The Face of Victory 2

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Mar 4, 2015.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Recently, Bing posted an upgrade to his collection which featured Victory's facial details on a Constantinople Commemorative. Today it's my turn to do the same with an upgrade to my Two Victories type.

Here is the previous coin, no longer in my collection, with a weakly-struck reverse. A perfectly nice coin, but lacking definition on the reverse...

constansCT.jpg

Here is the upgrade, which I've ordered from our fellow colleague and friend, Dionysos. These are his images, to which I've merely added a black background...

constans2vic.JPG

These are tiny coins, and this level of detail on the reverse (made by the striking die) is uncommon. My previous coin is more typical.

And as long as I'm on the subject of Constans and Victory, here is a Single Victory type, also with a very well-struck reverse...

constans500.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Very nice big John, even though they are considered common, any coin with these kind of details, totally awesome!:)

John Anthony likes this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Very nice when you can find facial detail on these coins, regardless of size. Congrats on two very nice coins.

John Anthony likes this.
  5. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

hey John A,

very nice upgrade.
    love the bronze patina.

all the best
    Eric

John Anthony likes this.
  6. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

You are right, the reverse type is common, but not common in this condition.....they are lovely examples.

John Anthony likes this.
  7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

very solid LRB JA, i have several of the type...none have victories quite so sweet.

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Perhaps we need a beauty contest for 'Best face under 3mm high'.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Sweet detail!

10. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

This coin arrived today. I knew it had sharp detail, but I was also very much surprised and pleased with the color - an even, dusty green...

(It would appear Constans was a Vulcan. Who knew?)

constans2vic.jpg

The color reminds me of certain shades of the Chinese and Korean Celadon pottery...

celadon2.jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    chrsmat71, Bing and stevex6 like this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Draft saved Draft deleted