The evils of spot toning

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by dimeguy, Aug 16, 2021.

1. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

So, it all started with the thread, Franklin Fridays. I go to my Franklin album to find one to share. I open it, and to my horror I have several Franklins with a spot of toning. Most who know my collecting style, I enjoy my uncirculated silver coins to be blast white. If the coin tones evenly in my possession, I am not too disheartened. However, these instances of spot toning are ugly and immediately draws my eye. Sadness...may just have to upgrade.

Spot toner obverse 1 (1).jpg

Spot toner reverse 1 (1).jpg

Spot toner obverse 2 (1).jpg
    Spot toner reverse 2 (1).jpg

Spot toner obverse 3 (1).jpg
    Spot toner reverse 3 (1).jpg

Spot toner obverse 4 (1).jpg
    Spot toner reverse 4 (1).jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Bummer.
    Unfortunately there's virtually no undetectable way to remove those spots.
    Replacing them is the best you can do.

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I’m with you, oh the horrors! Spot toning is the worse kind of toning.

Cheech9712, john65999 and Inspector43 like this.
  5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Ohh, Blame it on me !! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

6. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

I kindly disagree. Some bleach and steel wool will take care of
    those pesky unsightly spots.

Vertigo, john65999 and charley like this.
  7. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I have a few of those and feel the same way. I don't like them.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

OUCH!!! :)

tibor likes this.
  9. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Isn't that more like removing the coin from the spot?

NSP, Cheech9712, Kentucky and 3 others like this.
  10. love old coins

love old coins Well-Known Member

11. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Yes, coins that develop spots are certainly a source of frustration. This is especially true when they do it in a certification holder. That’s why I prefer buying coins in older holders rather than new ones. Original, not dipped surfaces, help you avoid the problem too.

Over on the PCGS blog somebody complained that an eBay seller was not “showing respect for PCGS” when he or she mentioned that an MS-70 graded, “First Strike” Silver Eagle had “spots and scrapes.” Here’s a bit of reality for you PCGS fanatics. If the coin has those issues, it’s not an MS-70!

NSP, Cheech9712 and 1865King like this.
  12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I feel ya. I tried dipping these off and they won’t budge.
    E68EB98D-9C27-48F3-B935-A3E74ECADB9A.jpeg

Cheech9712 likes this.
  13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

LOL. Now that you mention it, my coin collection is no great shakes, but I guess my PCGS Obesiance collection is downright pathetic.

14. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

kanga, posted: Bummer. Unfortunately there's virtually no undetectable way to remove those spots. Replacing them is the best you can do."

Fortunately, this comment is incorrect. ;) THE ONLY way to tell that any of those Franklins were ever "fixed" (if done properly by someone who knows how to do it correctly) is IF the environmental damage (spots) had time to etch into the surface. In that case, a gray spot would remain and we would know it was conserved.

IMO, every one of those coins can be "fixed" at a con$ervation $ervice or by a knowledgeable collector/dealer and only the owner would know.

atcarroll, Kentucky and TheFinn like this.
  15. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

Like Johnmilton said above I prefer to buy certified coins in older holders. Sometimes a problem may not show up for a few years. If the slab is over 5 years old your pretty safe to assume that the coin is fairly stable and no unseen spots should show up. I have a 1921 Peace dollar that developed a spot after a few years. It also has begun to tone in an odd manor. I was tempted to crack it out but decided to see what happens over time. It can be hard to tell why the spots show up later but, I suspect faint water droplets from someone breath while handling the coin. The 1871 dime that C-B-D posted looks like something got on the coin either during production or was exposed to some debris in an album or it's possible that the dime was put in a 2 x 2 cardboard holder that wasn't wiped off before the dime was stapled into it. I've seen "cardboard dust" if left on a coin do this over time. When I use the old stand by 2 x 2's I make a point to check for that dust. It can be almost impossible to remove these types of spots.

Cheech9712, john65999 and Rheingold like this.
  16. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

O U C H !!!

17. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

I tried Acetone soak and the spots are even worse now!

18. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Been there done that. Even won a bet from a guy that had a coin in an NGC holder with a spot. I asked him why he didn’t remove the spot before grading?
    I bought the coin, cracked it, removed the spot and brought it back to the coin show the next day. He was dumbfounded and bought it back for more than I paid for it.

capthank and Insider like this.
  19. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Mine came out with a brownish halo around the spot. Is this common?

Cheech9712 likes this.
  20. Chris Winkler

Chris Winkler Well-Known Member

Do tell us your secret as i have also been there and nothing helped.

Cheech9712 and capthank like this.
  21. LRC-Tom

LRC-Tom Been around the block...

It depends on how recent those spots are, and if they have begun to etch the surface. If they are not too old, they are removable with nothing remaining to hint they had been there. If older, they will leave a grayish spot that will be there forever.

Cheech9712, Insider and Chris Winkler like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted