The FS (Full Step) Designation for Jefferson Nickels Defined (PHOTOGRAPHICALLY)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Mar 19, 2009.

1. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I did not know there was a holder you could buy that did not overgrade - especially when it comes to key dates. As a matter of fact most over-grading occurs on key and semi key dates. Of course if your buying the coin and not the holder then what grade is on the slab does not matter. Just my opinion.

MKent likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Great thread, Paul. The steps are too hard for me to see and distinguish, but you Jeffernick guys sure go crazy over them! In your experience, which dates are the hardest to get FS? In other words, what are the 53S FBL equivalents for Jeffersons. Are any particular dates known for exemplary steps? Are there certain trends you can identify - for example, this decade, or that mint, or this hoard are generally more or less fully struck?

4. cncman

cncman Senior Member

I can question lots of collections, to me, lincolns are pretty boring, not to mention Ikes and kennedys. Of course just because it isn't for me doesn't mean it isn't for someone or that they are somehow less worthy of collecting. For me, the jeffersons were one of the few sets I could put together in high grade relatively inexpensively and represented a real challenge, getting some in MS state were difficult before ebay and the internet. Also, you can make collecting jefferson collecting as hard as you want if you want to look at varieties, some of the most interesting varieties can be found, double eye, horizontal OMMs overdates etc. PLus add the interesting different compositions with the silver war nickels and you have some interesting coins to collect. Plus the hardness of the nickle composition which leads to reduced die life finding well struck examples pose another challenge. Financially I bought well, early and my set has probably appreciated more than just about any other set I could have reasonably been able to put together. Point is, I don't think there is room for disparaging any collection, anyone can get the same satisfaction out of any set. But thats my 2 cents.

MKent likes this.
  5. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I agree, physics, it's a great thread!

The fact is that even to this day there has still never been a complete collection of Jeffersons in FS. Even with all of the registry sets, there are still many dates that no known examples of FS nickels exist. This is not to say that the feat will not be accomplished someday, but for the immediate future it is extremely unlikely.

One example is 1954-S. The 1961 and 1961-D are also non-existant above MS-63 FS.

I have put together a nice, uncirculated set of Jeffersons before the advent of eBay and it was quite difficult to find some dates in eye-appealing coins. The thought that a feat in numismatics remains undone in this age still puzzles me, but yet it remains for someone to conquer.

Amazing, isn't it?

MKent likes this.
  6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Just going by memory the '53-S is very tough to find. And I'm thinking one of the early '60s dates is considered the toughest, just can't recall which one for sure.

7. mikenoodle

61 and 61-D were the ones I had mentioned. Then the page cycled when you posted, Doug

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I was typing at the same time you were it seems.

9. mikenoodle

54-S as well. Many of the late 50s and early 60s suffer from poor step strike.

10. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

According to Nagengast's THE JEFFERSON NICKEL ANALYST, the toughest full step dates are:

unknown: 1954-S/D & 1955-D/S
    1:10000: 1969-D
    1:5000: 1953-S, 1960-D, 1961-D, 1968-D
    1:3000: 1954-S, 1963-D, 1970-D

The premiums associated with full step designations are often much more than I am willing to spend for a detail that is not always indicative of a full strike. I look for coins with good step detail, good overall strike, and great eye appeal. I really only require full steps in my collection for the dates that are found commonly in full steps (eg 1940-D).

11. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

[​IMG]

At first he sounded REALLY familiar didn't he Paul? :)

Until he brought PCGS/NGC into the subject, over the past two years, my opinions on both have changed over time. At the moment, I think they are pretty even on most coins, and the ones they aren't, they just balance each other out.
    I think there are just too many drinkers of the sweet tangy taste of kool-aid who jack those PCGS prices up.

12. krispy

krispy krispy

Paul, do you think this is a good reference tool for counting the steps?

Understanding Full Steps

I was reading it and kept wondering what your opinion of the article would be. I hope you don't mind having a look and giving your 2¢ on it for me.

The most glaring thing I found objection to was this statement, "in this method, one can read the four digit number and basically know what the steps on the coin look like without actually seeing it."

13. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I think this is probably one of the best ways to evaluate full steps on a Jefferson nickel. This method is called the quarter step method created by the Full Step Nickel Club (FSNC). Nagengast credit's an FSNC member by the name of Darrel Crane with its' creation. Essentially, this method provides much more detail than just 5FS as seen below.

5FS Jefferson Nickel (6-6-6-5)

[​IMG]

5FS Jefferson Nickel (5-5-5-6)

[​IMG]

While both coins have 5FS, there is no doubt that the quality of those five steps are very different. The FSNC quarter step method allows you to see this without ever seeing a photo and is much more valuable to collectors who seek coins with impeccable steps rather than coins that just made it.

The only TPG that employs the quarter step method is SEGS.

14. krispy

krispy krispy

15. CindyRNBSN

CindyRNBSN New Member

Do the FS nickels have to be a certain year? I have a 1971 D mint and 1973 with no mint and the steps are pretty visible. Wish I could upload the photos.

16. CindyRNBSN

CindyRNBSN New Member

Do the FS nickels have to be a certain year? I have a 1971 D mint and 1973 with no mint and the steps are pretty visible. Wish I could upload the photos.

17. CindyRNBSN

CindyRNBSN New Member

18. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Not at all. Any year can have full steps but some years are way more difficult to find than others. If I recall, the 1971-D was fairly common with full steps. The 73 was as well but not as common as the 71-D.

CindyRNBSN likes this.
  19. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

Great info as usual. I love Jeffs and you and @gbroke have been very helpful to my collecting of these often over looked beauties.
    1. No
    2. 5
    3. No or 6, there appears to be blending on 3&4 between the 3rd and 4th column.
    4. No
    5. No

20. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I have a question, the very last nickel in the OP appears to have a die clash? Is that what it is that im seeing? A clash? Or is it some sort of ghosting effect? I am referring to the toned ms66* '51d, the very last coin in the original post. I know it seems like a newp question but i see this from time to time in pocket change

21. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I don't see a clash, but the photo and luster kind of make it look like it. Wait for Lehigh he would know.

Draft saved Draft deleted