The Flying Eagle cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by John Skelton, Jul 17, 2019.

1. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I started looking at the Flying Eagle cent and wondered about the availability of the coin. Since it wasn't minted for a long period it seems like it would be costly, but the red book shows I could possibly buy one for less than $50. Are they not that popular? I just thought it was unique with having a flying eagle instead of the standard portrayal and that's what caught my eye. If anyone has any pics, please post!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

The 1856 is extremely low mintage so that year is beyond most collectors. The 1857 and both varieties of 1858 (large letters and small letters) are relatively inexpensive, 30 to 40 dollars each for circulated examples. It was a short lived series that I guess some collectors don't really care too much about. I really like older copper coins, so they are very collectable to my eyes.

SmokinJoe likes this.
  4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

5. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

It depends how crazy a high grade you want. I saw 1 in Mint State 63-65 going for $700 at a Vegas coin show once. Took my breath away literally. Nope I did not want to pay that price even though in that grade it was very much worth it

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I think it is one of the most beautiful coins the mint ever made.

8. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I agree!

Kentucky likes this.
  9. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

It sure is! I recently gave a good friend of mine and former collector a very nice FE cent for his birthday. Let’s hope this coin sparked his interest again.

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

11. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

If I were looking for one of these, I would buy an EF in a slab. About $100 would buy something really nice.

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

14. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I only have one example of the FE cent.

I agree: a beautiful design. My favourite US coin design.

1857 Flying Eagle Cent OBV4 N - 1.jpg 1857 Flying Eagle Cent REV4 N - 1.jpg

15. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

Eduard likes this.
  16. Coin buyer

Coin buyer Member

I know it’s a hard sell to believe but I’m extremely pleased to say that last winter I purchased a rather large coin accumulation from a estate that was being closed out. I sort of felt like the American Pickers Actors in the sense that the children closing out their parents estate barley had a clue of the value of certain coins. Therefore when they told me their asking price for certain coinage I found myself informing them many many times that the asking price was way to (LOW)!!! I increased the coins value; and paper currency value as necessary.
    Anyway, I paid a fair amount that had both seller and buyer very happy.
    Now then, I was presented with a very large bag of what I was told contained all cents. It would’ve taken many many hours to individually go through this huge bag and so a agreed upon price was negotiated for the entire bag, sold as is. It wasn’t until this past late April that I even remembered where I put this bag of Cents. Upon opening it and dumping out the expected Wheat Cents imagine my total surprise when I saw the bag contained about 80% Wheat Cents, and 20% Indian Cents.
    But, also discovered was not one, not two, but (6) Flying Eagles Cents.
    Rounding out the mix was 4 Seated Dimes and 1 Barber Dime, 9 Tokens, 3 Buttons and 1 clear colored small possible Diamond?

wxcoin and Gilbert like this.
  17. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

If it looks like that, one is all you need. :D

Eduard likes this.
  18. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal.

19. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I have to say what attracted me to the cent was the flying eagle. I've never seen it on any other coin, and while I have no love for the reverse, I still think it would be nice to have one. But since I have never spent more than $40 on a coin, it might take some time before I can work up the funds to get one.

20. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I’d rather prefer to have a single coin like yours than a couple of highly circulated or damaged examples. As always, very nice coin, Eduard!

Eduard likes this.
  21. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

My #1 collection is my type set, but my FE & IHC collection is #2.
    I started it about 15-20 years ago.
    I wanted high grade coins and after struggling with what my personal definition of "high grade" was to be I finally decided on MS.
    My set has been complete for almost 5 years now.
    The one that completed my set an 1897 in MS-65 RB.
    But the next to last one was the 1856 FE.
    I was particular about which variety I got since I don't collect proofs.
    I didn't want anything graded PF.
    There happens to be one Snow variety that is considered NOT a proof.
    That's the S-3 variety that, if uncirculated, grades as MS.

That's what I bought.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted