The First Dollar

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Loong Siew, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

The first Dollar. Bohemia. Count Stephan Schlick and brothers. Guldengroschen. Joachimsthal. 1517. Davenport 8138.

The first Dollar originated not from the US but actually derived its name and origin from a small but very rich town in Bohemia. Today the town is named Jachymov, modern day Czech Republic, it was named Joachimsthal (Valley of John) and the area became prominent and prosperous due to rich deposits of silver prior to the discovery of the rich silvers of the New World.Owned by the Counts of Schlick, the family was allowed to mine and issue silver coins of finesse and weight to match it's value in gold thus the term "Guldengroschen" or "Golden Groschen". With the invention of the screw press, the Counts of Schlick was able to mint coins on large planchets and sufficient quantities all bearing the image of St John and the Bohemian Lion.

These coins became so popular that they set the standard of weight and finesse across future like issues across Europe. Popularly known as Joachimsthal after the area where they were mined and minted, it became abbreviated to the 1st "Thaler". Traded widely across Europe, it eventually influenced world trade when the Spanish Pieces of Eight adopted the standard in the new world. Throughout the centuries, different pronunciations from different countries eventually changed Thaler to Daaler and then became "Dollar" when immigrants started colonizing the Americas.

20180326_200121.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Two thumbs up. Love this stuff.

Loong Siew likes this.
  4. Loong Siew

Thanks @longshot .. Although not fantastic design wise but historically significant..

5. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I agree, as the origin of the dollar, very significant. And the German States produced a vast amount of interesting (to me anyway) silver coinage and this is a part of it.

Loong Siew likes this.
  6. Loong Siew

I agree with the Thaler. Subsequent issues are very beautiful and intricate. Almost a work of art by itself. But i prefer coins with a story..

longshot likes this.
  7. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Great coin @Loong Siew
    I would love to add such a historically significant coin to my collection one day. The Thalers of the 16th and 17th centuries that were produced in Germany have always fascinated me as well

Loong Siew likes this.
  8. Loong Siew

Thanks @TheRed .. I have been eyeing this coin for a long time.. this is the first issue design. Soon after there is a slight redesign of the image of St John.. Also a Joachimsthal.

9. NormW

NormW Student Of Coinology

Can you tell us about the inscriptions. The meanings?

Loong Siew likes this.
  10. RICHARD K

RICHARD K MISTY & SASHA

Very informative! Learn something everyday on COIN TALK

Loong Siew likes this.
  11. Loong Siew

NormW and RAGNAROK like this.
  12. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Thank you! Very informative...makes me proud to be a Bohemian.

Loong Siew likes this.
  13. WashDaddy

WashDaddy AATW!

Thanks for sharing that about the fir$t Dollar.

Loong Siew likes this.
  14. Loong Siew

Haha.. Thanks.. I reckon you meant Czech?

15. Loong Siew

You're welcome.. Not many people realize where our dollars come from..

WashDaddy likes this.
  16. WashDaddy

WashDaddy AATW!

Siew, I have 22 of the US presidential gold dollars and was wondering if you know the cheapest way to aquire the additional gold dollars to complete my collection?

17. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

No, my great grandparents imigrated
    here from Bohemia in 1864. Bohemia was still a country then.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    Loong Siew likes this.
  18. WashDaddy

WashDaddy AATW!

My Bad, Thanks anyway.

19. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Interesting story, even though I am surprised that this would be considered "ancient". Ah well, we just discussed how flexibly that terms is used here ...

The funny thing is that the Taler got its name from St. Joachimsthal (Jáchymov) but that the coin originated elsewhere. The mint in Hall, Tyrol started making such Guldengroschen coins in 1484. The specifications were then adopted for the pieces made in St. Joachimsthal ... and those quickly became more popular. :)

Christian

Loong Siew likes this.
  20. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Glad you got it

Loong Siew likes this.
  21. Loong Siew

Draft saved Draft deleted