The greatest day in my journey through ancient coinage

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Are you accusing me of being a peddler of fake coins? How dare you. You don't even know me. I've had one or two fake coins in my possession in the past by honest error in mine and a dealer's part, but everyone here knows my reputation as a collector as well as the quality of my collection. I'm done with you. It's not worth it.

You also owe an apology to @John Anthony who originally got this coin for me. He might not be perfect, but he is a very reputable dealer and a well respected collector.

Unless you have anything more valuable to contribute than "FAAAAAKE" I will kindly ask you to move along.

dlhill132, Paul M., Volodya and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It may seem uncharacteristically agreeable coming from me and directed at a 12 Caesars coin but I love that one. I'd rather have it than the majority of the Caesar portrait coins I have seen. The punch might be a bit of a flaw but the obverse being off center allowed it to fall in benign places on both sides of the coin. Were it perfectly centered a punch in the head would have destroyed the reverse figure. Sure we all wish all our coins were 'perfect' but my eye in this case beholds beauty. Congratulations.

dlhill132, Paul M., Mikey Zee and 6 others like this.
  4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

So what? If you do not know enough to voice an opinion then don't

Paul M. and Sallent like this.
  5. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

@Sallent, I think you are entitled to be a drama queen, maybe for a week :D fabulous score.

6. Sallent

Thanks @TIF . You are right. No sense getting worked up over a troll.

And thanks for the compliment on the coin. Coming from you it definitely means a lot to me, as you are one of the collectors whom I admire and look up to the most in this forum.

Paul M., gregarious, TIF and 2 others like this.
  7. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Wonderful coin @Sallent I hope you enjoy it for many years to come. Every ancient collector should have a portrait of JC.

I love your enthusiasm for your coin and the ways you have pictured it.

Paul M., Curtisimo and Sallent like this.
  8. pihiyomi

pihiyomi New Member

Apologize for an opinion?...
    Does anyone to come of any piece of the same type?

9. pihiyomi

pihiyomi New Member

convinced me please

10. pihiyomi

pihiyomi New Member

11. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Great coin Sallent, that is a real collector's milestone!

John

12. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Congrats, it;s a great coin!

13. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Congrats Sallent , great coin, great pictures !

Here are the 3 Caesars in one picture , possible die match reverse CNG coin and your coin ?? caesar 1.jpg

dlhill132, Paul M., Volodya and 4 others like this.
  14. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Congrats on finding and getting the coin. Its always a good feeling to scratch a coin of the want list, not to mention if its a hard to find one.

15. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Now that I see the OP and CNG coins together, maybe they are not a die match...but very, very close - rendered by the same engraver at least.

16. alde

alde Always Learning

I hope you start an Eids of March thread next month so we can all enjoy the great JC coins that you and some others have. I know I never get tired of looking at them.

Paul M., gregarious and Sallent like this.
  17. Sallent

Thank you. I think it has inspired me to do a 12 Caesars in silver as a long term goal. I may have to hunt for some of those emperors in provincial silver though, as some of them are mad expensive in Imperial silver. I'm in no hurry to finish it though, so you never know, I may have a Caligula imperial fall into my hands at a good bargain price one day.

Paul M. and gregarious like this.
  18. Sallent

LOL, even though I never gamble, I'll play the lottery this week just to see if we can make that a reality. You better believe it that an Eids of March denarii would be in my future if I won the Powerball.

Heck, I'd even treat you all to a free denarius of Trajan or Caracalla (my two favorite Roman Emperors) if that was the case.

Paul M., alde and red_spork like this.
  19. alde

alde Always Learning

I just meant a thread of JC coins to commemorate the day.

20. pihiyomi

pihiyomi New Member

It is your choice sallent Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 8.18.53 PM.png

Mikey Zee likes this.
  21. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I hate to rain on your parade, but I will be winning the powerball tonight. :greedy:

Paul M., alde and Sallent like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted