The Future of Daniel Carr Overstrikes?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dougmeister, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I'm still looking for the story I promised about the "Omega" fakes. :(

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

I don't think either type of work is an "issue", obviously.
    I have never started a thread here about anything that I have for sale. I have never asked anyone else to do so either. If, however, someone else starts a thread about my activities, I will probably participate if necessary (as I am demonstrating now).

What "damage" ?
    I always endeavor to provide as much information to the numismatic community as possible. I even received the A. George Mallis (of VAM fame) Literary Award for writing a published article about my "1964-D" Peace Dollar over-striking project. Apparently, the selectors of that award did not think I was doing any "damage".

If I wanted to do actual damage, I could probably make more money by making clandestine counterfeits and selling them as genuine pieces. But I have no interest in doing anything like that. But my fantasy-date over-strikes do help collectors identify the characteristics of dies made using modern technology, because I publish the diagnostics and other information about them.

I don't see anyone changing their opinion here in either direction.

Insider likes this.
  4. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

You wrote:
    The intended meaning of your statement above seems clear, that I am not "genuinely talented". That appeared to be an intentional insult.

But I don't really care if people don't think of me as "talented". If I wasn't successful in artistic endeavors I would simply move on to something else that I could become accomplished at. But not being a musician. In no way is my brain appropriately architected for playing music.

I reject the premise of your statement that there is something that needs to be admitted to.

Your "reality" is not necessarily the same as anyone else's.
    There is nothing to "admit".

The fantasy date is generally more noticeable than any other type of mark would be.

Boggs would hand-draw nearly-exact copies of US currency and then attempt to spend them (for the apparent face value) as part of his "performance art":
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._S._G._Boggs

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    joecoincollect and hotwheelsearl like this.
  5. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

The sharpness of the corners is a function of the accuracy of the engraving machine and the size of the cutting bit. A smaller-tip cutting bit will be able to reveal more fine detail and will produce sharper corners, at the expense of requiring significantly more time to complete the engraving. As the cutting bit tip gets smaller, the cutting radius also gets smaller. Cutting is the result of the tangential velocity of the cutting edge. The tangential velocity is the tip radius times the spinning RPM. As the tip radius approaches zero, the required RPM approaches infinity. Of course, there is a limit to the RPM of an engraving spindle.

Earlier this year, however, I changed my engraving parameters. I cut my dies in a spiral pattern starting at the center (like a traditional reduction lathe). Each complete 360-degree spiral arc moves out away from the center by an amount called the "step-over" distance. The linear motion of the cutting bit through the die steel is called the "feed rate". A higher feed rate will cut the spiral faster, but could result in more stress on the cutting bit (possibly breaking the tip off).
    A larger step-over will also cut the die faster, but at the expense of less resolution and more stress on the cutting bit.

I recently switched to using one fifth the step-over distance but five times the cutting speed. So the dies take the same time to engrave as before, but the resolution and sharpness is higher.

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  6. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

That was "Hal Turner" who had some sort of radio talk show:
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/amerocoin.asp

7. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

[​IMG]

That might be really sexxay with the '33 Buffer purchased a couple of years ago.

dwhiz, Santinidollar and TopcatCoin like this.
  8. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Good point. While you are criticizing the "rounded" poor definition of Mr. Carr's work you may wish to look at the recent products coming out of the US Mint with rounded, low relief due modern die preparation. The days of the sharply cut dies used for the vintage coins you mention have been OVER FOR DECADES! The counterfeiters must be overjoyed at this situation.

Santinidollar likes this.
  9. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

That's not the point as I realize that the current US Mint products do not measure up to the quality of yesteryear! (Hi O Silver!)

The point is that the over strikes which Mr. Carr produces are NOT of the same quality for the coins being overstruck. As such, the coins are readily identifiable from a numismatic standpoint.

For Modern coinage I can't, off the top of my head, think of anything which would even qualify for a Fantasy Overstrike with the exception of the 2009 Proof Silver Eagle (<sarcasm>Thank You Mr. Moy!</sarcasm>). The piece has a prominent DC on the Reverse but lacks the quality of an actual US Mint product.

Insider likes this.
  10. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I expected that this was the situation. Thanks Daniel!

11. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

Some would consider the "1975" quarter, half dollar, and dollar over-strikes to be "modern" coin types.

Anything created on a reduction lathe (or similar modern CNC) is not going to have quite the same sharpness of detail as an earlier die created by punching-in the various design elements individually. The Peace Dollar design is generally "soft" and rounded, for example. The master hubs for those were created via reduction lathe from a sculpt that was also somewhat soft and rounded.

But modern Silver Eagles, although "sterile" in comparison, do have much more fine detail and sharpness than the original Walking Liberty half dollars.

There has been much discussion about the lack of detail (no split bands) on the US Mint's new gold Winged Liberty head dimes. The Mint even issued a statement to the effect that the modern technology was not conducive to that type of detail.

But it is actually possible, as demonstrated by my recent over-strikes:
    [​IMG]

micbraun, dwhiz and Cascade like this.
  12. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Which has been pointed out is a shame that the mint, well with all their technology etc could not do FSB on the 2016 dime. Your '33 has a much better reverse than the mint's 2016 - which does in fact look soft and mushy especially on the reverse.

13. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Just wait. Tentative plans to "fix" the bullion "dimes" may be in the works :)

14. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Good luck! I'm not sure that a panel of Einstein, Pasteur and Jonas Salk could fix those things.

Ethan likes this.
  15. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

A smelter could :)

16. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

I'll get around to getting the gold Merc at some point. I think the prices on them may come down even more, well maybe not cause of the price of gold, but who knows.

17. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Even the MS-70 examples are less than $250 now.

18. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

Not in my area they aren't. On ebay the lowest I saw was a 69 for around 252.00

19. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

I don't think the mint was able to do the "Full Split Bands" on the 24K gold Mercury dime, because of the softness of the pure gold. If you look at the Mint State Buffalo gold coins you'll see the same problem. I just got a 2016 Buffalo and the strike was extremely weak.

I was able to get a PCGS SP70 Gold Mercury for $250 on eBay. I have a condition that requires me to take a pill at 3:00am, if I'm awake enough I'll see what's available on eBay that's ending. It's amazing how many people, in the states not overseas, end their auctions in the middle of the night. With few people awake, you can get a few good bargains.

20. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

This thread has really lost it. Every time someone posts an informational or personal appreciation of Daniel Carr's work, it deteriorates into a baboon cage type of debate--flinging dung at each other. It is really tired and sickening. I will restate what I have said on numerous threads: if you do not like Daniel Carr's work (I like it, as is known by many), do not buy it. Simple, straightforward, and easy to follow. Otherwise, this becomes a never-ending flame war. Didn't your mommas teach you not to say anything, if you can't say anything nice? Sheesh!!!!! This is really embarrassing.

21. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It's really because they didn't care enough to put the time in. They sold it out, nothing else matters to them

19Lyds likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted