The family of Henry II

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I have noticed that I have several member of Henry II's family. I have just added one more plus his wife's former husband.

Here is what I have so far

Eleanor of Aquitaine- Wife of Henry II

Eleanor of Aquitaine (1137-1204)
    Anglo-Gallic Aquitaine
    Denier
    (17.93 mm 0.69 g 12h)
    12h (E 11; W 9; S 8011
    Obv: two cross patt‚e divided by a pellet, m above, a below, +dvcis it,
    Rev. +aqvitanie, cross patte
    Coins and historical medals from the collection formed by the late Revd. Charles Campbell
    Dix Noonan Webb Online Auction September 13, 2017 Lot 163

Eleanor.jpg

Henry II-Tealby penny

Henry II. 1154-1189. AR Tealby penny. 1.43 gm. 21 mm. Facing bust with scepter, curl on right / Large cross potent with a small cross potent in each angle; WIL…. S. 1339. N. 956. Very Fine; central parts clear as struck with a rusty die; no legends visible; good metal.The Douglas Bayern Collection. Ex: Davissons Printed Auction 37 Lot 135. Feburary 21, 2018.
    henry II tealby.jpg

Richard I
    Richard I (1189-1199)
    Anglo-Gallic Poitou
    Denier
    (19.48 mm 1.09 g 1h)
    Elias 8b, W 343a , S 8008
    Obv: Cross Pattee + RICARDVS REX
    Rev: Inscription in three lines” PIC TAVIE NSIS
    Coins and historical medals from the collection formed by the late Revd. Charles Campbell

Richard I (1189-1199)
    Anglo-Gallic Poitou
    Denier
    (18.67 mm 1.04 g 5h)
    E 8 W 340 a S 8008
    Obv: Cross Pattee + RICARDVS REX
    Annulet in third quarter
    Rev: Inscription in three lines PIC TAVIE NSIS

Richard I W 340a.jpg Richard I W 343.jpg

And my new acquisitions

Louis VII The Young King of France
    Louis VII The Young
    Type :Denier
    Date:n.d.
    Mint name / Town :Bourges
    Metal :silver
    Diameter :19 mm
    Orientation dies :12 h.
    Weight :0,68 g.
    Obv: +LUDOVICVS REX (X Boulete)
    Tete barbue du roi corrone de face
    Rev:+ VRBS BI-TURICA
    Croix latine fleuronnée dont le pied coupe la légende ; la base du pied est bouletée

From CGB:
    LOUIS VII THE YOUNG
    (01/08/1137-18/09/1180)
    The reign of Louis VII began auspiciously. Sacred since 1131, Duke of Aquitaine by marriage, the king enjoyed internal and external situation more favorable, the civil war raging in England and the Empire. The abbot of Saint-Denis, Suger, continued to figure in first counselor of the king, as he was of his father. The first years were wasted however a sterile war against the Count of Champagne and a long conflict and tangled with the pope for appointment to the archbishopric of Bourges. In 1145, the king took the initiative for a second crusade, which was approved by Pope Eugene III and preached by Bernard of Clairvaux, founder of the Cistercian Order. Louis VII led with him his great vassals, thus leaving the regency to the abbot of Saint-Denis. At the invitation of St. Bernard, the Emperor Conrad III crossed in turn. The Christian army took the overland in 1147, crossed the Byzantine Empire and came to Antioch in 1148. Operations against Muslims in Asia Minor and Syria were a complete disaster. The king returned to France the following year. Despite this setback, the second crusade reflects the prestige and power of the new king of France in the twelfth century. While the crusade of 1095, the first sign of the revival of the West, was the fact of the Church and feudal, Philip I are still quite foreign, that 1147 had been the king of France to head to equality with the emperor. For the first time, a French sovereign had been lead an army outside Europe and its operations were conducted without the monarchy felt damage. After the death of Suger, which occurred in 1151, the reign of his master, an excellent private consultant, took a less favorable course. In 1152, Louis VII divorced Eleanor, who had not given him a male heir, thus losing the Aquitaine. Two months later, the fallen queen married Henry Plantagenet, Count of Anjou and Duke of Normandy, who went to war against the king of France. In 1154, the death of Stephen of Blois, Henry became king of England, the vassal had become more powerful than the suzerain. In the years that followed the Angevin put his hand on Brittany submitted Scotland snatched the Vexin to the King of France. From 1173, the war started up again between Henry II and Louis VII, King promoting the revolt of his son vassal. But Henry began soon because his impatient son and Angevin Empire could continue to grow. The danger also came from the Empire and the ambitions of Frederick Barbarossa, elected emperor in 1151 and wanted to submit Italy and the Kingdom of Arles. Given this increase in power, while eastern France risked coming under German supervision. During the schism occurred after the death of Pope Adrian IV, in 1159, King sided with the Emperor Alexander III and Victor IV. In 1162, Alexander fled to France, where he remained until 1165: in 1163, they awarded it the Louis "Golden Rose", symbol of justice and piety of the devout king and reward his loyalty to Holy See. Again, this is an intimate union with the Church and the French monarchy was able to prevail over the encroachments of the English and German rivals. Throughout the kingdom, the clergy was over the royal power and legitimacy. Through this, Auvergne, Languedoc, Dauphine came gradually in the Capetian orbit. In 1161, the Bishop of Mende came to Paris for the distant Gevaudan pay homage to King Louis. Dwellers and small lords followed this example and would be undermined the foundations of feudal principalities. Within its field, Louis VII had made Paris a real capital, completed to submit the lords of the Ile-de-France, granted many charters bourgeoisie and created many new towns. In 1165, Adelaide Champagne gave her first son, the future Philip Augustus. The young prince was crowned in 1179, a year before the death of his father, and then began to reign effectively.

Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 4.34.11 PM.png

Geoffrey Plantagenet- Son of Henry II and Eleanor
    Geofroy Plantagenet
    Type :Denier
    Date:n.d.
    Mint name / Town :Nantes
    Metal :silver
    Diameter :19 mm
    Orientation dies :9 h.
    Weight :0,82 g.
    Obv: + GAVFRIDVS
    Floral cross bearing a ring and heart
    Rev: DUX BRITANI
    Fleur de lis cantoned with 4 rings

From CGB:
    BRITAIN - Duchy of Brittany - Geoffrey Plantagenet
    (1169-1186)
    He became Duke in 1169, while his stepfather is still Conan IV, Duke of Brittany. In 1181 he married Constance. Geoffrey died in 1186, and King Henry II of England forced his widow to marry Ranulf of Chester.

Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 4.34.35 PM.png

I do have one gaping hole in the collection. I need a penny of Bad King John. Please post your medieval coins. Please also make suggestions as to any other family members I am missing. I cannot seem to find any coins of Conrad IV for example.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Ryro, galba68, Cucumbor and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I love the portraits and font from this era :)

4. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Very nice Louis VII portrait! I have always loved those (I like the reverse too), don't have one yet though.

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Some great coins, several I would love to own.

6. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

Dang, I always figured I would buy that Geoffrey someday, and do something along the lines of what you are doing. Glad to see it went to a fellow forum member. I have John.
    Mint: Winchester.
    Moneyer: Miles.
    1205-1207. 95844442-4963-4893-A464-16F1C51DA57F.jpeg 486E5E98-F84E-42BA-837D-CFDD79690009.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Ryro, galba68, randygeki and 4 others like this.
  7. Orfew

@Milesofwho

Sorry I bought it from under you. I first saw it in the catalogue CGB sent to me over a month ago. I meant to buy it several times but something always put it out of my mind until today. I saw it again and immediately bought it. Deniers of Geoffrey do not come up very often, but I hope you find one for yourself soon. I like your penny of John. I need to get one of those.

8. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

That’s pretty much what happened to me. Ah well, I don’t care that much about it.

9. Orfew

Here is a family member I forgot about!

Guillaume X .jpg

FRANCE. PROVINCIAL. Aquitaine. Guillaume X. 1127-1137. AR denier. 1.05 gm. 20 mm. Bordeaux mint. Four central crosslets; +GVILILMO around ("G" is made up of two distinct punches) / Short cross with flared ends; +BVRDEGVLA around. Poey D'Avant 2733. Roberts 4301. Good Very Fine.The Douglas Bayern Collection. William X, the father of Eleanor of Aquitaine, wife of Henry II of England.Davissons Printed Auction 37 Lot 328. Feburary 21, 2018.

Ryro, galba68, TIF and 7 others like this.
  10. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Great coins @Orfew especially that Geoffrey. Like @Milesofwho I thought about buying it too, but always was spending money elsewhere. A rare one recently sold in a CNG eAuction for about $500. All i could do was watch the price climb. Ill add my favorite penny of John and wish you all the best luck in getting one yourself.
    downloadfile-1.jpg
    John I AR Short Cross Penny 1205 AD Canterbury mint; Arnaud moneyer; struck in the name of Henry II.
    18mm 1.51g
    Obv: Crowned head facing; scepter to left; HENRICVSR EX
    Rev: Voided short cross; quatrefoil in each angle; +ARNAVD*ON*CANT
    SCBC 1351; North 970

Henry only had three male children that ever issued coins, and you just need John. One way to expand the theme would be his grand children or his children-in-laws. Otto IV the Holy Roman Emperor, one of his grandchildren, minted some vey nice coins.
    540x360.jpg

The one above (not my coin) was minted in Lucca when he was king of Italy.

William II the Good, king of Sicily, was his son-in-law and he also issued some cool coins, as our resident Norman/Sicilian expert @FitzNigel could show.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Ryro, Johndakerftw, TIF and 4 others like this.
  11. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Terrific coins Andrew with lots of history! English coinage has always fascinated me, perhaps one day I will explore it.

Orfew likes this.
  12. Orfew

Many thanks @TheRed

I really like your coin of John. the good news is that they are available. I saw that CNG coin of Geoffrey go for crazy money. I wonder what makes it a rare one? The poey d'avant number is the same for that coin and my new purchase. the CNG coin is in better condition.

I have been actively looking for an Otto IV for a couple of weeks and have not had any luck yet. That Lucca example is superb. I shall have to be on the lookout for William the Good and I am also after a Conrad IV.

13. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I suspect it is the CNG premium - I think there is just more competition on that auction platform than elsewhere. I was also eyeing the Geoffrey up, but ended up bidding (and winning) a Robert Curthose coin from Normandy. You could also consider Henry II’s father, Geoffrey Plantagenet:

Med-05a-FAnj-1109-Fulk V-D-375.jpg
    French Feudal, Anjou
    Fulk V or Geoffrey V, r. 1109-1129 or 1129-1151
    AR Denier, 18.92 mm x 0.9 grams
    Obv.: +FVLCO COMES starting at 3hr. cross pattée, omega in quadrant 3, alpha in quadrant 4
    Rev.: + VRBS AIDCCSV. Around Fulk’s monogram
    Ref.: Duplessy 375, Roberts 4114

However, the Angevin coins can be tricky since they were immobilized since the reign of Faulker IV (as can be seen in this one where we are not sure if it is Faulk V or Geoffrey V). In a way, it’s surprising Henry II bothered with a monetary reform in England, but not his continental lands.

And since William II of Sicily came up:
    Med-14-INSic-1166-William II LFol-Messina-372.jpg
    Norman Italy - Sicily
    William II, r. 1166-1189
    Messina Mint, Second Copper Large Follaro, 25.28 mm x 11.2 grams
    Obv.: Lion Head
    Rev.: Palm tree with dates
    Ref.: NCKS 372, MEC 14.425

Ryro, Bing, galba68 and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted