The fall of the Soviet Union.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Loong Siew, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

The Fall of the Soviet Union. 1991. Full uncirculated set of the last coins issued by the Soviet Union. 10, 50 Kopeks.. 1, 5, 10 Rubles.

IMG_20191228_015526_149.jpg A one year issue of the last coins ever issued by the former Soviet Union before it's dissolution on 26 December 1991. This coins featured the Kremlin instead of the usual Soviet State Emblem. It is extremely short lived as months after it's circulation, the Soviet Union ceased to exist when it's former republics declared independence following fear of a failed coup by hard core Soviets in August 1991 to seize power from then Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev after years of economic unrest and lost of popular support among the populace including Russia. Once a mighty superpower influencing half of the world order rivaling the US after the end of World War 2 and at the height of the Cold War, this marked a historic moment in history where the mighty has fallen.

Paul M., Alegandron, Jaelus and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting.

Doesn't appear there was a lot of effort put into the creation of those coins — essentially the same design across every denomination. Maybe the people at the Soviet mint knew they were going to have a short shelf life?

Loong Siew likes this.
  4. Loong Siew

They knew the end was inevitable. Hence the first and last time the USSR logo was replaced with the Kremlin. However they were still legal tender in since parts of the previous Soviet Republics for about a year or 2 before completely replaced. However minting did not continue beyond a few months of issue. This should make these among some of the scarcest circulating coins od the USSR

Troodon likes this.
  5. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

The collapse of the USSR was a shock to us. I remember my feelings and confusion when I learned that a band of traitors had signed an agreement to dissolve the USSR. It were Boris Yeltsin, President of Ukraine Leonid Kravchuk and President of Belarus Shushkevich. Yeltsin did more harm to my country than Hitler did. We all hate Yeltsin. He was an alcoholic and a big scoundrel.
    And, of course, Mikhail Gorbachev is a man whom we all consider the main culprit of the collapse of a great country. Yeltsin and Gorbachev are two scoundrels who are hated by all of Russia.

Kentucky and Loong Siew like this.
  6. Loong Siew

It was a major shock and unexpected. With USSR gone there is a vacuum on a balance of power in the world. But now at least we see the emergence of China and Russia as the balance of power

Siberian Man likes this.
  7. Siberian Man

- Why is Gorbachev still alive?
    - Because the devils are afraid he'll ruin hell. 1.jpg

moneditis and Kentucky like this.
  8. Siberian Man

Gorbachev and Yeltsin simply betrayed the people and the country. They are worse than Hitler.

Loong Siew likes this.
  9. Siberian Man

Yeltsin...
    1.jpg 3.jpg

Loong Siew likes this.
  10. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

Nice coins @Loong Siew. I appreciate these history lessons as all four of my grandparents and some of my uncles were born in Russia (pre-USSR). And it's instructive to also get @Siberian Man's perspective. Thanks for sharing.

Loong Siew likes this.
  11. Loong Siew

You're welcome.. These coins are not very expensive or of precious metals. However their historical significance and what stories they tell is what drove me to acquire a full set.. No one during the cold war could have imagined the fate of the Soviet Union. Hence the fall of the Soviet Union is akin to me like a modern day fall of the Roman Empire

12. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I would say Yeltsin and Gorbachev wanted to have the Russian people live in a democracy, free of the hated Communist dictatorship. Josef Stalin, was perhaps the worse human being in history, 60 million perished under his reign of terror. I think most Russians are much happier today in 2020, then they where in 1920. In 1938, most went to bed, not knowing if the dreaded NKVD would arrest them in the night, accuse them of a trumped up charge, always, "you have been found to be an enemy of the state". Next, you are sent to a gulag in Siberia, or if you where lucky, shot, which was quicker. One time, Gorbachev visited Canada, he was taken to a "super market" store. After that, he remarked to the Canadian govt. official, that he now knew that capitalism was superior too "Communism". A year later the Wall came down.

Troodon likes this.
  13. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

The supermarket story reminds me of the story that when Khrushchev came to visit the U.S. in the late 1950s Eisenhower took him for a helicopter flight over part of the U.S. and he was convinced it was all an elaborate ruse set up to make the U.S. look more prosperous than it really was, because a) he didn't believe the average American lived that way and b) that's what would have been done in the Soviet Union if the situation was reversed.

Kentucky, Troodon and panzerman like this.
  14. panzerman

Under the Czars the nobility lived in splendour, while the peasant classes where living in poverty. When the Boleshiveks, seized power in November 1917, the masses joined them, and thought things would improve. After five years of Civil War, the Reds won and established the USSR.
    Now, party members/ commisars lived an opulent lifestyle, while the masses suffered from famine/ disease/ poor working conditions/ terror. If comrade Stalin needed workers to build the White Canal project, the OGPU would arrest tens of thousands on false charges and put them into forced labour camps, where millions died of maltreatment/ stravation/ diseases. Names like Kaganovich/ Beria/ Yagoda/ Ezhov/ Menshinshy/ Frankel remind us of the crimes the Communist commited. Putin is like a choirboy compared to those thugs.
    Some day, there will be a democratic government in Russia.

Troodon and Hiddendragon like this.
  15. Siberian Man

Mr. Pancerman. As for Yeltsin and his gang: he wanted money, m o n e y and MONEY. Yeltsin and his entourage stole, took bribes. They staged a barbaric privatization of Russian mineral resources, which previously belonged to the state. As a result, the national treasure was captured by a bunch of impudent swindlers-Nouveau riche. Are you talking about democracy? Fine joke! The bastard (President Yeltsin) ordered to be shot from the tanks Parliament in 1993. In that case, Adolf Hitler was also a Democrat. After all, he (only) ordered the Reichstag to be secretly set on fire. This is the kind of democracy we had in Russia under President Yeltsin. Democracy of tanks.
    Is this possible in Germany or the United States? Never! And will you consider President Yeltsin a Democrat after that? He was a thief, an alcoholic, a narcissist. But not a Democrat.
    original.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  16. Siberian Man

This is what the "Democrat" Yeltsin did to our Parliament. He shot and burned it.
    1.jpg

17. Siberian Man

• I was born in a simple Soviet family. My mother was a teacher by profession, and my father was a chemical scientist. I went to a regular school. We weren't rich. But we weren't poor either. We had an ordinary family. Like most other Soviet families. These are my childhood photos. Do I give the impression of an unhappy or poor child?
    • 1981(2).jpg 1981(4).jpg

Kentucky and Loong Siew like this.
  18. Siberian Man

Here is a set on an interesting Soviet coins from 1991.
    155.jpg 156.jpg 151.jpg 152.jpg 153.jpg 154.jpg 149.jpg 150.jpg

Loong Siew and panzerman like this.
  19. Siberian Man

More nice coins...;)
    139.jpg 140.jpg 173.jpg 174.jpg 177.jpg 178.jpg 181.jpg 182.jpg

20. panzerman

25 Roubles Paladium (very beautifull modern coin design) 471400-1.jpg 471400-2.jpg

Jaelus, Loong Siew and Siberian Man like this.
  21. Siberian Man

Draft saved Draft deleted