The EXPANDED family of counterfeit large cents based on the 1833 N-5 variety.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jack D. Young, Aug 31, 2022.

1. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

In my previous Coin Week article on these I cited the actual genuine source coin to create the dies for the fakes; the example has a couple of key “attribution” defects that should be unique only to this example, but were transferred into the false dies:

ANACS-combo.jpg
    marked source.jpg

The article can be viewed at https://coinweek.com/counterfeits/struck-counterfeit-coins-a-family-of-struck-fake-large-cents/

I show several counterfeit examples of various dates attributed to this source die pairing including a friend’s “1824”; dies were created, and dates added to create the “family” of fakes:

1824fake.jpg

They also created counterfeit off-center errors based on the same N-5! My example:

1826.jpg
    Mine was almost sold at a major coin show but was caught in time and forwarded to me! There was a “higher grade” example offered for sale by a major internet seller but was ended after being notified…

I highlighted a couple of common marks between the two:

1826-oc combo.jpg-marks.jpg

I did make an error in the article showing my 1827!!! As serious students/ collectors of the series know the 1833 N-5 and 1833 N-3 obverses and reverses look much alike, and I made a rookie mistake, as the obverse has the fake 1833 N-5 divot, but the reverse is from an 1833 N-3:

1827.jpg
    Comparison image of the 1833 N-5 reverse of the genuine source coin on the left and a counterfeit 1833 N-3 reverse on the right show the differences:

n-5 n-3 rev comp.jpg marks.jpg

And to make things even worse, they are also mixing and matching the dies, as they created this off-center error version dated 1827 as well but with the N-5 reverse…

1827-oc combo.jpg-marks.jpg

So, the counterfeiters are creating new die pairs, maybe to make this all the more difficult for collectors to discern “live or Memorex”!

A recent 1826 large cent’s authenticity was just questioned in a post here (thanks @Steven Shaw) and it also appears to match the N-5/ N-3 counterfeit die pairing:

1826 lc.jpg-ct.jpg

These continue to get better and more deceptive to folks not well versed in the series!

I actually added a couple examples to my collection recently including this “1833 N-5”:

1833-N-5 ctft.jpg

I reached my image limit- more to follow in comments:D!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jack D. Young

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
  4. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Yes, I see the 1833 obverse die marker on the 1824 dated coin. Thanks again for these great threads!

Jack D. Young likes this.
  5. Jack D. Young

Thanks; without any other comments this one looks like it is heading for the bone pile quick:D...

6. Jack D. Young

Draft saved Draft deleted