The First Coin In Your Collection

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CoinOKC, Mar 31, 2005.

1. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

So you started collecting how long after your coin was minted in 1969?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No, no, don't do that. We may not see you again afterwards :D And I for one would miss ya ;)

4. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

my first was a 1864 Indian Head Cent :)

5. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Thanks for reviving this thread. I appreciate it!

My first was a wheat cent, probably pulled from circulation. But I don't exactly remember it. I do know what my first ancient was, I bought it at Stratford-on-Avon, for about fifteen or twenty pounds. Its a Constantine I follis, made in Trier in 317 AD and its in a perfect state of preservation. Still my best late Roman piece!

Attached Files:

6. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

Oh yes... I remember it well !

I was a little kid, and was having a garage sale. Among other things, I was selling some baby hamsters I had raised.

Someone gave me a Mercury dime in change. I'll never forget it. Late 60's, when those sort of things were still running around.

Great thread ! Thanks, OKC.

7. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

I'll be next in line !

8. dreamer94

dreamer94 Coin Collector

My first coin was an 1880 Morgan dollar in AU condition that I got from my grandmother. I kept it for 40 years under the impression that it was really valuable and then discovered that it was one of the most common issues and wasn't even in mint condition.

I do remember exactly what coin rekindled my interest in collecting in early 2006. My son was reading a book for school, that featured a 3-cent silver piece, hole-punched and used as a necklace charm that was passed down to the boy in the story. I remembered that I had a real one and I took it out to show my son. It was in AC (about crap) condition. Didn't even have a readable date. Out of curiosity, I went onto ebay to see what they were going for, found one almost immediately that I bought for my son and I was hooked again.

9. jimmyrules712

jimmyrules712 Member

I don't know what my first coin was, but I know the first group of coins I got were just some common circulated Ikes and SBA dollars, plus one or two common 2-dollar bills.

My parents gave me these and I would have sworn they were all valuable!

(I'm 20 now so Ikes have never been extremely common in my lifetime)

10. asciibaron

asciibaron /dev/work/null

the first coin as an adult would be an XF 1926 Standing Liberty quarter. that coin just pulled me in.

[​IMG]

-Steve

11. CHAMELEON

CHAMELEON Toned Coin Enthusiast

My original 2

I had 2 coins that got me into collecting. I received a $10 silver Timber wolf coin from (I think) Liberia, and a 1922-P Peace Dollar from a mail advertisement. I paid $4.95 for each one and a couple months later took them into a coin store, where I got about $20 for them. I haven't stopped buying and selling coins since then. Now I focus my interests on rainbow toned coins. There's nothing I enjoy more than a beautifully toned coin.

12. Ed Goldman

Ed Goldman coin collector

First coin was a unc 1931-s cent $2.00.

13. kidkayt

kidkayt Senior Member

Jefferson S Nickel 1944. Still have it always will.
    First Note: 1935 Series F $1 Silver Certificate.
    BTW got both in August 1978

14. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

You know that really touched me Doug with a J but think of the books they could write for future shrinks!

15. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

Welcome to the forum...I believeI have a coin from your store. Glad to see you made it here, it is a great place !!

My 1st coin I think was a bag of "wheaties" and a whitman folder set for Christmas. Still love em and focus my entire collection on them.

16. mike98024

mike98024 Senior Member

In 1968 I had saved the princely sum of $2.50 (I mowed half the state of Indiana to earn that much) and I rode my bike down to the hobby shop (Models/BB Guns/Coins) and bought an 1828 large cent in G4. I was so proud of that coin and still have it to this day. I remember my grandmother looking at me like I had lost my mind. My 10 year old buddies were suitably impressed however, and soon some Morgans showed up on the playground.

17. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

For about four years in the late 60's and early 70's, I saved my money and bought the whitman albums for the cent and nickel (I think they must have been about $1 each back then). I very slowly filled some holes in them - I couldn't do it very fast because I was also buying baseball cards.

After seeing my dedication, my Mom opened the family Flood Gates and gave me the coins that had been holed up in the attic. It amounted to about 30 mercs, a no-cents V Nickel, about 10 indianheads and five buffalos.

Actual Value: melt + whatever the nickels and pennies were worth (very little)
    REAL Value: Priceless

Still chasing the dream..........

18. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

my dad gave me a 1940-1958 lincoln set. after that i went on a buying rampage!:eek: i still am.

19. codydude815

codydude815 Wannabe coin dealer

Haha, im 14 too, and i wwas also six when the state quarters came out :) I remember the first one i saw was the delaware one in Disney World :)

20. artur

artur New Member

a 1908 indian head penny with unc obverse and absolutly no revese that I found in an old book at a thrift store

21. QUAVIET

QUAVIET New Member

In the present collecting phase it was a 1857-S G$20 Central America PCGS MS63. That coin was brought up from amost two miles by an Ohio State team. Had to have one.

Draft saved Draft deleted