The Goal of a Young Collector

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Walking Sterling Silver, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Walking Sterling Silver

Walking Sterling Silver 16 Years Old and Love to Learn

As a young collector that is 14 descisions are tough when you don't have a lot of money. Until now I have a focus in my collection. I've decided to put all my time into collecting Ike's and Kennedys. But graded ones. Tim C. recently helped me. Him and his son own the Acadia and PDSHAD collection (top rated kennedy collection in PCGS). A very honorable person. I got major dates. My major focus is Dollars and Halves. Minor denomination is Ike's and Kennedy's. Cheap for a kid. Anyone who'd like to help, much appreciated. I hope to have a very nice set one day with proofs, varieties, and such. Up next I have to get Ike's. My goal is to have a complete buisness and proof set graded from PCGS and some NGC some day. Maybe a large variety and error set. It'll be called the Fredrick Collection in honor of my Grandpa who's inspired me to join the hunt, although he helps on the little things and doesn't collect himself. The dream starts here!

Special Thanks To: Tim C, McBlzr, spirityoda, Galen59, coinaddict1785, throwbackkid, and LostDutchmanRareCoins. -Good luck on the hunt guys!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

that's good that you have a goal. that's a lot of Kennedy halves. lol :blackalien:

4. Walking Sterling Silver

5. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

It's a good goal, for ya'.

6. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Sounds good, my friend. Best of luck in the hunt.

7. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

The Acadia Collections and PDSHAD collections are owned by two different collectors, one on the right coast and the other on the left (wrong) coast. In the PCGS Registry, on some of the Kennedy sets, both collections seem to sometimes tie for the first place award. Phil has some better Proof coins for the series and I (we) usually do better with the business strike side of the series (the combination sets of both business strikes and proofs seem to even out on the point system).

Kennedy Half Dollars are fun to collect and I would never try to talk anyone out of collecting what they like but….. I hope you really think about what you want before you put too much money into the slabs.

A few things to consider:
    a. What slab company do you want to use?
    b. What are their grading standards?
    c. What percentage will the slab/coin retain in value if sold?
    d. If you upgrade the slab, is there a market for the under graded coin?
    e. Storage of collection?

Unless it is a top pop coin, with the Kennedy series the cost of having the coin certified might be more then the coin is worth.

Until you can consistently grade raw coins of the series within a point plus or minus, I would recommend just getting a nice DANSCO album that you can see both sides of the coin. This way when you find a better looking coin, you can just replace it in the album plus you will find out which dates and mintmarks are more difficult to find in the higher grades. I know of a few collectors that just have their collection in 2 X 2s and when they find a better example – they just replace the 2 X 2.

I know dad is sending you a few coins to start a grading set of PCGS certified Kennedy half dollars but don’t think that you have to have your collection entirely in PCGS slabs.

Go slow and have fun, see if there is a local coin club in your area to join, attain local coin shows and if there are any B & M coin shops in your area – visit and learn.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I would have to agree that slabbing Kennedy halves might not be cost effective.
    some coins might not be worth the grading fees.
    some very high grade deep cameo proofs might be worth it though. :blackalien:

9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I'll see if my local coin shop has a dansco album for Kenndy halves you. if so, do you want me to get it for you ?

10. Walking Sterling Silver

11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

12. Walking Sterling Silver

Buy them graded instead of grading them.

13. Walking Sterling Silver

Great idea. I'll take it slow first.

14. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

15. Walking Sterling Silver

I'll explain after school.

Draft saved Draft deleted