The first coin that you purchased?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dancing Fire, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

What type? How much did you paid for the coin? How long ago?

In 1981 I purchased a PR 1955 half for $40.

swamp yankee, Gilbert and Endeavor like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

It was three probably 8-9 years ago. An 1887 and 1907 Indian cent and a 1936 Buffalo nickel. Picked them up at a museum gift shop for $4 each. haha overpaid but it started something great :)

Pawnmonkey and Endeavor like this.
  4. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

1921 Morgan Dollar. In 2012 ;)

Endeavor likes this.
  5. aubade21

aubade21 Well-Known Member

I was probably around 9 or 10 (mid/late 1980's) and my dad took me to a coin show where I purchased a VF 1853 large cent for about six dollars. Which, at that age, was a lot of money for me.

Endeavor likes this.
  6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Many many moons ago. A half-cent and two-center. I was fascinated by the denominations. I probably spent ten bucks on the both.

Endeavor likes this.
  7. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

1865 Three Cent Nickel. It's XF and I gave $12 in 1989 first time I had been in a coin shop and first time I had ever heard of or seen one. I had purchased proof sets and at the time I had purchased a complete set of Lincolns from 1934-1985 gem BU and proof only issues for $150 but these were from a catalog. The 1865 was the first coin I had walked in and saw it before buying it.

Endeavor likes this.
  8. flyers10

flyers10 Collector of US Coinage

Starting collecting over 10 years ago before my daughter in my avatar was born. Bought a well circulated complete set of Jefferson silver war nickels on Ebay. Upgraded to a BU set since then :cat:

swamp yankee and Endeavor like this.
  9. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1964...It took me 3 months to accumulate the 6 dollars I spent. Then I had to convince the dealer that I knew enough about the coins that I should buy this one instead of a different one.

10. re-collect

re-collect Active Member

The first time around, (I'm on my second collection after selling the first some time ago), I bought an 1878 MS Morgan, but don't remember which variety.
    The first coin for my second go around is an 1838 XF Capped Bust Half.

Endeavor likes this.
  11. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Good question. Better than the standard "what got you started?" because most collectors who don't grow up learning from a family member who collects, instead find their beginnings in gifts or inheritances. The first purchase made is interesting especially in relation to current interests.

I think my first coin purchase was at a now defunct B&M. I walked in (with my parents, around ten y/o or so) wanting to see a 1916 d merc. I asked the owner to see a 1916 dime. I'll never forget the response: "You're not going to say "D" are you?"

Well, not now! I was too apprehensive to confirm his suspicion. I think back today in wonder; for all that guy knew I could have had parents that satisfy every whim of their little schmoopsy-poo and wouldn't have blinked an eye.

I ended up buying the '16 merc and a Chinese cash coin I kept in my wallet for many years until it eloped to continue its journey...

Gilbert and swamp yankee like this.
  12. Christobal

Christobal Well-Known Member

Dad got me started with pennies when I was 8. Sometime that year, we went to a coin show in a local mall and I bought 2 Indian Head pennies for cheap (kid prices). They're in Good condition. In my childhood treasure box!

A month later, I was in the mall again when they had their coin show and I bought a Buffalo Nickel (1922) while mom went in a bookstore.

I didn't go to another coin show. Ever.

But a few years ago I was at a car show and I picked up the 3 steel pennies for too much money (haha!).

All of the rest of my collecting has been from hunting pocket change and boxes of coin rolls from the bank. Well, back in the 70's it was bags of pennies from the bank. I took some time off from collecting and didn't get back into it seriously until 2 years ago.

Endeavor likes this.
  13. Dancing Fire

That is a "rare" coin!...:D

Endeavor and Christobal like this.
  14. jerryc39

jerryc39 Well-Known Member

I went big. 1893S Morgan VF25 for $4900 about 3 years ago.

rooman9 and Endeavor like this.
  15. Dancing Fire

:cool:

16. Christobal

Christobal Well-Known Member

It was special for 8-year old me! :)

Still got it in my Buffalo nickel book. Good sharp date. I think I paid like 50 cents for it.

I remember wanting one, because my grandpa had shown me a handful of them earlier that year.

Endeavor likes this.
  17. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

There were no nickels struck in 1922.

18. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

1881-S Morgan; I think it was an MS-64/65 in 2001 and I think I paid like $ 16 but I am not sure

19. Pawnmonkey

Pawnmonkey -----so easy even a monkey can do it-----

I think it was second grade, somewhere around 1971. I saw my first buffalo nickel, no date, and was fascinated with it. I talked a classmate out of it for ten cents and 2 firecrackers. I knew it was the start of a great passion in my life. Then I promptly lost it a week later. :\
    I guess 7 year olds aren't very responsible.

Gilbert and silentnviolent like this.
  20. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Well mine started a different way. I stumbled upon silver at a bank when buying half dollars for an Easter egg hunt in 2014. I ended up with a $10 roll of 40% for face value.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

This lead me to do some research and I learned about silver coinage in it's entirety. Then it began at work. Simply looking.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

I told my grandfather next time in town visiting that I had a new hobby. The following Christmas he gifted me this.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

I am now trying to catch up on lost time and live everyday as if it were my last.

21. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

Very nice. A great way to start your hobby of Kings!!! :smuggrin:

Draft saved Draft deleted