The Great 'Megas'

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pavlos, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Besides Alexander the Great, there was another the Great, another 'Megas'. His name is Antiochos III, and he was the greatest of all Seleukid kings after Seleukos I Nikator.

Too often he is remembered only as the man who lost to the Romans at the battle of Magnesia, Antiochos however, was one of the most powerful and capable rulers at the time. Having emerged from civil war in 223 BC as the sole survivor of the Seleukid dynasty, he shouldered the burdens of a weakened and divided realm. Though defeated by Egypt in the Fourth Syrian War, he gradually restored full control over the empire. His great Eastern campaign took back India for the first time since Alexander and, returning west, he went on to conquer Thrace and finally freed Syria from Ptolemaic control.
    Then came intervention in Greece and the clash with Rome leading to the defeat at Magnesia and the restrictive Peace of Apamea. Despite this, Antiochos remained ambitious, campaigning in the East again; when he died in 187 BC the empire was still one of the most powerful states in the world.

His reign is long and complex so I keep it short, but I think this summary shows what kind of man Megas really was besides his defeat at Magnesia.

Hereby the portrait of Megas, he truly looks great!
    [​IMG]
    Antiochos III Megas (223 - 187 B.C.). AR Tetradrachm. Antioch mint. Series 3, circa 204–197 B.C.
    Obverse:
    Diademed head of Antiochos III to right.
    Reverse: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ANTIOXOY. Apollo seated left on omphalos, holding arrow in his right hand and resting his left on grounded bow; to outer left, bow in bowcase.
    Reference: SC 1044.5a; Le Rider series 3-4, obv. A12; BMC 27; HGC 9, 447u.
    17.07g

Post your coins of Antiochos III, or any other related coins, or another 'Megas'.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Wowie! That's a beauty. Great coin of a great leader. Coingrats!!! I have been trying for one of those silver sweeties for sometimenow. Thanks for sharing her buddy.
    Humm, Megas, Megas. What do I have of Antiochos III 'Megas'... oh, yeah! One of the crown jewels of my MSC just so happens to be of ol Megas-man:
    20190503_142549_16BFB532-AB6D-4396-AFF1-3DCE8330AB28-489-000000AEB250706D(1).png
    Antiochos III Megas
    Seleukid Kingdom. Uncertain (military) mint 60. 223-187 BC. Struck 202-187 BC Bronze Æ 17mm., 4,60g. Macedonian shield with gorgoneion in central boss / ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑNΤΙΟΧΟΥ, elephant walking right, anchor above, monogram of ΠΑ below. very fine SC 1089.3a; HGC 9, 490
    Former: Savoca
    Mega+Man+(Europe)-image.jpg

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Excellent coin, @Pavlos . Great history summary.

Me: None to offer, regrets.

I can toss out the start of the Seleukids

upload_2020-6-15_15-7-38.png
    SELEUKID KINGDOM.
    Seleukos I, 312-280 BCE.
    AR Tetradrachm (14.46 gm) of Seleucia on the Tigris.
    Laureate head of Zeus /
    Athena driving chariot drawn by four horned elephants.
    SC.130. Toned, VF, some tooling. Rare.
    Ex: Pegasi

With the successful conclusion of the Babylonian War against Antigonos Monophthalmos in 309 BC, Seleukos had secured his western border. He then turned his eyes eastwards and attacked Chandragupta, the ruler of the Mauryan Empire in northern India. Sometime around 303 BC a peace treaty was agreed, one term of which was that Seleukos would receive 500 elephants from Chandragupta. The chariot of elephants on this coin serves as a reminder of these elephants.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  5. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

AntiochosIIITetAntioch2.jpg
    Antiochos III, "The Great." 223-187 BC. AR Tetradrachm (16.56 gm, 12h, 30mm). Antioch on the Orontes mint, circa 223-213 BC. Obv: Diademed head right. Rev:Apollo seated l. on omphalos, holding arrow and bow; monograms to outer l. WSM 1045, SC 1042.3a; HGC 9, 447u.

6. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Fantastic coin, @Pavlos!

Here is my one of my favorite tets from before Antiochus III became great.
    1D4AA21F-50B5-4F0B-A9E4-6862FDD6687A.jpeg
    Antiochus III. 223-187 BC. AR Tetradrachm
    16.97 Grams
    Seleucia on the Tigris. First Reign, Before the Revolt of Melon, Ca. 223-221 BC. Diademed head of Antiochus III right / ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ on right, ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ on left, Nude Apollo seated left on omphalos, slight drapery on right thigh, holding arrow in right hand, left hand resting on bow, Control marks in outer left and right fields and in exergue.
    Rare
    One thing about Antiochus III is that we can track his age chronologicaly through his portraits. He is 18/19 on my coin, but a middle aged adult on yours.

Antiochus’s grin on my coin honestesly reminds me of the Mellow mushroom man.
    4D25F922-DC0E-420D-AFD0-843012458EE4.png

7. Alegandron

Unless you are going to treat everyone by sending them these delicious pizzas, it is unfair of you to post this sort of YUM!

8. Carl Wilmont

Carl Wilmont Well-Known Member

Nice coin! Here's the Megas further up the Greek tree:

Alexander III Tetradrachm Tarsos.jpg

Alexander III 'the Great' AR Tetradrachm. Tarsos, circa 327-323 BC. Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin headdress / ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ, Zeus Aëtophoros seated left, holding sceptre; plough in left field, Θ below throne. 27 mm. 17.1 g.

Pavlos, David@PCC, Theodosius and 9 others like this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

While not what you wanted here, the greatest Megas IMHO was the one who thought of himself to be so great that he felt no need to place his name on his coins. 'Soter Megas' of the Kushans called himself only 'Great Savior' to the point that only recent discoveries allow us to associate his reign with the name Vima Takto. Rather few of his coins survive with full legends so I selected this one since 'Megas' is clear at 11 o'clock.
    ob1995bb2448.jpg

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Doug beat me to it. Somehow I ended up with three of these Kushan "Vima Takto" coins. The first was purchased for a stupidly high price because I was happy to find an ancient coin for sale, not set in jewelry, locally (local was the Virgin Islands at that time). The second two were last-hour and last-dollar pickups at my first coin show, purchased from Educational Coin Company who had a big bag of them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Pavlos, That's a great looking coin & excellent photo :D. Many of the Antiochos III Tets I've seen have been struck with worn dies & have a mushy appearance.

Pavlos likes this.
  12. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

PeteB, You've got a beautiful Tet of Antiochos III, & excellent photo too :D. The comparison of portrait styles between your coin & the Pavlos Tet is interesting ;).

13. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

I hate when that happens
    Screenshot_20200616-060159_Samsung Internet.jpg

Every time I see that coin I really like the style.

g288.jpg
    Antiochus III
    Mint: Antioch on the Orontes
    Series I
    223 to 187 BC
    Obvs: Laureate head of Antiochus as Apollo right. Dotted border.
    Revs: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY, Apollo seated left on omphalos testing arrow and resting left hand on grounded bow. Control mark outer left.
    23x24mm, 11.96g
    Ref: SC 1048.1a; HGC 9, 466(R2)

g327.jpg
    Antiochus III
    Mint: Soli
    197 to 187 BC
    Obvs: Head of Apollo right, hair rolled around face. Krobylos behind, dotted border.
    Revs: BAΣIΛEΩΣ on right ANTIOXOY on left, Athena enthroned left holding Nike and resting left elbow on shield. Dotted border.
    22x23mm, 14.07g
    Ref: SC 1024.1; HGC 9, 465(R2)

Pavlos, Carl Wilmont, TIF and 6 others like this.
  14. Alegandron

upload_2020-6-16_7-47-8.png
    INDIA
    Kushan Empire
    Vima Takto-Soter Megas
    Æ Tet 21mm 8.5g
    CE 80-100
    scepter
    tamgha on horse r holding axe tamgha
    Senior B17.1vT

15. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Rare footage of Antiochus III defeating Melon outside of Seleucia.

16. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Thank you Ryro, and thanks for sharing your cool shield coin. The Seleukids have quite some shield coins, so perhaps you should look into that. I am still jealous on your Seleukos I one :rolleyes:

I love that type, I hope to get one some day, very cool coin.

Wonderful coin @PeteB, the portrait of your Megas is much younger. Mine is in his mid adulthood.

What a rarity and nice to see that coin again, the young portrait is wonderful and not often seen.
    I saw @David@PCC joked about the "Melon" thing already hehe. It is "Molon" ;)

Great coin @Carl Wilmont, I need to get a proper Lifetime issue Alexander tetradrachm some day. He was indeed, the greatest Megas.

Totally forgot about that Megas, I am not so familiar with the Kushan and Indo-Greek kingdom. Made me want to read more about them. Thank you for sharing and indeed very clearly 'Megas' can be read.

Thank you for sharing these coins as well @TIF, beautiful photographs of coins I am quite unfamiliar about. Interesting style these Kushan coins, doesn't really look like they were influenced that much by Hellenism.

Thank you @Al Kowsky :)
    I enjoy the sharpness and relief on coins. In hand it looks even more beautiful.

Thanks David, I like the style as well. If I buy a tetradrachm from the Megas, it atleast has to look like a Megas.

Carl Wilmont and Ryro like this.
  17. Alegandron

Thank you! When I ran across this coin, I knew I needed it. It is one if those coins that if you knew their history, you just “get it”.

And, I also think Chandragupta was very interesting.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    Ryro and Pavlos like this.
  18. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Nice coins, everyone. I, too, thought of the Kushan Vima Takto aka "Soter Megas" when reading the title:
    Orient, Antike – Kushan – Vima Takto.png
    Vima Takto, Kushan Empire, AE tetradrachm, ca. 80–95 AD, Taxila mint? Obv: Radiate (nine rays) and diademed bust r., holding sceptre; to l., tamgha. Rev: BACIΛЄωN Cω[THP MЄΓA]C; crowned and diademed king on horseback r., raising r. hand and holding reins in l. 20mm, 8.06g. Ref: Mitchiner 2941–2943.

Yet, I was pleasantly surprised that this is a Seleucid thread. Here are some unspectacular bronzes of Antiochos III:
    Seleukiden – Antiochos III der Große, AE, Apollo u. Elephant, SC I 979.png
    Antiochos III “the Great,” Seleucid Empire, AE denomination D, 223–187 BC, Sardes mint. Obv: head of Apollo r. Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY; elephant standing l., anchor in l. field. 12mm, 2.39g. Ref: Seleucid Coins I, 979.

Seleukiden – Antiochos III der Große, Nominal D, Apollo, SNG Cop 154.png
    Antiochos III “the Great,” Seleucid Empire, AE denomination D, 223–187 BC, ? mint. Obv: head of Apollo r. Rev: BAΣIΛEΩ[Σ] [A]NTI]OXOY; Apollo standing r., holding bow and arrow. 11mm, 1.78g. Ref: SNG Copenhagen 154; SNG Israel 583.

Pavlos, Bing, Carl Wilmont and 4 others like this.
  19. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

QUOTE from Ryro:
    Seleukid Kingdom. Uncertain (military) mint 60. 223-187 BC. Struck 202-187 BC Bronze Æ 17mm., 4,60g. Macedonian shield with gorgoneion in central boss / ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑNΤΙΟΧΟΥ, elephant walking right, anchor above, monogram of ΠΑ below. very fine SC 1089.3a; HGC 9, 490

One similar to Ryro's but Antiochos I. Not too great, but....
    AntiochosIElephant.jpg
    SELEUKID KINGS of SYRIA. Antiochos I Soter. 281-261 BC. Æ (17mm, 4.25 gm). Carrhae mint. Obv: Macedonian shield with central Gorgon head. Rev: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ, elephant walking right; WSM 789.

Pavlos, Johndakerftw, Bing and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted