The gift of a Wang Mang

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

My receptionist is of Chinese descent. I showed her my ancient Chinese coins recently and she was blown away by them, so much so that she can't stop talking about ancient coins now. I fear I might have awaken the numismatics bug in her. So I got her the gift of a Wang Mang. Can't think of a better Emperor to gift away...as he was quite a colorful character.

So here she is before I give her away to her new home. Feel free to post any coins you want.

FYo7x6BQRer92yEcmK94Lg5g3Ssnq8.jpg
    Xin Dynasty, Emperor Wang Mang, 7 - 23 AD
    AE 5 Zhu, 24mm, 3.28 grams
    Obverse: HUO QUAN. Double inner rim.
    Reverse: Blank, as made.
    Hartill9.34
    From his complex and unpopular monetary reform, which included denominations of 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 50, 500 and 1,000 Zhu. These coins were largely similar in weight and appearance, and were difficult to use. It also explains why so many people hoarded earlier currency to use rather than the current official token coinage.

dlhill132, Ajax, Ed Snible and 20 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Nice coin and great gesture @Sallent. It's also nice to see you posting again. Haven't seen you around in a while.

Deacon Ray and PlanoSteve like this.
  4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I check the forums regularly, but I've been busy with work and also with building models of rockets and other space-related subjects in the evenings (quite a relaxing hobby). Here is a Lego Saturn V that I just finished for my son.

"That's one small step for Lego, one giant leap for Lego kind."

IMG_20180217_234554648.jpg IMG_20180217_234542430.jpg

5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

You can never go wrong with Wang Mang!

CB5E968B-8885-4A2D-8169-144AF87D2EC5.jpeg

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I've given Wang Mang cash away, too, as it happens, but none were remotely near that quality. Great gift!

Several years ago I gave a coworker a Tang Dynasty cash coin with cool patina on it, and to my surprise, he put it on a leather thong and wore it around his neck for the rest of the time I knew him. It really resonated with him. He was into martial arts and had a few hippie tendencies.

More recently, another coworker was quite taken with the Chien-Lung cash I gave her.

They do make terrific gifts, don't they? :)

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have a few Wang Mang... nice looking AE's everyone!

China Wang Mang 14-22 CE FSR 125.jpg
    China Wang Mang 14-22 CE FSR 125

China Wang Mang 7-23 CE Hsin AE Cash Xiao Quan Zhi Yi H 9.14.jpg
    China Wang Mang 7-23 CE Hsin AE Cash Xiao Quan Zhi Yi H 9.14

China Wang Mang 7-23 CE Xin Dyn AE 5 Zhu 23mm Huo Quan H 9.43.jpg
    China Wang Mang 7-23 CE Xin Dyn AE 5 Zhu 23mm Huo Quan H 9.43

China Wang Mang 14-22 CE FSR 124.jpg
    China Wang Mang 14-22 CE FSR 124

China Wang Mang 14-22 CE FSR 155 H 9.34.jpg
    China Wang Mang 14-22 CE FSR 155 H 9.34

China Wang Mang 14-22 CE FSR 150 O-R.jpg
    China Wang Mang 14-22 CE FSR 150

China Wang Mang 14-22 CE Huo Chuan FSR 149.jpg
    China Wang Mang 14-22 CE Huo Chuan FSR 149

China Wang Mang 7-27 CE AE 5 Zhu Xin Dynasty - Emperor 5 Zhu stroke to lower left.JPG
    China Wang Mang 7-27 CE AE 5 Zhu Xin Dynasty - Emperor 5 Zhu stroke to lower left

8. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

I gave a friend of mine a Qianlong coin as well. He did an XRF test on it (it is brass, like any other coi, and listed the closest match on a modern copper alloy scale. The only difference in the two was that the coin has more lead!

Theodosius likes this.
  9. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

Wow that draft did not save at all. What I meant to say was that he did an XRF test on it (it is brass, like any other cash coin after the 16th century), listed its phase diagram, and compared it to the closest match on a modern alloy specifications chart. The only difference is that the coin has more lead. The modern alloy is even used for ornamental castings!

10. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

A few photos in this thread are upside down. Let's see who can spot them!

Alegandron likes this.
  11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

upload_2018-2-21_9-18-2.png
    upload_2018-2-21_9-18-30.png

dlhill132, Johndakerftw and chrsmat71 like this.
  12. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

I have a small hoard of Wang Mang that I enjoy very much. Some crusty, a few quite nice. Sorry, no photos...yet.

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Agree! I have given away cash including Wang Mang for exactly that reason but I wonder one thing. Is it possible that these are actually very rare coins but each has been given away so many times that we think they are common? I suspect some recipients can not understand why anyone would part with such a wonderful treasure.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  14. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Bought this set in China for $9,99 incl shipment

P1150306.JPG

and bought this Lady Cash figurine on a local site for 10 euro

P1150121.JPG

15. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

I have, I think, a Wang Mang cash. But I bought it cheaply on eBay, and I don't know how to tell if it is genuine or a modern fake. What do you look for? It is 24 mm wide, c. 1 mm thick, fairly "crusty," and has three small pinholes, which the seller claimed were original casting holes. (Did I get it right side up?) Wang Mang obverse.jpg Wang Mang reverse.jpg Wang Mang with pinholes.jpg

16. lordmarcovan

Most of the ones I had had some of those pinhole casting flaws.

Neal likes this.
  17. lordmarcovan

I love the figurine! What's that, off to the right, outside of the frame? Looks interesting.

18. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Thanks!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  19. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

You did pretty good on the attribution, however, this particular type (though originally issued by Wang Mang) are now thought to be funerary coins produced specifically for burial. They are distinguished from the official issues by their reduced size and weight and crudeness of casting (thus the holes in your example). The most recent attribution has them as Eastern Han, minted between 25 and 75 AD. Gratzer and Fishman have them rated as 'scarce' to 'rare' though at the moment they are plentiful and more easily obtained than an official mint issue.

And oh. You got the alignment correct!

Alegandron, Neal and lordmarcovan like this.
  20. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Thank you! That's really great information on this!

21. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Its one of the BP cards with free tokens inserted , wich were given by the BP gasstations with every fill up. awoke my interest in ancient coins when I was a kid.

P1140634.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted