The Five "Good" Roman Emperors

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by IdesOfMarch01, Apr 25, 2013.

1. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

So you KNOW i have been chasing ancients with a rhino, of which there are onpy two unless you count left-right variations, and now you are trying to set me up on a path of an ancient animal with only one example? You are a true sadist my friend.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

That's not exactly true. There are thousands of types that show primates of the family Homidinae, namely Homo Sapiens. :)

I wonder if lower primates had a derogatory connotation in the ancient world though, similar to calling someone an ape or gorilla today. It might explain the fact that there's only one coin type. If you were a ruler, would you want to set yourself up for ridicule by putting a monkey on your coins?

4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Man, somebody must have neglected to show this coin to Queen Elizabeth?

sasquatch.jpg

5. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

See, that's exactly what I mean. My mind is already searching for a Queen Elizabeth/Neanderthal joke.

6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

... and why did they choose that poor amputee sasquatch to be the model for the coin?

papersplz likes this.
  7. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Yes watch this guy!

He is also in cahoots with 2 other dealers- possibly the same person. One ebay seller out of Forest Hills NY and other in Highland Park, New York. They all use this same eastern European "sounding" fella / expert numatisist who copies and posts wikipedia entries as COA's and uses the same format as this seller. Estimated BIN price 3 x 8 max retail. $1 coin is $30. $100 coin is $800-1000, but he will take $550. A $1000 coin is really a $500 coin is many thousands.
    I once thought all people were inherently good, but this guy is a real winner. One time when I first came to Ebay, I was asking about a couple of his coins (his results account for 80 % of a general search for AC) and next thing you know I am friended on face book. what??? Yea!
    Then about a year ago I was looking at a Nabatean silver drachm in vg at best- he wanted $1200. Yall know me- I was like "blank" no. He said ok I will do $750. I provided him completed listings of the coin selling for $50 -$150, and explained to him the coin was simply not worth that, in the friendly medium in which we spoke before.I offered him $200.

Now he doesn't respond to my offers and declines whatever number I put down. So he will soon go under regardless of how many 70% off discounts he gives.

8. Hadrian75

Hadrian75 Member

Here few coins from my collection, love coins of S.Server in good shape

Attached Files:

9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Never dealt with him and dont plan too. Its from posters on here and other sites I have read that keeps me away.

Love your Marcus Andrey

10. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Ahhh, the five good emperors. The first roman set I completed. Good stuff all. :thumb:

11. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Which denominations did you complete (aureus, denarius, sestertius, as)?

If you have a complete set of any of the above, it would be interesting to see them together. Thanks.

12. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Denarius, just this year.

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The first is Marcus Aurelius.

14. Hadrian75

Hadrian75 Member

Here is my"good imperators"

Attached Files:

15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice coins AndreyR. :thumb:

16. Hadrian75

Hadrian75 Member

Thanks, going sell a couple but don't know fair price, create new thread here on the forume. Will be grateful for help:yes:

17. Bing

I've never sold any coins on the forum, but I have sold some via private message. I believe there is another place on the forum where you can list items for sale: http://www.cointalk.com/f61/. You might want to make reference here to the fact you are listing coins.

18. Hadrian75

Hadrian75 Member

I made a new thread in that option, just not sure what price would be fair, that's why asked for some help.

19. Bing

I would guess the best way to determine pricing would be to check like coins for sale on vcoins, numismall, and ebay. Then come to what you consider a fair price based on the consensus between all the prices you find. I hesitate to give you pricing only because I may be interested in buying a couple of your coins.

20. Hadrian75

Hadrian75 Member

Thanks for honestly answer. To my mind some prices on vcoins are too high. Anyway you can PM me and we will discuss a price.

21. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

IMG_3906.jpg IMG_3907.jpg
    Note: The Nerva is an ancient fouree. The Trajan in the photo is counterfeit. I replaced it at a later date with this non-fake -
    IMG_4207.jpg IMG_4209.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted