The Grain Collection of gold ducats

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by goldducat, May 29, 2023.

1. goldducat

goldducat Active Member

The Grain Collection is a collection of 85 Netherlands gold ducats. Quite a lot, so I would like to tell you about it in a few words. It's not mine, but I know these coins very well. From a certain stage I was asked for advice by the owner in building this collection. The coins represent the period of minting from the end of the 16th century until the second half of the 20th century, but the largest number of ducats is from the provincial period, i.e. until 1795.

And here we come to the most important thing that made me publish this post. Such a time span of minting all the 85 coins in the Grain Collection resulted in the fact that the descriptions for each coin were compiled and published in the form of a pdf file, which is available for free download on the auction website. And it is a unique opportunity to observe the differences between particular ducats from different provinces over the years so easily. You can also trace the connections between the mints, where entire families of mintmasters or die sinkers were employed in the mints for many decades.

If any of you are interested in this coinage and have questions, feel free to ask. You may also write which coins from this collection or which minting period you like the most :) Link to the auction page is https://onebid.pl/en/auction/1494465/2343

Burnside_Q, tibor and muhfff like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted