Featured The first official circulating coins of Japan. The Twelve Antique Coins of Japan

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Loong Siew, Jun 19, 2017.

1. ShannaS

ShannaS Active Member

My area is pretty much ancient coins (western culture) but I am fascinated with Japan. I bought a koban a few years ago for my personal collection and I love it. I know basically nothing about it but your posts gives me a little more desire to learn more. Any suggestions on books to learn about this beautiful coinage? I'll have to post a photo of mine later on.

lordmarcovan and Loong Siew like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

Thank you @ShannaS . I recommend the books "Coins of Japan" by Neil Gordon Munro and "Early Japanese Coins" by David Hartill. Looking forward to your posts..

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. Loong Siew

Thank you.. zaman?

5. WGS

WGS New Member

Hope it is ok to post/ask this in this thread.

I have a small group of Japanese coins and was hoping for assistance in properly identifying them. They range in age from, I believe, the 1600 or 1700's up to the 1800 to 1900's.

Loong Siew likes this.
  6. Loong Siew

sure

7. WGS

WGS New Member

Here is three of them, not the best photos (cell phone). Will try to use a real camera soon for better pictures of them and the others.

1-obv.jpg 1-rev.jpg
    2-obv.jpg 2-rev.jpg
    3-obv.jpg 3-rev.jpg

Loong Siew likes this.
  8. Loong Siew

9. Loong Siew

One is Tempo period (1837-1858) bearing the 保 mintmark on the reverse. The other 2 I can't make out the mintmark but if 文 then it should Genbun 1736.

10. MrIndy

MrIndy New Member

Excuse me, I wonder why they're minting the coin in the first place. It's because they want to follow china? I heard from my Teacher that they want to make a market in Heijo-Kyou become the national market(Doing business with other countries) But I couldn't find any info about that one.

Sorry for my Bad English

Loong Siew likes this.
  11. Loong Siew

They were highly influenced by the Tang Dynasty of China.. When a rich copper mine was discovered, the government decided to follow the Tang Dynasty system of issuing coinage..hence you can see similarity in the writing style especially on the Kai 開 character like the Kai Yuan Tong Bao

12. MrIndy

MrIndy New Member

I see! Thank you for your answer.

Loong Siew likes this.
  13. MrIndy

MrIndy New Member

May I ask another question? In 722, there were a change in exchange rate of copper coin to silver coin (200:1). It's because as more coin were minted, people in Heijou-kyo could bought more goods? so they try to reducing the value of the copper coin to prevent the shortage of goods? Thank you for your time.

Draft saved Draft deleted