The Full Step Monticello

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by MrOrange1970, Jul 30, 2016.

1. MrOrange1970

MrOrange1970 Active Member

So I am trying to get into this the right way. Slowly and not expensive. I purchase a lot of mint sets (less than Apmex prices) and have been slowing researching and going through the modern lots. I know that the late 60's and 70's produced many poorly struck nickels and dimes and finding full torch bands and full steps, can be elusive. The 70's I've gone through look horrible!
    That said I'm just trying to establish a baseline and would greatly appreciate your feedback whether what I'm seeing in my 1999 D Uncirculated nickel is indeed a full 5 steps. I know that the grading with scratches is probably at best MS 65 which doesn't make it a really valuable coin, I'm just trying to determine for my own evaluation purposes if this is a 5 step Monticello or if the bit of light strike toward the left negates it.

Feedback is greatly appreciated! And validation of my own grade of MS 64-65 is also appreciated! The big scratch on Jefferson's face seems to bring it down from 54. Apologies as these pics were taken through the cello. Will be putting them in my Dansco as I go through the packages.

Reverse Steps:
    P1010624.JPG

Obverse
    P1010628.JPG
    P1010627.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DysfunctionalVeteran

DysfunctionalVeteran Oddly enough

How do you get such great resolution? What camera are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. MrOrange1970

I'm using a Lumix DMC-ZS8 (older camera 70 bucks on CL). The key seems to be taking the pictures from my 3 season porch using the macro setting. The skylight (natural light) and the high pixel count seem to allow great close ups. I was so frustrated with my phone, I though a real camera might be better.

5. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Should go 65 FS.

6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Most of the marks on your coin appear to be from the original planchet that were not struck out. They are detracting but count less than an actual bag mark hit.

It is hard to grade a coin accurately from a photo and impossible without seeing the entire coin.

Finally, your coin has SIX FULL STEPS. Nice.

Kentucky likes this.
  7. MrOrange1970

Interesting. I'll have to add that to my research list (planchet vs coin contact marks). I'm greatly enjoying going through the mint sets and seeing the moderns and what the process is in determining good strikes vs. not so good. The good news is that by doing this, I keep my costs down while not getting caught up in the expensive coins until I can research (a lot!) more.

8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

To me, the 4th step on the left (between the columns) looks incomplete, or like there is some bridging there. It may be the picture, but I wouldn't call it FS based on these pics.

Paddy54 likes this.
  9. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I think that's just the angle of the photo.

You could almost shave with those steps.

10. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Hope so, because the rest of it is so sharp, but the spot above the T in MONTICELLO is suspect. Given the quality of the rest, I'm inclined to believe it's the angle of the camera and that place is just *slightly* less well-separated than the rest.

11. Insider

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: Come on, get real. You wrote the book! Unfortunately there is not a photo of a FS nickel in your book. IMO, you are just going to confuse a lot of folks here by your opinion (which you are entitled to of course). ;)

As for my opinion, there is not any question that this coin should full 6 steps at any TPGS and anywhere else.

@MrOrange1970
    This is a very easy concept. Take a look at a blank planchet on the internet. If (for whatever the reason) the coin is not fully struck, many of those marks on the planchet will remain visible on the coin. Read this article.

http://www.numismaticnews.net/article/old-dogs-argue-about-new-tricks

12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Perhaps someone can enlighten me, but isn't this to be expected, or at least the norm, on a coin of this date?

13. Insider

Generally yes when taken from a mint set. Unfortunately, this thread has become more complicated.

1. OP wants to know if he has a FS nickel thinkning 5 steps is the full number.

2. IMO, yes it is FS; however, FS is actually 6 FS as his coin.

3. Now :facepalm: the "Ex-Perts" have weighed in and we are discussing if the steps are strong enough to be full or if the nit-picks are due to lighting.

You know what - @MrOrange1970 I suggest you forget this thread and do some research on the Internet. Google full step nickels. :D I'm heading for the TV room. Goodnight all! :kiss:

14. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Depending on who grades this specimen it could go either way , I'm seeing close but no cigar as the points mentioned by other posters.
    The newer nickels do have better chances of getting full steps then years ago. As a nickel collector there are dates you could search a lifetime and never find in FS.
    what really puzzles me as I haven't collected nickels after 2005 how in pocket change you can find a full Step Nickel in the change from your morning coffee. However try finding one where Tom's face ,or the obv. doesn't have deep cuts in them. Maybe since the rims are sharper.

15. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Based on what I'm seeing, the coin seems to have 6 Full Steps. The number of complete lines +1 equals the number of steps. Your coin has 5 complete lines, so 6 full steps. As for the grade, you need to provide photos of the entire coin, obverse and reverse, without tilting or angling the coin. From the photos you provided, it looks MS64 to me.

Jason, if what you are seeing is actually a bridge and not an effect of the angle of the photo, then I agree that it would probably not grade FS at NGC. However, I think PCGS would call this coin FS even if that very slight bridge exists.

+1

+1

Yes, here are the NGC census for this date in MS:

MS (No Full Steps): 15
    MS 5FS: 8
    MS 6FS: 143

16. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

FS for sure grade need to whole coin all sides

17. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

Isn't most of the later nickel are Full Steps anyway with the technology??? I mean like I would go to my local coin shop and they would have books on coin in their 2x2 flip folder. I would search through them for FS and so on. Many of the late 80's - 90's nickel have FS anyway. So what is the big deal about this 1999-D Nickel ??

18. MrOrange1970

I'm really just trying to see if I am correct in the analysis. Will take more pics when I get home of the full coin. Not thinking its incredibly rare, just wanting to know what it looks like for reference purposes. I know for real value it need fs AND higher than MS 66. I do love the debate on this though. Learning just reading it.

19. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Hey, I'm just going with what I see in the picture. In hand, it may be completely different.

I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again. It happens.

Paddy54 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted