The Final War

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Magnus Maximus, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

In 387 a large army crossed the Italian Alps and moved to capture Mediolanum, they did not encounter any resistance. The army was led by Flavius Magnus Clemens Maximus who was hellbent on capturing Valentinian II and the rest of the Western Roman Empire. Young Valentinian II and his mother barley managed to escape the fleets and armies of Maximus, and made their way to Thessaloniki to meet the Eastern Emperor Theodosius I for help. Maximus meanwhile celebrated a triumph in Milan over the bloodless ousting of Valentinian, he then proceeded to set up his court there and govern his newly acquired provinces of Italy, Illyricum, and Africa. The Senate of Rome travelled to Milan to congratulate him on his victory and wrote panegyrics praising his rule and character. Sadly this would be the high point of Maximus's career.
    When news of the upcoming war with Theodosius reached him, he marched to Sisca with a large army to meet him in battle. The forces of Maximus and Theodosius fought three bloody battles in Illyria. The first battle almost went in Maximus favor, his men had defeated the main body Theodosius's infantry, but hunnic mercenaries turned the tide at the end. The second battle, the Save, was the bloodiest of the three battles. Maximus's army managed to inflict very heavy loses on Theodosius's army but was again defeated. At the last battle, Emona, Magnus Maximus again managed to inflict horrid losses on the army of Theodosius but lost a large chunk of his own army and retreated. The commanders of Maximus's armies in these battles were his Magister Militum Andragathius, his brother, and himself.
    After the loss at Emona, Maximus fled to Aquileia with the remains of his army. Theodosius surrounded the city and Maximus surrendered to him without a fight. Magnus Maximus was executed on the 28th of August 388 CE, he was around 54 years old and had ruled most of the Western Empire for five years.
    The reign of Magnus Maximus is a tipping point in Roman history, after his defeat, Theodosius would strip the Western Roman army of its best units. Coupled with the high losses in 388, the Western Roman army rapidly lost its combat ability. In 388 before the battles in Illyria, Maximus was able to raise 50,000 men without stripping the Rhine of most of its troops. Compare this to Stilicho's campaign against a barbarian invasion of Italy in 405, where the general had to strip the Rhine of men, enroll slaves in the army and recruit huns and alans. This motley semi Roman army only numbered around 30,000 men, oh how the mighty have fallen!
    Maximus was the last strong ruler in the Western Roman Empire and last Emperor to pay any deal of attention to the Rhine frontier. With his death came a power vacuum in northern Gaul that was never really filled by his successors.

Magnus Maximus
    AR Siliqua
    387-388 CE
    1.84 Grams
    Mediolanum mint
    j555.jpg

j555-001.jpg
    These are not very common compared to his coins from Trier as he only had about 18 months to strike them.

The Imperial palace at Milan where Maximus stayed at.
    DSCF9553web.jpg

Ancient Milan
    DSCF9564web.jpg

The entire Western Roman Empire(in green and gray) which Magnus Maximus briefly gained control of.
    dividedempire.jpg

Though Maximus has been dead for well over 1600 years he hasn't been forgotten! He continues to live on in the Welsh folklore and tradition as the founder of Wales. I think the ambitious Spanish General would probably be happy that over a millennia later people are still talking about him and collecting his coins.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    Aidan_(), Eng, Mikey Zee and 28 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

@Theodosius owes us Roman fans a huge apology for dooming the western portion of the Empire. :p;)

Great coin and a very interesting write up @Magnus Maximus . It's fun to read about the awesome history behind your handle name. I had no idea Magnus Maximus was such a pivotal emperor, but then again, my ignorance of the late Empire is great. You are making me want to read more and become better educated on this fascinating period of Roman history of which I know little about.

Smojo and Magnus Maximus like this.
  4. Magnus Maximus

Thanks bud.
    I'm sure that if there is an afterlife that MM is up there with all the great people of history(Alexander, Augustus, Trajan ect ect) drinking a cup of good Italian wine and conquering Persia or doing other manly Roman endeavors!:D;)
    image.jpeg

Hispanicus, Theodosius and Sallent like this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice write up and gorgeous Siliqua @Magnus Maximus . When I expatted in Wales several years ago living there for 3 years, I became immersed in the Welsh Culture as I worked with many Welshman, and my children attended Welsh Schools. The Welsh language was compulsory for them... so it was fun learning it with the kids. I remember this song very well!

Magnus Maximus likes this.
  6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Nice write up and cool coin!

7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

another cool write up and great lookin' coin MM!

i juststarted reading this book, has magnus maximus as a character, which i didn't expect at all...

[​IMG]

8. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Not everyone praised Magnus though.

"The most important primary source of the period was written by Ammianus Marcellinus who has nothing good to say about Maximus. In A.D. 376 Maximinus was second-in-command to Lupicinus. They were in charge of settling the Goths in Roman territory. Marcellinus (31:4) wrote that -

"The critical situation resulting from the opening of our frontier and in the eruption of armed men from the barbarian lands like lava from Etna called for generals of the highest distinction, but by some unfavourable dispensation of providence men of flawed character were collected and put in command. At their head were Lupicinus and Maximus, the one commander in Thrace and the other a disastrous general, both equally reckless. Their sinister greed was the source of all our troubles."

Marcellinus said that one crime in particular was most loathsome. The Goths were starving so Lupicinus and Maximus traded them dogs, to be used for food, in exchange for tribesmen, who were to be slaves. Some of the people traded for food were even "the sons of leading men."

Basically, Marcellinus blamed Maximus (and men like him) for agitating the Goths and pushing them towards rebellion and setting into motion the events which ultimately led to the Battle of Adrianople and the death of Valens."

Mikey Zee, Theodosius and Alegandron like this.
  9. Magnus Maximus

I am familiar with Ammianus's writings.
    I personally love his description of the court of Emperor Constantius II and its extravagance.
    Yes, Maximus was the Dux of Moesia Secunda during the disaster on the Danube, and should rightly share some of the blame for the cluster $&@) that would happen there. Some sources even state that he fought at Adrianople with Valens.
    The whole thing was a disaster that could have been avoided if Valens had sent a large number of men to oversee the resettlement and if they had disarmed and broken the goths into manageable groups instead of leaving them as one big hoard. Throw in some corruption and greed and it's no wonder this powder keg exploded!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  10. Magnus Maximus

Love me some Siliquae of Magnus Maximus!
    image.jpeg
    Magnus Maximus
    AR Siliqua
    After 385 CE
    2.00 grams
    Trier mint
    image.jpeg
    Magnus Maximus
    AR Siliqua
    Circ 383-385
    2.11 grams
    Trier mint

Magnus Maximus
    AR Siliqua
    Circ 383-385
    Trier mint
    2.05 grams
    image.jpeg

Eng, Mikey Zee, Hispanicus and 15 others like this.
  11. Magnus Maximus

Don't be shy citizens! Post your coins of Magnus Maximus!!

roman99 likes this.
  12. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Beautiful coin and excellent historical background. I really enjoy posts that put these coins into historic context. It makes them more than just "coins."

13. The Big Bad Wolf

The Big Bad Wolf Well-Known Member

Wasn't Magnus Maximus the last emperor to launch attacks across the Rhine river?

14. The Big Bad Wolf

The Big Bad Wolf Well-Known Member

My only coin of Magnus Maximus.
    Not as rare as your coin, but still a nice one.
    image.jpeg
    Magnus Maximus. 383-388 AD. AR Siliqua
    (19mm, 1.98g)
    Obv. D N MAG MAX-IMVS P F AVG, Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev. VIRTVS RO-MANORVM, Roma enthroned facing, head left, holding globus and scepter; TRPS
    . RIC IX, pg 29, #84b. VF, nicely toned.

15. Magnus Maximus

I am certain that he probably campaigned quite a bit during these five years, but we only know of two instances of Roman campaigns across the Rhine at the time. The first was in 384 against the Franks which I presume went well as they didn't cause any trouble for a number of years.
    The second and last was under the two Generals Maximus had left at Trier while he invaded Italy. The Generals (Quintinus and Nannienus) defeated a number of barbarian raids and managed to slaughter a large number of Franks in the Black Forrest. Though Nannienus led a force across the Rhine afterwards and was badly defeated. The raids and counter raids continued until 390ish when Arborgast who was a Romanized frank, marched an army to intimidate the Germans into submission. So yes, I think the campaign by Magnus Maximus in 384 was the last time a Roman Emperor would wage war across the Rhine

16. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Interesting coin and write-up. There is much I do not know about the period.
    Roma changed her look a lot from about 140 BC to 385 AD.
    P2280274.JPG
    4.28.16 003.JPG

17. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Great write-up (as usual) M.M. and I love the Siliqua.

I don't have a silver Siliqua of Magnus Maximus, only this (scarce) bronze
    MAGNUS MAXIMUS RIC IX. Lyons 32

MAGNUS MAXIMUS RIC IX. Lyons 32.jpg

Eng, Mikey Zee, Deacon Ray and 12 others like this.
  18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Here is my only Magnus Maximus:

RI Magnus Maximus 383-388 CE AE Follis Obv-Rev.jpg
    RI Magnus Maximus 383-388 CE AE Follis Obv-Rev.jpg

HEY @Topcat7 , I think we are TWINS!!!

Eng, Mikey Zee, Pishpash and 11 others like this.
  19. Magnus Maximus

Her and just about everything else! I am amazing at the changes from the Roman state from the Republic to the Late Empire and beyond. I don't think a Roman Senator from 180 BCE could even dream about a Spanish Emperor ruling Italy and Rome. It would probably be a nightmare for any Roman statesman at the time!

Sallent and rrdenarius like this.
  20. Magnus Maximus

@Topcat7 and @Alegandron
    I think you are right! Good catches, both of you!
    Here is my favourite AE-2 of Magnus Maximus.
    image.jpeg

21. Magnus Maximus

Draft saved Draft deleted