The Flying Eagle cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by John Skelton, Jul 17, 2019.

1. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Wow! What an amazing grade.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

This issue has been on my wish list for a number of years. Love the design! I'm willing to plunk down up to a grand to get a really nice one but seems every time I run across one at that level that calls my name, that said grand is not in my pocket!

spirityoda likes this.
  4. SmokinJoe

SmokinJoe Well-Known Member

I certainly will agree with everyone, this is a beautiful coin. SingleShot0006.jpg SingleShot0003.jpg SingleShot0003.jpg SingleShot0005.jpg SingleShot0001.jpg

5. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I just think the there is great symbolism in a flying eagle, as opposed to one just standing around. The people were on the move, and they were led by our natonal bird on the wing. I wish they would do it again.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Evan8 and ldhair like this.
  10. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

I love the design - so why exactly was the Flying Eagle design retired so quickly? I recall reading that there was a problem minting them but I'm too lazy at the moment to look it up. Die breakage? Poor strikes?

11. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Here are the two Flyers that are in my collection. This one is PCGS graded MS-65.

1857 Flying Eagle Cent O.jpg 1857 Flying Eagle Cent R.jpg

This 1858 is NGC graded MS-64. Oddly enough PCGS bounced this back to me in a "body bag" because they said it was artificially toned. I was not pleased to say the least. I felt like sending them a match book cover that offered a course in coin grading. NGC gave it a grade, which it deserved. This happened about 20 years ago.

1858CentO.JPG 1858CentR.JPG

Here is an interesting observation. I believe that James Longacre "borrowed" the design that appeared on the reverse of the Gobrecht Dollar for the Flying Eagle Cent. Here is that reverse. What do you think?

1836 G Dollar R.jpg 1836 G Dollar O.jpg

The mint was making restrikes of the Gobrecht Dollar in the late 1850s at the time when the agency introduced the Flying Eagle Cent. This Gobrecht Dollar is an original 1836 strike with the eagle flying "onward and upward." It is a PCGS PR-62, CAC.

This Gobrecht Dollar was probably struck in the late 1850s.

1836 Gobrecht Dol Rest R.jpg 1836 Gobrecht Dol Rest O.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    micbraun, ldhair and BuffaloHunter like this.
  12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'll probably trade it for a $20 gold piece one of these days.;)

C-B-D likes this.
  13. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

An 1857 $20 gold? Lol!

14. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

I wanted to be able to see all the feathers without spending a fortune. This is my only one, but it satisfied my needs.

Can we imagine it’s flying in this photo?

01c 1858 full 01v.gif

15. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

These are not quite Flying Eagle Cents, but rather Roman 'Flying Eagle Denarii' (actually called Legionary denarii).

These coins illustrates how the depiction of eagles on coinage, so beautifully executed on Flying Eagle cents, actually goes back at least 2000 years...

These denarii where specially struck to pay Roman Legionaries for their service in the Legions. In this case, the Legions of Mark Anthony (Mark Anthony and Cleopatra), and those of Septimius Severus.

Legionary Denarii-Obv - 1.jpg Legionary Denarii-Rev - 1.jpg

LakeEffect likes this.
  16. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

PCGS XF45
    2016-03-18-13-34-04.jpg

NGC G4 Struck Off Center
    2016-03-18-13-35-29.jpg
    FE mint errors are very rare.

ldhair, BuffaloHunter and C-B-D like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted