The Great American Coin Hunt Trophy Board

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Hommer, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Hunting season is here, though I will miss the opening day, I intend to go into full stealth mode and bag a trophy before it ends. I'll be the guy dressed in full unsuspecting newb collector camouflage.

Please post photos of your trophies or contents of your game bag here and I will do the same. Catch and release photos are welcome too.

Tlberg and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FooFighter

FooFighter Just a Knucklehead Coin Hunter

Don't even know where to hunt,,,,, being new to being a Coin Hunter and all :pompous:

4. KeviniswhoIam

KeviniswhoIam Well-Known Member

You know, for a couple months I have been reading about this. I own a retail store. Just the other day I noticed a very worn buffalo nickel in the change drawer.....far too worn to discern a date. Weird, but sometimes I see them, maybe one or two times per year. Then, THE VERY NEXT DAY, in a different cash drawer, I got a '35 buffalo....much better condition. I found it odd that this happened, possibly too much of a coincidence? Then I thought, could this be part of the GACH?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Just watch your change. I am dumping about twenty old coins into circulation myself tomorrow. My dealer has been dumping all month.

6. FooFighter

That's cool Randy. Thanks I appreciate it. I found 1 Web site that described it pretty well and they even had a map, but due too extremely heavy use, the map page failed days ago and they haven't been able to get it going again. Lol

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  7. Randy Abercrombie

I wouldn’t be too worried about the map. I know what you are talking about. Thing is, this deal has a lot of old guys like me excited and there are many, many dealers/collectors that aren’t on that map that are participating. My dealer isn’t on that map and he has been dumping old coins into circulation every day this month.

8. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

We were at our seder last night and I announced the GACH to all. My niece shows me a coin she recieved that morning in change. It was a 1934 buffalo nickle.

Let the hunt, and release, commence.

Good luck all.

9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Here you go.
    https://www.zeemaps.com/map

fireguy83 likes this.
  10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Like Randy, I know my one and only dealer in Helena is dumping and I will release some Buffalo Nickels as I make purchases too.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  11. Randy Abercrombie

Just gave the coffee shop lady two buffalo nickels, a wheat and an Indian cent change. She didn’t bat an eye.

Ag76, CircCam and KeviniswhoIam like this.
  12. Tlberg

Tlberg Well-Known Member

I've just learned about this, on facebook of all places :-/

13. FooFighter

Wow you guys doing the dumping are too cool, like a godsend. (that sounds and looks wierd just saying that). Lol
    Keep up the good work,

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  14. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I'd release my 1909 S VDB into circulation but i dont think the slab would fit in the cents section of the register;):rolleyes:

15. Randy Abercrombie

It is selfish too. I remember how exciting it was for me as a kid to find a wheat cent in my change and even the occasional Franklin half. It felt like winning the lottery. So in this case, giving is the ultimate joy....... Not to mention I want to make sure there are still some excited numismatists to buy my coins someday down the road!;)

Seattlite86, FooFighter and Ag76 like this.
  16. FooFighter

Yea that's selfish alright, JUST SO YOU COULD FEEL GOOD!!! Lol jk either way, it's still pretty cool AND aside from possibly getting some young kid (boy OR girl) excited about coins, that is the ultimate example of old and new, ying/yang the circle of life if you will. I wish someone would have done that for me 40 years ago, I might know something by now.
    I'm secretly hoping that enough ignorant people keep using whatever coins until at least ONE of them make its way to me. Lol Is that selfish?
    I remember in Oregon, Wendey's drive thru, the lady behind me looked like she was having a bad day. Kid was kicking the back of her seat, and you could tell she was bummin. So when I pulled
    up to pay for mine, I heard her total and paid for hers too. It was priceless and warmed my heart just to see the look on her face as I pulled away. That's just who I am. Don't ask my ex-wife tho. She might have a different answer. Lmao

17. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Over the next few weeks 5 mix date rolls of wheat's and 2 partial date rolls buffaloes. I also do this starting on Black Friday for the holidays. Last 8 years.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  18. FooFighter

That's great tibor.

19. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

@FooFighter I think that most of us on this and other forums should participate in this event . Do what ever you can, a few wheaties, Prez dollars or whatever. If at one time it was of interest to you it most likely will be to someone else. Get it out of your junk box and into someone's fledgling collection.

20. FooFighter

Thank you Mt Man but I got the same message.
    This map has been temporarily disabled due to excessive use.

Inspector43 likes this.
  21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

You ham

GenX Enthusiast, Tlberg and Evan8 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted