The Future of US Currency

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Phil Ham, Dec 25, 2013.

1. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Pere;
    How much currency do you need to keep at home to start every day this way? You can't be going to the bank every time you run out of an in pocket denomination.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pere

Pere Active Member

Well, I do keep a cash box at home (as everybody should, IMO). It needn't be a huge sum; I don't actually spend all my cash each day, I just like to be prepared. I go to the bank when I have deposits to make, a couple times a month, and I get whatever denominations I need to replenish. I need $10s and $5s right now; maybe I'll get a full strap of $5s to hold me a while, as I did for $2s.

In short, it's not really any harder than the way most people use their bank, it just takes a little bit of thought.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  4. Pere

Pere Active Member

If I am planning larger purchases on a particular day, naturally I add some large bills to my regular assortment. I now see it as an advantage to dealing in cash for in-person shopping, that it forces one to plan for more substantial spending.

5. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

That's partially because of the superiority of cupronickel as a coinage material. Silver coins are more romantic and are more valued, but the clad design seems to be more durable. I find 1965 quarters and dimes in excellent shape all the time.

6. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I've found a couple of nice '64 quarters and a whole bunch of nice silver dimes (many of them are also '64s) in circulation. How long they were actually in circulation and not sitting in a change jar is unknown, but some of them are in AU-50 condition or better.

Draft saved Draft deleted