Featured The First Jewish Coin and its Modern Descendent

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Curt: Your thread is fantastic! Well done, nice information, great pics, solid history, entertaining, just cool.

I really do not collect in this area. However, I do have a few Judaean coins to post - purdy humble schtuff:

Judaea Alexander Janneaeus 103-76 BC AE Prutah Wheel  Widows Mite.jpg
    Judaea Alexander Janneaeus 103-76 BC AE Prutah Wheel Widows Mite

Judaea Pontius Pilate - Prutah IOYLIA KAICAPOC daughter of Caesar Augustus.JPG
    Judaea Pontius Pilate - Prutah IOYLIA KAICAPOC daughter of Caesar Augustus
    ex: @John Anthony
    (I understand it is the FIRST AND ONLY Coin naming Augustus' daughter Julia)

Judaea Pontius Pilate 14-37 CE - Prutah TIBEPIOY KAICAPOC Lituus.JPG
    Judaea Pontius Pilate 14-37 CE - Prutah TIBEPIOY KAICAPOC Lituus

TJC, Puckles, gregarious and 11 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

I do not think I have too many firsts. But I DID buy this one because it was a FIRST:

This is the first Silver coin struck by the Roman Republic, as prior coinage was all bronze. This is considered 'pre-denarius' coinage. This variety was struck before the First Punic War which started in 264 BCE. However, according to Sear, these Didrachmae were probably minted in connection with King Pyrrhus invading Italy in 280 BCE at the request of the Tarentines.
    upload_2017-3-13_20-48-2.png
    Roman Republic
    Anonymous, 280-275 BCE

Didrachm (Silver, 20mm, 7.28 g 11)
    Uncertain mint (Neapolis?)
    OBV: Helmeted head of bearded Mars to left; oak spray to right
    REV: Horse’s head right, wearing bridle, on base inscribed ROMANO; to left, stalk of grain.
    REF: Sear 22; Crawford 13/1; HN III 266. Sydenham 1
    COMMENTS: Minor reverse corrosion.
    From a Swiss collection, formed in the 1990s

4. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

excellent write up and pics! i have some Jewish coins, one is i believe a John Hyrcanus, a Herod the Great, and i'm not sure what the others are exactly, if im even correct on the others. blue pruta  my 1st bought collectors coin 004.JPG blue pruta  my 1st bought collectors coin 002.JPG jewish coins 001.JPG jewish coins 002.JPG jewish coins 003.JPG jewish coins 004.JPG jewish coins 005.JPG jewish coins 006.JPG

TJC, Puckles, Deacon Ray and 13 others like this.
  5. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Nice coin and write up, I would love to travel more and see all those interesting places.

gregarious and Curtisimo like this.
  6. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Wow that's a sweet coin Alegandron! The Greek influenced Roman silvers are really cool and several are definitely on my list :)

RAGNAROK and Alegandron like this.
  7. Alegandron

Thank you Curt. It was a huge change for Italia, including Rome to mint silver. The were late to the game, as Italia was silver poor, casting bronze as their precious metal coinage for centuries.

Curtisimo likes this.
  8. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Fantastic thread!!! I'm definitely 'bookmarking' it for later reference too. A superb presentation!

This has got to be 'Featured', right?

gregarious, Nathan401 and Curtisimo like this.
  9. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Thank you Curtismo!!! What a great write-up!!
    This meant a lot to me.

Curtisimo likes this.
  10. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I'm reading your excellent post for the third time...
    ...and thought that I would post some lots of Hasmonean prutot that I received yesterday. These are marketed as Widow's Mites although the the Book of Luke mentions only copper coins and is not more specific than that. When I offer these as gifts to folks, I include two Alexander Jannaeas prutot in a 2.5 flip. I include the one with the star/wheel and anchor and one with the double cornucopia.

20170314_081903.jpg

MITES.jpg

Theodosius, TJC, Mikey Zee and 11 others like this.
  11. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Thank you Mikey and Nathan!

I was super excited to see that my thread was featured this morning :) This is my first featured thread. Thank you to whoever nominated it!

Wow that is super cool Deacon. I knew you would have some cool stuff to add to the thread. When you get a big lot like that do you go through and attribute all of them individually?

12. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

fantastic post curtisimo!

i'll share half of my judean collection...

[​IMG]

TJC, Mikey Zee, icerain and 10 others like this.
  13. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

Let's hear it for prutot! Yay!!

Attachment-2.jpeg Attachment-1.jpeg Attachment-1 (5).jpeg Attachment-2 (8).jpeg

Good job, everyone!

Erin :D

Theodosius, TJC, Mikey Zee and 11 others like this.
  14. Deacon Ray

Hi Greg—The first of your series looks like it could be a 1-prutot denomination of John Hyrcanus; the second is an 8-prutot denomination of Herod the Great; the third looks like a 1-prutah denomination of Herod the Great; and the fourth is a 4-prutah denomination of Antigonus Mattathias.

Mikey Zee, gregarious and Curtisimo like this.
  15. Deacon Ray

Thanks for posting, Erin!

gregarious, stevex6 and Curtisimo like this.
  16. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

hi D Ray, wow, thank you very much sir:)

Deacon Ray likes this.
  17. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I read that Antiochos IV during his reign had compelled the people of Judea to worship stones. This led to rebellion. Then there was the first armed revolt of Jacob Maccabee against the Seleucid army under Antiochos VII. I chose 2 coins that are prutah, one of them dates back to the first revolt. The third coin is an old scan of Antiochos VII. The last is Seleucid but I can't identify it. Judean First Revolt.jpg JudeFirst                   Prutah.jpg Prut  GrapeLeaf Is  Henden 1363.jpg Prutah 69 AD  AmphoraJud.jpg AntoEros.jpg AntoEros7.jpg Antioch O.JPG AntiochSel R.JPG

18. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Great post, nicely done Curtisimo.
    Antiochos IX
    Apollo right/Artemis standing facing, wearing short tunic and boots. Holding spear with right hand and bow with left. SC 2379
    One I don't have :( but you can find examples online.
    And for this thread....
    g235.jpg
    Antiochus VII
    Mint: Antioch
    AE 22
    139 to 138 BC
    Obvs: No inscription, prow within dotted border.
    Revs: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY EYEPГETOY, Trident ornamented with dolphins. ΔoP left
    22mm, 11.2g.

19. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Since I recently purchased and received this Tetradrachm of Antiochus VIII, I thought it would be appropriate for inclusion in your wonderful thread.

Seleukid Kingdom. Antiochos VIII Epiphanes. Silver Tetradrachm (16.5 g), sole reign, 121-97 BC. Antioch on the Orontes, 121/0-113 BC. Diademed head of Antiochos VIII right. Reverse: -, Zeus Ouranios standing left, holding star and scpter;to outer left, IE above A;to inner right, N;all within laurel wreath. SC 2298.2e;HGC 9, 1197e

anthiocho VIII.jpg

Theodosius, DBDc80, stevex6 and 9 others like this.
  20. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Nice! That's one of best portraits of Antiochos VIII I've seen. You can see why he got the nickname "hooked nose." He is also the emperor who defeated and executed Alexander Zabinas in 123 BC which probably brought an end to the use of the "A" on the obverse of Hyrcanus's prutot. Great addition:)

RAGNAROK and Mikey Zee like this.
  21. Alegandron

WOW, did that fly in from the blizzard??? NICE!!!

Mikey Zee and Curtisimo like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted