The Future

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aidan_(), Jun 5, 2018.

1. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

There is great potential for the hobby in the near future. Here's the pitch, if someone were to host a youtube channel and provide the numismatic community with high quality, very informative videos on ancient coins, collectors and have interviews (with other aspects like show reports, etc.). would there be any demand for it? Not just from the noobs but also from advanced seasoned (ancient) collectors like you folks?

Do feel free to post any criticism, questions, ideas, coins or videos.

I expect 6 page essays from each of you by tomorrow... :rolleyes:

Side note: I know this thread is pretty short but if you have any questions I'll be happy to elaborate on some of my thoughts for this.

Aidan

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I like the general idea, but not the platform. I am a believer in the podcast model, video or audio. YouTube is inextricably linked to "amateurism".

4. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

You ask "would there be any demand for it?" .. I suppose it all depends on what you would consider good demand. I would certainly get excited for a project like this but I have no idea how large the ancient coin community is.

5. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

A six page essay you say? I'll definitely win that contest. Excuse me while I get to using my vastly superior talents as a liar...uhm, I meant to say lawyer. Anyway, I will use those vast skills as a lawyer to steal...plagiarize...fraudulently take...I mean to craft a paper of my own that most definitely does not steal from the work of others. :rolleyes: Man, I'm having a hard time picking the right words that make people think I'm a slimy untrustworthy vampire lizard....oops, I did it again. I meant to say attorney. :vamp:

@Aidan_() Let me get back to you on that. I have to check with my State Bar, as I think the brain implant they gave me with the software to try to pass me off as a human being must have had a bug in it. They better fix it before the reputation of the legal profession suffers. We certainly wouldn't want to sink lower than the highly prestigious level of a Used Car Salesman.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Yes, it does. And that bug is A ROACH!

11121.jpeg

7. Sallent

Ok Aidan, if you want to start a YouTube channel I will volunteer for an interview or two. I'll travel the 2-3 hours to your place and bring my collection, and talk about Gordian III, or The Britanic Empire, or the Gallic Empire, etc.

What I don't do is editing videos, so if you handle all the logistics of editing the videos for your coin channel, count me in. I'm busy this month, but I could come over in July.

Aethelred, jb_depew and Ryro like this.
  8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

But @Sallent seems like a pretty good guy, even if he is a lawyer ;)

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Like a typical lawyer, he has you hoodwinked.

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I made a small effort (no, large effort of small value) in the video world a while back and decided it was not for me. Perhaps if we all got together and found those among us with something worthwhile to say and others with the stage presence to say it in a professional way, we might have something worth watching. However, we here on Coin Talk can not agree on most things we discuss so it be unlikely that even those currently into the hobby would be happy with the results. Currently, you can find interviews with David Vagi promoting slabs

and Harlan Berk promoting Raw.

Do we need more from me promoting junk box coins?

I think not. Do we need more with my voice-over skills? Definitely not!

If some among you make some videos, I would be happy to watch them and offer opinions but you would get opposite opinions on everything without much effort. Would we develop a following among current non collectors? Would they be more attracted to currently available commercial videos by people with coins to sell. Like this???

Some are more professional than others:

Who is this guy who thinks Roman gold coins are 2500 years old?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdy6zz94es8

Show me your proposals in video form. I like You Tube for other purposes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPmKRtWta4E

For coins, it is mostly for humor.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ephapZPEGeM&t=85s
    Find errors for fun. (two oops between 1:55 to 2:10 show you really need to have a committee to proof work posted)

Another fun thing to do is to find uses of your photos on other people's sites.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp06IN1UZvM

Carthago, randygeki, Ryro and 5 others like this.
  11. Sallent

Uhm, yes! You have a great voice. Better than my scratchy voice with a Cuban accent.

I think that was a fantastic video presentation on imperfections coins.

12. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

In the past I've entertained the idea of doing a video or two of me sharing some of my coins, but since I hate the sound of my voice the video would probably just be me doing this :

22eN5LL.gif

Okay, not really, but IMO it wouldn't be much better than photos of the coin, so I'll just stick to taking those.

If anyone here is seriously considering filming themselves handling their coins, don't be like this one guy on YouTube who deliberately drops his gold ancient coins on a hard surface at the end of his videos :banghead:

13. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Great ideas, @Aidan_() ! I agree with @Oldhoopster . @Sallent would make a great ancient coin video spokesman! He's got a great Ricardo Montalban accent and being a lawyer, he probably has a lot of nice suits. ;)

Justin Lee, ominus1 and Oldhoopster like this.
  14. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and I would definitely subscribe! A video is best, I'm a visual person. I hope someone does this!

Deacon Ray likes this.
  15. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

I would definitely watch!

Every Saturday, when I come home from work, I search for ancient coin videos on Youtube, lol.:p

Erin

16. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I collect vinyl and can attest there is a very active community of vinyl collectors on Youtube. Ancient coin collectors may not be as numerous, but I think there is enough of us to sustain a channel or two. I know I would watch.

17. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I like the idea and have thought of this myself. I personally prefer podcasts as I have more opportunities to listen to something rather than watch, but numismatics is so visual it would have to be a video I would think...

Deacon Ray likes this.
  18. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Since I am so horrible taking pics of coins, I always thought I should figure out a way to videotape me going into the SDB and opening up boxes. If for other ancient coin people I imagine one video per box would be about right. If for general public, just one video per SDB while emphasizing they are in the bank vault.

Justin Lee likes this.
  19. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Great idea. I would definitely watch. It would take a lot of work to make it successful, though.

20. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

You guys are basically confirming what I thought, thanks! I can see podcasts being a thing but it would be the historical aspect of the coin. I don't have the resources to purchase any high end camera equipment, I think that asking some auction houses, coin shops and organizations for funding would be the way to go(?).

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  21. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

A GoFundMe or KickStarter would probably be pretty effective for this.

Carthago, Clavdivs and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted