Featured The First Indigenous Gold Coin of Taprobane.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancientnoob, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

I was fortunate enough to locate and acquire a coin of great rarity and historical interest. The first indigenous gold coin of Taprobane (Ceylon, now Sri Lanka)! This coin was most likely initially minted in Mahanagkula, a city situated on the extreme south of the Island. This was a turbulent time for Taprobane. The great majority of the island was under the rule of the mighty Chola from India, an empire made of up the Chola, Chera, and Pandya states of south India.

The Chola invasion (AD 997-1017) lead by Raja Raja Chola the Great toppled the ancient Kingdom of Anuradhapura which stood since BC 377. For decades following the invasion, anarchy would be the norm. Several native kings would resist their Cholan overlords while battling each other for control of the south of the Island.

This particular specimen names the ruler as Shri Vajayabahu (VB). In his youth he went by the name Kitti. It is recorded that he came from a noble lineage and possessed exceptional skill and intelligence from a very early age.

At the age of 13 he proved himself an accomplished and skilled archer. At 15 he became Adipada or governor of the city of Ruhana. Within a few months of him taking office he was able to rid Ruhana of other local warlords. At age 17 he took the name Vijaya Bahu (AD 1055).For 17 years he would campaign against the Chola attempting to reclaim the island and expel the Indians. His first course of business was to regain the ancient city of Polonnaruwa.

The first offensive (AD 1066) was met with mixed success. the city was taken quickly and held by Vijayabahu only until Chola were able draw reinforcements from south India. Vijayabahu sensing defeat ordered a tactical withdrawal and the city fell into Indian hands once more. With Vijayabahu in retreat, the other native strongmen attempted a revolt. Not understanding the severity of their mistakes, each of their plans were foiled and they promptly met their ends.

Again VB turns his eye to the prize, Polonnaruwa. In Mahanagkula in the south of the island he gathered a great force and obtained foreign alliances and gained the support of the Pagan in Burma and the Pandya who sought expel the Chola from their realm in India. In AD 1069 civil war erupted in the Cholan Empire, now the fight was on.
    [​IMG]

With Indian forces isolated on the island. VB launched a massive 3 pronged attack from Mahanagkula on Polonnaruwa. One army attacking from the west the other from the east leading the center south to North was Vijayabahu. The fortafied city would eventually fall after a 7 month siege. With the Hindu Chola defeated victory could not be enjoyed much work had to be done. The primary concern for VB was the repair of the infrastructure that had been decimate by nearly 2 decades of continuous warfare. Several new tanks (reservoirs) were constructed and older ancient ones were repaired or enlarged. Irrigation was now returning water to the patty fields, and now it was time for some literary and architectural achievements.

[​IMG]

The Chola had so decimated the Buddhist culture on the island that there was not enough monks left to ordain new monks, in the traditional fashion. He again sought help from his allies and contracted Buddhist monks from Burma to ordain and agree on an official canon and theological understanding. The temple of the Tooth was constructed and a great highway with rest stops (ambalama) was built to aid Buddhist pilgrims in the journey up to Sri Pada (Mt. Adams).

[​IMG]

Still final victory could not be enjoyed, their would be more rebellion. In the AD 1080's renewed tensions with the Chola caused Indian warriors working for VB to take control of Polonnaruwa. Again poor judgement on the part of the rebels, the insurgency was a failure. The leaders were captured and dealt with. Vijayabahu would take 2 wives in his life time and die peacefully in his bed in the 55th year of his reign as King of Sri Lanka and patriarch of the Polonnaruwa dynasty (AD 1110). He new when he died that that his name would live on forever in the various rock inscriptions, temples and plates that exist from his time.

He must have also known of the numismatic significance of being the only indigenous king to have minted a gold coin and then put his name on it. Prior to the introduction of Chola coinage to the Island coins of the late Roman design were still in use. Another numismatic curiosity- Late Roman Bronze coins, referred to as the third brass. Originally thought to have been brought to the island in large amounts by Indian traders in AD late 5th century AD continued into the 7th century, until being replaced by local imitations who arguably circulated until the invasion of the Chola. These coins unlike other "trade coins" are not found at port locations but often in and around gem mines.

This particular gold coin is interesting in that it represents the a complete 180 degree turn in the coin production. Once again you coins of complex design being stuck, but this time in the style of the Cholan Empire,this design would never again be stuck in gold but would continue as one of the most robust designs in all of human history. Coins of the "octopus" type would continue into use as late as mid 15th century under a variety of dynasties but only in copper. The gold coins of VB are quite rare and as mentioned before is the first instance of Taprobane king issuing a gold coin. This makes it extremely difficult to find and high forged. For this coin, again I had to look overseas.

I contacted Kushan @ Ranaweera and Sons in Sri Lanka and Kushan was provide a genuine example. This example comes from a private collection of an individual in Atalugama, acquired by Ranaweera Senior some years ago.In hand there is no doubt to the coins authenticity. I was reading an article online that spoke of fakes of this coin being turned out wholesale dated the early 20th century. So if you want one of these coins I think this is as reputable as you can get. This dealer has some exceptional items, I was shown a recent acquisition, one of like 5 known examples of a GIANT Lakshmi plaque coin c. BC 100 BC, possibly the largest known-50 mm x 15 grams a massive Lead triple unit.

This is my recent acquisition from Sri Lanka...

VijayabahuI.jpg
    Taprobane
    Uncertain Traveling mint, Southern Sri Lanka
    VijayaBahu I
    AV Kahavanu (AD r. 1055 - 1110)
    21.5 mm x 4.36 grams
    Obverse:Standing figure with head to right. Crown thick straight line with triangle in rear. In a Dhoti (garment) indicated by two curved lines on either side and one line in between longer than legs, standing on a lotus plant stalk with small circle in center ending on left in a chank and on right in flower as in hand. In left hand is an open Jasmine flower (pichcha mala) viewed from side. The right arm is extended To right four annulets and ball above. A beaded circle along the periphery of the coin.
    Rev:A figure, head right crown as on obverse Squatting upon asana, (a bed-like throne) represented by a short oblong frame, divided lengthwise by a line and two cross lines. dhoti represented by bent line and small line in angle between the legs. The right arm is pendent over the right knee, which is drawn up; In left hand a chank. In field to right - Legend Shri Vi Ji Ya Ba Hu
    Ref# Vijayabahu Type III, no. 85.
    Note: EF , Rare, Rare.

Sources:
    Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vijayabahu_I_of_Polonnaruwa

Wordpress
    https://sirimunasiha.wordpress.com/...iya-kasi/coins-of-king-vijayabahu-i1055-1110/

Personal correspondence with Dealer. ( He always answers my questions!)

Curtisimo, sprag, KurtS and 21 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

OK, who else scrolled down to see the coin first, then went back to read like I did? Cool coin!

Yorkazuna, binderboy0, krispy and 5 others like this.
  4. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

Yep! I always do that, then go back and start reading. Nicely done post @Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob likes this.
  5. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Another exotic and excellent coin my friend!
    Nice write up as well.

kushan ranaweera and Ancientnoob like this.
  6. Ancientnoob

Aw shucks guys, thanks.:shame:

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Wonderful write up and neat coin, AN.

8. Ancientnoob

Compare against the Imperial Cholan model...Claming Lordship of Sri Lanka.

SrilankaGold.jpg

9. Ancientnoob

I also wanted to mention that I was also inquiring about that elusive "Official Roman Coinage" that was used in Sri Lanka for all those centuries. Wait until you see the extremely rare coin found between Katharagama and Mathara also in a gem mine.

SriLankaArcadius.jpg

I would like to think it used to look like this had it not used and abused.
    Arcadius AE4C2.jpg

dlhill132, Eng, zumbly and 4 others like this.
  10. Ancientnoob

11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Neat stuff and how you have it all joining as one.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Interesting stuff, Noob ... thanks

Yah, I must admit that I couldn't quite understand "everything" that you were saying, but I got most of it ...

get smart b.jpg

;)

thanks again (you're awesome, my good ol' coin-friend)

emoticon cheers too.gif

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  13. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

1. Extremely interesting story, and very interesting writeup!

2. A very attractive coin, congrats on the purchase!

3. What does the legend translate to? I don't speak ancient... whatever language that is....

4. Why would Sri Lanka have used Roman coins? That seems to have been somewhat outside the Roman empire, as I understood it. Especially in the time period you mention (which would have been well after the fall of the Roman Empire, I think).

14. Ancientnoob

1) Thanks.
    2) Thanks Again!
    3) The language comes from the Brahmi parent family. The legend reads only the kings chosen name, in this case Vijayabahu.
    4)Good question, Sri Lanka has a long on again off again relationship with coinage or a good part of its history. Roman coins would have made it to Sri Lanka most likely as bullion from south India. With no coin production in place at that time it would be only natural that you would use what was available, and when that became unsuitable you make new ones. That what gives us the imitation. This is when we see the transition from the Ancient Period - Medieval period in this history.

15. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Very interesting. I guess I'm surprised that the Roman coins circulated in India as well (in ancient times, that seems like it would have been extremely far away).

More questions ;)

1.) What was the closest Roman mint?
    2.) Where were the coins used in India/Sri Lanka primarily minted?
    3.) How long did they circulate, and when did Ceylon begin minting their own coins?
    4.) How rare are the coins you show us here? Are we talking a few known, or are these somewhat common?
    5.) Random question bonus round: what is the significance of the 5 circles on the obverse, under his right arm?

chrsmat71 likes this.
  16. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i saw on the news that the oxford dictionary added some new terms, i'll use a new one that i think applies to this post.

awesomesauce: Something which is cool or spectacular.

:woot:

another fantastic coin and post...man....i'm starting to hanker some gold....:hungry:.

here's my related sir lankan bronze...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dlhill132, Orfew, stevex6 and 2 others like this.
  17. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

There are quite a few of those Sri Lanka Roman imitative coins at VCoins. The price ain't too bad for most of them.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  18. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

19. kushan ranaweera

kushan ranaweera New Member

Thank u Mr: Nathan. The article is very nice. I am happy about it. Thank u again from kushan - Sri lanka-

Alegandron and Ancientnoob like this.
  20. Ancientnoob

LOL your quite welcome. Thanks for providing top notch items.:cool:

kushan ranaweera likes this.
  21. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Wow Masternoob, most excellent post, very interesting info,well done!!

kushan ranaweera and Ancientnoob like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted