The final resting place of Philip of Macedon

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Only a Poor Old Man, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Cliff Reuter

Cliff Reuter Well-Known Member

Excellent writeup and even though I'm a "lowly" Lincoln cent collector I was in awe of all the images and info you shared.

Thanks so much!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

Thank all of your for your information and responses. This is a great thread to give us information we many never have in our paltry library. When I was in the 6th grade, I started reading many anthologies of the Greek heroes. I received a certificate from the library in El Paso because of all the books I checked out and read. Man (and Woman) have worked very hard to have civilization in the state that the United States and many other countries are in today. Thomas Jefferson had a large personal library and he was a prolific reader. The Constitution, The Bill of Rights and many other documents came from his library to strengthen the start of a New Republic with all of the Freedoms that the Fathers (and Mothers) of our Nation was built on.
    Thank you so much for the pictures and write ups. Tears come to me when I think of all the information we received from Greece and many other countries. I am a Veteran (during Vietnam), my brother is also a Veteran (during Vietnam), and my father is a Veteran of World War II, the Korean Conflict (or war), and Vietnam.
    We have many, many blessings due to the great men that fought for freedom.
    Thanks!

4. Michael Kretz

Michael Kretz New Member

Wow, what a great post.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  5. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

I wish everyone had your appreciation of the written word. it provides a wealth of knowledge to those yet unborn and a kind of immortality to those who leave it.

6. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great post and pictures @Only a Poor Old Man it was a really nice read. I've wanted to visit Greece for a long time, the royal tombs at Vergina being one of the places on the must-see list.

7. Only a Poor Old Man

Only a Poor Old Man Well-Known Member

It was indeed a great excursion and it also impressed some in our group that weren't 'museum enthusiasts'. As it is 'off the beaten track' some may worry that it may be too long a trip to be justifiable, but there are other ruins in the area. And if you want some Byzantine flavour, here are some bonus pics from a Byzantine monastery of St John the Baptist from the 1300s just a 15 minute drive from Vergina. It is in a very picturesque location overlooking the Aliakmonas lake.

smr11.jpg

smr12.jpg

smr13.jpg

smr14.jpg

smr15.jpg

8. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

9. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

and his Iron and Gold Cuirass from the Tomb of King Philip II in Vergina, Greece, 339 B.C.
    Iron and gold cuirass of Philip II of Macedon, Royal Tombs of Aigai, Vergina.jpg

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Oh, man, with that armor, he would be good in a gun-fight!

+VGO.DVCKS and cmezner like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted