The Great Kushan Dinar - Vasu Deva

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancientnoob, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Last of the Great Kushan Vasu Deva I, taking the thrown in AD 189 Vasu Deva is thought to be the son of Huvishka and an Hindu woman. This conclusion is drawn from his obviously Hindu name. It is thought that in the years between the great king Kanishka and his father Huvishka, that some political or social instability may have caused deep rooted fractures in the Kushan Empire.

Coins of these earlier rulers included a Pantheon of Iranic and Hellenic gods, while the coins of Vasu Deva with some super duper rare gold exceptions feature Siva. The reason for the change is largely unknown, but it can lead to some speculation. Maybe those in the far western portions of the empire were ill treated under some new religious supervision. We do know that the Kushan Empire came under invasion by Sassanian Persia at the command Ardashir I soon after taking throne in AD 224. Ardashir proceeded to annex the province of Balkh (modern Afghanistan), which up until that time was part of the Kushan Empire, and home to many of those who still worshiped Iranic and Hellenic gods.

Ardashir I (r. AD 224-242)
    20141218_ArdashirIReshoot_opt.jpg
    You can find the coins of Vasu Deva in bronze and gold.

In a nut shell, I scratched #2 off the list. I just turned down a super offer for it...I guess I will have to live with my decision. Such as life...enjoy.

Please share your coins of the Kushan Empire and associated peoples.

Kushan Empire
    Mint A or B(?)
    Vasu Deva I (r. AD 189-225)
    AV Dinar (s. AD 200-225)
    20 mm x 8.02 grams
    Obverse: Crowned and armored, diademed king with long hair, standing facing, nimbate, holding trident and sacrificing at altar at left,second trident above fire altar, Bactrian legend around: þAONANOþAO BA .. ZOΔηO KOþN (King of Kings Bazodeo Kushan)
    Reverse: Two-armed Shiva standing facing, holding trident and diadem, Bull Nandi left behind, Bactrian legend left: OηþO, tamgha at right
    Ref: Gobl #528

VasudevaC2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

oh wow, that's a great coin also. i have some coins incoming that would be nice here...hope they show up soon.

so this is a kushan and not a sassanian coin? or is it kind of both?

Ancientnoob and panzerman like this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Dude, nice captures! Wow, this seems to be the Year of the Noob! Great job, and a wonderful feeling to land the big ones!

Theodosius, Ancientnoob and panzerman like this.
  5. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Here is one of my Kushan coins. EX: Sunrise Collection

Huvishka I 152-192AD
    AV Dinar ND Balkh Mint
    19mm 7.85g mint state
    obv. King sitting on cloud!
    rev. Siva holding on to a lot of stuff! 1515206l.jpg

6. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Gorgeous coins Noob and P-Man!!!:wideyed:

Now those examples could make a 'Eastern' fanatic out of me:D

panzerman and Ancientnoob like this.
  7. Ancientnoob

This is straight up Kushan!

panzerman likes this.
  8. Ancientnoob

Sick coin. Sick, Sick Sick.

panzerman likes this.
  9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

oh yeah, that's a kushan from a mile away...and a wonderful one. i was on my wife's phone of instead of my pc with a giganto monitor and got confused...plus is was saturday night. so ...you know.

anyway, here is a AE of vasu deva, it's pretty much the same theme, king with shiva and bull...but not quite as pretty hu? ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

congrats on another fantastic gold coin AN!

10. Ancientnoob

Still awesome @chrsmat71 !!!

11. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Great coins all of them !
    My decision to stick to copper and silver becomes harder with time.

Alegandron and Ancientnoob like this.
  12. Ancientnoob

Thats where I am at bro.

Draft saved Draft deleted