The FUN Show in Orlando. Jan. 5th-8th

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ldhair, Oct 13, 2022.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's less that 90 days away. Hope you plan to be there. What are your plans? Dealers, please post your table numbers. This is a link to the Fun site. Great tool to plan the trip.
    http://www.funtopics.com/fun-convention.html

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I'll be there. Some of the time I will be at my LCC table, the Central Florida Coin Club.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  4. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I understand from LD the Rosen Centre Hotel is right across from the convention center where FUN will be held.

When I last went to FUN 2020, I stayed about 3/4 mile away to save $$$. In retrospect, that was a mistake since basically it meant most of my off-time I was alone and couldn't hang out with fellow CT and other FUN attendees.

So if you are going...and are thinking of where to stay...consider that it'll be easiest to goto the FUN location and also hang out for friends for short or long periods if you are all in the same hotel.

My plans are up in the air but I'm hoping to attend. Will keep everyone posted.

tibor likes this.
  5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I'll be there, but tables have not been assigned yet.

6. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Highly doubtful but things can change. I probably do have to go to Florida in January anyway

7. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Have you been to FUN before? I went for the 1st time in 2020...had a blast.

If you can combine trips to save $$$, it makes it that much better. I'm trying to do that for FUN 2023.

R.Morgan and Mainebill like this.
  8. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I'll be there with an exhibit.

GoldFinger1969 and ldhair like this.
  9. Publius2

I'll make a point of looking. Your half dime exhibit a few years ago was fab!

ldhair and johnmilton like this.
  10. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I would like to make happen, not sure why they dont make the location more central?

but I will be for sure be at Long Beach, CA for the Coin and currency show there
    February 2-4, a 4 hour drive is better then a 4 day one...LOL

11. Publius2

Because the show is put on by FUN - Florida United Numismatists. Orlando is pretty central to Florida.

R.Morgan, green18, johnmilton and 2 others like this.
  12. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Was in Orlando last year for a vacation, before taking a cruise to the Bahamas in
    April the 3 days we spent there, it rained everyday :(...LOL

13. johnmilton

The only time I vacationed in Sanibel Island, it was in April, which is supposed to be the ideal month to vacation in Florida. It rained and was cold.

The only time I went to California, it rained for most of the week. They are supposed to be having a drought.

14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm starting to think it might be you.

[​IMG]

johnmilton likes this.
  15. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

no I never have. My trip would be business related. So my company would pay the drive down and back. I have a van load I need to bring to a customer at some point and want to get the hell out of Maine in winter. Honestly if I went I’d probably not want to come back until April

16. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I plan on being there with my photo gear. Table TBD. I'll try to remember to bring a box of 1882-O/S Morgans for @Insider in the various die states that I have. Also hoping that Heritage has the 21-S Zerbe Morgan there which is scheduled for auction in mid-January. I need to study that coin and catalog it in VAM so that the diagnostics are well documented.

17. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it this year. I've had a lot of life-stuff going on recently, and while most of it is resolved, I still can't quite make it this year. I'm hoping next year!

What is your exhibit on this year?

18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I know how it goes. I missed the last two years. You will be missed.

19. johnmilton

"1795, a Pivotal Year at the First U.S. Mint"

The year 1795 marked the beginning of a period when the first United States Mint was under intense pressure from an unfriendly Congress. A significant number of lawmakers were unhappy with the mint’s performance. The output had mostly been copper coins and a small beginning for the silver coinage. The mint had not issued any gold coins, and there seemed to be no initiative to introduce them. Lawmakers were also displeased with the appearance of the coins that had been issued. Overall many thought that the mint was too expensive to maintain, and that a private contractor could do better.

Responding to the Congressional pressure, the mint modified its production schedule. All copper coinage was suspended until the end of the year. The mint continued to produce half dollars and introduced the half dime. Silver dollar coinage was delayed until May when a new, larger press became available. The first gold coins were issued in July. In the fall, Mint Engraver, Robert Scot, introduced his Draped Bust design which greatly improved the appearance of the U.S. coinage.

By the end of 1795, great strides had been made, but much remained to be done. Some Congressmen continued to press their case for closing the mint, and that pressure persisted into the early 1800s.

This exhibit presents an “extended type set” of the coins issued in 1795 and the copper coins dated 1795 that were issued in 1796. Each piece is represented with the rarity estimates for the type coin designs and the individual die varieties.

20. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Wow @johnmilton , that sounds like an amazing display. I hope someone can take pictures and share it with us!

CircCam and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  21. Publius2

If he doesn't, I will.

CircCam and masterswimmer like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted