will resemble a large oar or paddle with a reinforcing rib down its central point.
    D96390B1-D399-41D0-B0AA-462CEC918756.jpeg

[​IMG]

Rudder of a Roman ship

Many deities are depicted with a gubernaculum ; Tritons and Venus, the greek goddess Tyche too, but the winner is certainly Fortuna ( according to Wikipedia : « Fortuna is depicted on around 1000 different Roman coins usually holding a gubernaculum. »)

[​IMG]
    Statuette of Fortuna holding a Gubernaculum

But why a rudder in the hand of a goddess? What does it symbolise?
    It's quite simple: the verb to govern comes from the Latin gubernare, which means "to direct a ship, to hold a rudder".
    According to Juan Eduardo Cirlot, in his Diccionario de símbolos, the rudder of the antique ships often appears in the allegories, in relation to the ideas of security and definite direction. So the character holding the rudder controls how lives and fates are steered. (The ship often represent the Empire as in the ship of state.)
    So this time the challenge is easier : search in your collection examples of gubernaculum. Please show us your coins !

I’ll start with these 2:

Nerva Dupondius
    Fortuna holding rudder
    AD0F56E9-C573-460F-BEAC-D30CFC541C0D.jpeg

Philip I
    Salus holding rudder (some believe it’s a scepter but I don’t)
    A8FA6A42-5CE5-47AC-9FF7-5ADB9307EFF2.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Interesting topic!

Laetitia with rudder:
    Rom – Philip Arabs, Antoninian, Laetitia.png
    Philip I “the Arab,” Roman Empire, AR antoninian, 244–247 AD, Rome mint. Obv: IMP M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG; bust of Philip the Arab, radiate, draped, cuirassed, r. Rev: LAETIT FVNDAT; Laetitia, draped, standing l., holding wreath and rudder. 24.5mm, 4.37g. Ref: RIC IV Philip I 36.

octavius, Sulla80, Ryro and 11 others like this.
  4. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I love your thematic "challenge" posts, Ocat. :happy:

Here's one showing the joint very clearly, plus a freakishly large steering hand:
    Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 3.30.52 PM.jpg

eparch, octavius, Nathan401 and 13 others like this.
  5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I just looked through all my coins and I don't have one with a rudder. :( I have a couple with Victory at the helm of a galley. But nobody is steering the boat!

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice write up, @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix ! and great coins.

Naw, I am not changing all my attributes from rudder to GUBERNACULUM... I think I will just call them GOOBERS: :D

ROMAN REPUBLIC GOOBERS:

RR Cipius 115-114 BCE Roma X Biga rudder S 166 AUTH Cr 289-1 - JA.JPG
    RR Cipius 115-114 BCE Roma X Biga rudder (goober) Sear 166 AUTH Craw 289-1 - JA

upload_2019-12-13_19-32-41.png
    RR Cornelius Lentulus 76-75 BCE AR Den Questor Pompey Genius Globe Scepter GOOBER (that means Rudder) Sear 323 Craw 393-1a

RR Cipius 115-114 BCE Roma X Biga rudder S 166 AUTH Cr 289-1.jpg
    RR Cipius 115-114 BCE Roma X Biga rudder (Goober) Sear 166 AUTH Craw 289-1

ROMAN EMPIRE GOOBERS

upload_2019-12-13_19-36-14.png
    RI Claudius Gothicus CE 268-270 AE Ant 24x21mm 2.3g FORTVNA REDVX; Fortuna standing left rudder (Yup, another GOOBER) and cornucopia Z RIC 41

RI Tiberius AE As 14-37 CE Laureate-Pont Max Globe Rudder sinister left RIC I 58.jpg
    RI Tiberius AE As 14-37 CE Laureate-Pont Max Globe Rudder (big GOOBER) sinister left RIC I 58

RI Aelius Caesar 138 CE AE As 26mm Rome mint Fortuna-Spes cornucopia and rudder.jpg
    RI Aelius Caesar 138 CE AE As 26mm Rome mint Fortuna-Spes cornucopia and rudder (another BIG GOOBER)

TESSERA GOOBER

RI Tessera c 1st C CE PB Fortuna rudder cornu DP Rostovtsev 2307 Ruggerio 808-9 13mm 1-39g.JPG
    RI Tessera c 1st C CE PB Fortuna rudder (Lead GOOBER Tessara) cornu DP Rostovtsev 2307 Ruggerio 808-9 13mm 1-39g

7. Michael Stolt

Michael Stolt Well-Known Member

Here's two of mine with rudders.

[​IMG]

M. Cipius M.f. 115-114 BC. AR Denarius (18mm, 3.88 g). Rome mint.

Obverse: Helmeted head of Roma right, wearing single drop earring and pendant necklace; X (mark of value) to left, M • CIPI • M • F upward to right.

Reverse: Victory driving galloping biga right, holding reins and palm frond; rudder below horses; ROMA in exergue.

Reference: Crawford 289/1

[​IMG]

T. Carisius. 46 BC. AR Denarius (18mm, 3.61 g). Rome mint.

Obverse: Head of Roma right, wearing ornate helmet; ROMA behind.

Reverse: Scepter, cornucopia on globe, and rudder; T • CARISI below; all within laurel wreath.

Reference: Crawford 464/3c

eparch, octavius, Nathan401 and 11 others like this.
  8. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

And here's Julia Domna of the great city [not] of Parlais, in the backlands of Pisidia - that's in the double chin of Turkey, not far from the island of Rhodes. A plain, light-hearted lady with large eyes, on her reverse accompanied by Tyche, the goddess of the town, who's holding a large cornucopia in her left arm and at the other hand a rudder looking rather like a golf-bag. (A bit like my late mother-in-law).

3207 Domna ct.jpg

AE Julia Domna (193-217), Parlais, Pisidia. Obv. Draped bust right. IVLIA DOMNA. Rev. Tyche standing facing, head left, holding cornucopia and rudder. IVL AVG COL PARLAIS. 20 mm, 4.56 gr.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  9. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Possibly the latest representations of these?
    ri256.jpg
    Early 4th century AD
    Alexandria mint
    Obvs: DEO SARAPIDI, Bearded bust of Sarapis right, wearing modius.
    Revs: GENIO ALEXAND. Alexandria reclining left, rudder in right hand. MS
    AE 11x12mm, 0.97g
    Ref: Vagi --; Van Heesch 9

ri230.jpg
    Early 4th century AD
    Nicomedia mint
    Obvs: DEAE SANC CERERI, veiled and draped bust of Ceres left, holding grain ear and poppy in raised right hand.
    Revs: GEN CIVI T NICOM, Fortuna Redux standing facing, head left, holding in right hand rudder set on ground and cradling cornucopia in left arm; OPA.
    AE 15x16mm, 1.46g
    Ref: Vagi 2958; Van Heesch 1

zumbly, octavius, Nathan401 and 12 others like this.
  10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

The ligament of the gonads in the fetus was the first thing I thought of. When I first learned the name of that structure, it didn't make a bit of sense to me.....but they do guide the testes down to their mature potion in the fetus, it's really a pretty good name. I wish I would have (or could have) taken Latin in high school.

Here is a rudder!

[​IMG]

Caracalla, Marcianopolis, Moesia Inferior, AE Peantassaria, 198-217 AD

O: Caracalla and Julia Domna, R: Fortuna with rudder and cornucopia. 30 mm, 17. 4g. Varbanov I 1040

octavius, Nathan401, Bing and 8 others like this.
  11. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Fun writeup @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix! Here are two gubernacula - one an imitative type.
    Dacian imitation .jpg
    Dacian Imitative denarius on the left
    Cn. Lentulus; 76-75 BC, Denarius, on the right
    Obv: Genius of the Roman people right, GPR above
    Rev: EX SC divided by globe, gubernaculum and scepter, CN LEN Q below

12. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Very interesting, I love the drawing of the relief that names the ships parts and their operators. I have a Phillip I LAETIT FVNDAT Laetitia like @Orielensis example above. 660A5D04-0E17-45B9-857E-EBB83C1CBEA7.jpeg A558FEBB-1412-4940-9532-6B328D691859.jpeg

13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nerva 6.jpg
    NERVA
    AE Dupondius
    OBVERSE: IMP NERVA CAES AVG P M TR P COS II P P Radiate head right
    REVERSE: FORTVNA AVGVST S-C, Fortuna standing left, holding rudder and cornucopia
    Struck at Rome, 96AD
    8.8g, 26mm
    RIC 61
    Caracalla 10a.jpg
    CARACALLA
    AE23
    OBVERSE: Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind
    REVERSE: NIKOMHDEΩN ΔIC NEΩKOPΩN, Tyche standing left, holding rudder and cornucopia
    Struck at BITHYNIA, Nicomedia, 198-217 AD
    7.1g, 23mm
    RG 234; WADD RG S546,234(1-3)
    Gallienus 2.jpg
    GALLIENUS
    Antoninianus
    OBVERSE: GALLIENVS AVG, radiate head right
    REVERSE: FORTVNA REDVX, Fortuna standing left, holding rudder on globe and cornucopiae, digamma in right field
    Struck at Siscia,260-8 AD
    2.7g, 20mm
    RIC V-1, Siscia 572

14. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Fun thread! We get the word "governor" from gubernator, a cognate of gubernaculum.

I have several dozen coins with rudders. Here various figures/deities holding rudders.

Fortuna/Tyche:

[​IMG]
    Aurelian, AD 279-275.
    Roman billon antoninianus, 3.61 gm, 20.6 mm.
    Obv: IMP AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate, cuirassed bust, r.
    Rev: FORTVNA REDVX, Fortuna seated l., holding rudder and cornucopiae, wheel under seat; S in exergue.
    Refs: RIC 128; MER/RIC 1466; CBN 452; Sear 11539; MIR 16, Hunter p. cx.

[​IMG]
    Gordian III, AD 238-244, with Tranquillina.
    Roman provincial Æ Pentassarion, 27.4 mm, 12.23 g.
    Thrace, Odessos, AD 241.
    Obv: ΑVΤ Κ Μ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC ΑVΓ CΕ-ΤΡΑΝΚVΛ-ΛEΙΝ[Α], laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust of Gordian III right, vis-à-vis diademed and draped bust of Tranquillina left.
    Rev: ΟΔΗCCΕΙ[ΤΩΝ], Tyche standing left, wearing polos, holding rudder and cornucopiae; E (denomination) in field, left.
    Refs: Moushmov 1697; Varbanov 4608; AMNG 2402.

Isis:

[​IMG]
    Julia Domna, AD 193-217.
    Roman AR denarius, 3.07 g, 18.2 mm, 12 h.
    Uncertain Eastern mint (Antioch?; formerly attributed to Laodicea), AD 196-202.
    Obv: IVLIA AVGVSTA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: SAECVLI FELICITAS, Isis standing right, left foot on prow, holding infant Horus on left arm, right hand on breast; on left, rudder.
    Refs: RIC 645; BMCRE 618; Cohen 174; RCV --; CRE 353.

Venus:

[​IMG]
    Faustina II, AD 147-175/6.
    Roman orichalcum dupondius, 14.77 g, 26.5 mm, 12 h.
    Rome, AD 147-150.
    Obv: FAVSTINAE AVG PII AVG FIL, draped bust right with strand of pearls.
    Rev: VENVS S C, Venus standing left, holding apple and rudder, around the shaft of which a dolphin is entwined.
    Refs: RIC 1409b; BMCRE 2160-63; Cohen 269; RCV 4736.

Laetitia:

[​IMG]
    Julia Domna, AD 193-217.
    Roman AR denarius, 3.44 g, 18.6 mm, 11 h.
    Antioch? Laodicea? AD 196-202 (or later).
    Obv: IVLIA AVGVSTA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: LAETITIA, Laetitia standing left, holding wreath and rudder.
    Refs: RIC 641; BMCRE 604-610; Cohen/RSC 101; RCV 6590; CRE 364.

A centaur:

[​IMG]
    Gallienus, AD 253-268.
    Roman AE Antoninianus, 2.73 g, 18.6 mm, 12 h.
    Rome, AD 267-268.
    Obv: GALLIENVS AVG, radiate head right.
    Rev: APOLLINI CONS AVG, Centaur walking left, holding globe and rudder; H in exergue.
    Refs: RIC 164; Cohen 73; RCV 10178.

15. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Nice coins RC. And thanks for sharing “ladies” with the rudder.

Roman Collector likes this.
  16. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Monsters with rudders...

Plautilla - Nicomedia Triton.jpg PLAUTILLA
    AE Assarion. 3.68g, 19.4mm. BITHYNIA, Nicomedia, circa AD 202-205. RG 253 (same obv. die); Lindgren & Kovacs 172 (same obv. die). O: ΦOY ΠΛAYTIΛΛA CEBA-CTH, draped bust right. R: NIKOMHΔEΩN - ΔIC NEΩKO/PΩN (second neocorate), (Female?) Ichthyocentaur, diademed, nude, with forefeet of horse and serpentine-shaped fishtail, riding left over waves, holding rudder over left shoulder and in extended right hand unknown object (dolphin?).

RR Sextus Pompey - Scylla.jpg ROMAN IMPERATORS. Sextus Pompey
    AR Denarius. 3.76g, 18.9mm. Sicily, 40-39 BC. Crawford 511/4; Sydenham 1348; Sear, Imperators 335. O: The Pharos of Messana surmounted by a statue of Neptune; in foreground, galley left adorned with legionary eagle, sceptre and trident; MAG PIVS IMP ITER around. R: Scylla left, wielding a rudder in both hands; PRÆF CLAS ET ORÆ MARIT EX SC around.
    Ex Andrew McCabe Collection, privately purchased from John Jencek, 2011

17. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

If I was a deity and had to use my divine rudder to steer the lives and fates of mortals, I'd definitely emulate this Tyche of Alexandria and do so while chillaxing on my comfy garlanded couch.

Antoninus Pius - x6 Drachm Tyche 2592b.jpg
    ANTONINUS PIUS
    AE Drachm. 27.11g, 33.9mm. EGYPT, Alexandria, RY 8 (AD 144/5). RPC Online temp #15717; Dattari 2891; Emmett 1687.8. O: AYT K T AIL ADP ANTWNEI NOC CEB EYC, laureate head right. R: Tyche wearing kalathos reclining left on garlanded lectisternium, resting left elbow on cushion, holding a rudder in right hand.
    Ex stevex6 Collection

18. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

Fabulous post. I had never before made the etymological connection between the gubernaculum and our government, but I must say that it makes a lot of sense now that I think of it, though not so much in the "steering" sense.

19. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Philipalex2 (5).jpg
    Alexandria. Philip I. Tyche reclining left on lectistern Alexandria. Philip I. Tyche reclining left on lectistern holding rudder. 3rd regnal year. Emmett 3515, Milne 3608-10

Clipboard~5.jpg Pisidia, Termessos Major. Æ30 Obv: TEΡMHCCEΩN AVTONOMWN Θ, laureate head of Zeus right.
    Rev: TΩN MEIZONΩN, Tyche standing left, wearing kalathos, holding rudder and cornucopiae, Θ in left field.
    AD 238-268.

Nathan401, Johndakerftw, Bing and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted