Featured The Four Sons of Constantine the Great

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, May 26, 2020.

1. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

That's the same person as the ill-fated Constantine II – sometimes, a "Jr." is added to his name in order to more easily distinguish him from his father.

And you're of course right about Licinius II. I bought this one because of the hilariously grotesque portrait – maybe the result of a failed internship program at the Antioch engraver's workshop? (Yet, it deserves some bonus points for Licinius' tiny hands. They kind of remind me of another, even less successful ruler.)

Rom – Licinius 2, AE3, jupiter.png
    Licinius II, Roman Empire, AE3, 317–320 AD, Antioch mint. Obv: DN VAL LICIN LICINIVS NOB C, laureate and draped bust left, holding mappa, globe, and sceptre. Rev: IOVI CONSERVATORI CAESS, Jupiter standing left, holding Victory on globe and sceptre, captive at feet left, delta in right field. 18mm, 2.82g. Ref: RIC VII, 29 delta.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

If you combine the portrait itself with the roughness of his face, he looks like one of the undead from a horror movie.

Orielensis likes this.
  4. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Here's a Licinius II coin showing that, after the 1st civil war, he was very briefly renamed after his uncle.

3LnZw4S52ogBR76t7Jb3J4NcaX8XZ9.jpg

Licinius II
    A.D. 316- 317
    21mm 2.7g
    VAL CONSTANTINVS LICINIVS N CAES; laureate head right.
    IOVI CONSERVATORI CAESS, Jupiter standing left, chlamys across left shoulder, holding Victory on globe & leaning on scepter, eagle with wreath to left; K in left field; wreath over X over A in right field.
    in exergue ALE
    RIC VII Alexandria 21

5. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

A good opportunity for some dynastic-commemorative issues from the two series of 325/6 for Constantine's vicennalia and 329 for Helena's funeral:

Helena at Antioch in early 325, second phase RIC 61:

hel.jpg

Constantine I at Antioch in early 325, second phase RIC 57:

col1_html_3fcf0c01.jpg

Crispus at Antioch, in early 325 (or December 324), first phase RIC 53:

CRIS.JPG

Constantine I at Rome, in early 329 for the funerals of Helena, RIC 281:

col2_html_m3a0de667.jpg

Constantine II in Rome, in early 329 for the funerals of Helena, RIC 282:

constantius anepigraphic.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted