The FS (Full Step) Designation for Jefferson Nickels Defined (PHOTOGRAPHICALLY)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Mar 19, 2009.

1. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

it is tomorrow night

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

coin 1- no
    coin 2- no
    coin 3- 6FS
    coin 4- 5FS
    coin 5- no

Nice coins but even better pics. I wish I could take pics like that.

4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

OK, Here are the answers.

1943-D: NO FS (large contact mark right on steps)
    1945-D: 5FS but not designated because coin was graded prior to 2/2004
    1941-D: 6FS
    1943-D: NO FS (bridge on 2nd & 3rd steps above "E" in Monitcello
    1943-S: NO FS or 5FS? This coin was graded prior to 2/2004 and I feel that it will eventually get a 5FS designation if resubmitted enough times but doubt that it will get it on the first try. There is a definite bridge on the 5th & 6th steps, but the 4th and 5th steps are so close, it is anybody's guess as to what the TPG would say.

5. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

and you still think they can reliably determine an MS70 ...

:(

john65999 likes this.
  6. Lehigh96

Define reliably

7. merlin1066

merlin1066 Senior Member

NICE post Thanks!!! Amazing....everytime I am here at CT I learn volumes. :thumb: Thanks again!

8. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

$3000 on an Ike reliable. Come on, you understand gambling.

9. Lehigh96

In that context, I concede, the TPG's have a problem. But I still think they should assign the grade as they see it. They have the same problem with distinguishing between any two consecutive grades (eg MS65-MS66), and for some coins, the difference between those two grades is way more than $3,000.

It is just that the inconsistency between MS69 and MS70 is more exposed and to a certain extent exploited by the TPG's themselves. Personally, I have solved the MS69-MS70 problem: I don't collect modern coins.

10. TimeWillTone

TimeWillTone Junior Member

Article was informative, but I would never spend the money on high grade Jefferson Nickels in NGC holders. Seems like a waste to me.

11. Lehigh96

Why is it a waste?

12. TimeWillTone

Everyone knows that NGC graded coins ARE overgraded for the most part. And, Jeffernson Nickels are about the most boring coins I could think to collect aside from modern crap like presidential dollars or Ikes... Just my thoughts, nothing personal.

13. Lehigh96

If you don't like Jefferson Nickels it certainly would be a waste. However, NGC and PCGS use different standards for the Jefferson series. You can say that means that NGC overgrades the series, but if you understand the differences it does not automatically make buying NGC graded Jeffersons a waste.

What do you collect? Perhaps you could tell us a little about yourself by starting an intro thread.

Paul

MKent likes this.
  14. TimeWillTone

I do understand the differences and the grading involved, not to mention the auction prices people pay for NGC coins that are not informed. When you decide to sell your coins you will find out. And, to each is own - but let's just say I told you so.

I collect mostly key type, but lean towards Barber material and proof gold. I feel that some of the Barber material is undervalued right now and the key-dates and proof gold certainly hold their own in terms of prices realized down the road (but you have to be in the game long term).

And finally, if I can find an example of the coin design in my pocket change it doesn't interest me....

15. Excellent thread, Lehigh! Most of my nickels are well circulated and will be lucky to have two steps, lol. My newer ones and the few uncirulated I have probably have close to if not 5 at least.

16. Lehigh96

Uh oh! Please put the cup of kool-aid down. While PCGS coins may sell for higher prices, they also cost more to purchase. Until a PCGS kool-aid drinker can prove to me that PCGS outperforms NGC over time, I will consider their opinion on the subject irrelevant.

Insider and MKent like this.
  17. panda

panda Junior Member

imo this is a hobby and you can't rely on gaining money, unless you are just buying the silver/gold....

as long as you look at the coin and agree with the grade, then its worth it. unless its a company like sgc or whatever.

i don't think jeffersons are the greatest looking coins, but definitely not ugly. i am going for a full set, but i got to pick up 4-5 coins first for something else.

18. KennyMac

KennyMac 82nd Airborne Division

Wow...pompous much?

19. Art

Art Numismatist?

This is a very informative thread. The coins are beautiful and the photos terrific. Thank you for taking the time to post this information.

20. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Paul, do you think pumping his stomach will help or has he been embalmed in the stuff? I wonder what he thinks of ANICGACS?

Chris

21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You're gonna have a hard time selling that around here. Most of the members here have the ability to think, and they make use of that ability.

But hey - cheers ! [​IMG]

MKent likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted